Author Topic: Starcraft 2: It's official.  (Read 36837 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Starcraft 2: It's official.
You see, like C&C3, this is not supposed to be a great RTS game. It is supposed a great StarCraft game. You want something different.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Well obviously.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
starcraft is really the only rts game that ive played, and it was good. i dont mind if the gameplay hasnt changed because it was good to begin with. the gameplay for fps games hasnt evolved either but i still enjoy playing new fps games. when it came out freespace hadnt changed much either as far as space sims go, but were all still playing it. so i expect sort of the same form sc2.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm... will it have the same feature as Ground Control II?  ie, the ability to zoom down to unit level and actually look like you are there with them?

Hmm... will it have the same feature as Ground Control II?  ie, the ability to zoom down to unit level and actually look like you are there with them?

Go get World in Conflict. It's by the guys who did the GC series. It's a pretty good refinement on what they did previously.
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
from the videos it looks like it does.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
My problem isn't exactly that the mechanics are from Starcraft. It's that the mechanics are from 1998. Or more to the point the look of the battle, is from 1998. Adding weapon range would make it look more cool. But what I hope they could still do is adding more animation to the little guys. For ****s sake they are standing still and shooting. Or standing still and slashing with something. Little more lively animation would make it look like a real battle. I'm seeing some creative death animations in the videos but other than that, the fighting looks boring.
Weapons fire has very little visible effect on anything, terrain or units, except for the impact sprite.

Other major gripe I have are the air units. Floating still and shooting? As long as I have played RTS I have hated that. Though you are right in that chancing that in to something else would make the koreans rebel or something. Too bad.

The unit scale is cartoony. I could understand it in Starcraft. But in this day and age with this technology, you'd think the scale could be a bit more believeable.

I know Supreme Commander is the king now and I never had any delusions of Starcraft 2 getting anywhere near it. But Age of Empires 3 had more visually appealing fireworks that what I saw in those vids. No. I'm really not looking forward for this.
I can't say I agree.  Not on all points...I do think the weapons animation and moving units while attacking and all of that is nice and I don't think we'll be getting that from SC2...C&C3 did that fairly well actually as did C&C Generals but many people seem to hate those games around here so I'm not sure what it will help with.

As for unit scale and range...I don't see those as a big deal.  I really don't care if the Marine can fire 4 spaces or 6 spaces or whatever it is...some units like the Siege tank are firing from a long distance and others get right up close and personal.  Cartoony scale is a stylistic thing and I'm sure they did it on purpose in the first one and in this one too.  Scale is partly a technology thing and also a playability thing but the key is mashing that together in one style.  Obviously they have a particular style they want to stick with.

Everyone has their own ideas...if I were making a RTS it'd be allot different than StarCraft is or C&C is and maybe that'd be for the better or for the worse...I don't know.  But I do see why they are doing things they way they are doing things.  Some changes would add nothing to the series and probably take away from it.  Some other changes would be really neat but may not work out nicely for gameplay.  For instance I've always wanted to see a fully destructible field of battle and we've gone nowhere on that.  Probably for playability reasons...C&C2 had a partially destructible playing field and it ended up being annoying as a large missile or shell would put a divot in the terrain around your base and all that meant was that you couldn't put a building there anymore...wasn't all that great.

So everyone is entitled but I think some things have to make sense or have to fit the style established and there isn't a point in changing the style.

I'd be really interested to see what you would do if you could make your own RTS.  What features would you have?
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Why is everyone given Starcraft 2 a hard time when the game is even out yet?? i have seen on other forums people saying it rubbish etc, how can people say that when they havent played it? i will make my judgement on the game when it is released and have played it for myself, but i will say this Blizzard always make good solid fun games, i have never seen blizzard do a poor game.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Why is everyone given Starcraft 2 a hard time when the game is even out yet?? i have seen on other forums people saying it rubbish etc, how can people say that when they havent played it? i will make my judgement on the game when it is released and have played it for myself, but i will say this Blizzard always make good solid fun games, i have never seen blizzard do a poor game.

QFT. Personally, I'll be perfectly happy with good old Starcraft style gameplay. I wouldn't like it too much if everything was changed around so it was unfamilar...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

QFT. Personally, I'll be perfectly happy with good old Starcraft style gameplay. I wouldn't like it too much if everything was changed around so it was unfamilar...
Basically they are making this sequel for you :)

I think its funny on here some are annoyed that SC2 is going to be pretty much like the original with some minor changes and some of the Battle.net forum people are annoyed because SC2 has some small changes to the gameplay.  Its a dichotomy that Blizzard has to deal with in trying to make a game that will appeal to the mass market and change enough stuff to warrant it being a sequel but on the other hand not be so different as to turn off the original massive fan base.

They probably will do just fine...they usually do.  It'll be a good solid high quality game with few bugs probably long term support...probably an expansion pack...thats what I see in the future :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
As long as they have a good story and plenty of coolies cinematics, i'll be sound as a pound.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well obviously.

So go into a French restaurant and complain they're not serving Thai, basically?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you cant make a game for everyone, you have the die hard nostalgia freaks who say dont change anything. then you got the rts gurus looking for the game to include all the evolutions to the genre that have taken place in the last 10 years. you gotta make the game desirable to both. the only thing you can do is aim for the middle, or just make the game you want to make. really id perfer the latter. at this point im gonna get it no matter what way it turns.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Must admit i am really really really can't wait to see some of the cinematics in sc2, blizz always do an outstanding job on them, i do think blizzard are trying something new, they way the storyline is told, from what i can gather the terran part of the game when your not in missions is you can go round different parts of the hyperion and interact with the crew and do a few side quests like a RPG and if they can pull that of i think will be reall cool and add a new depth to game, now that is new in my opinion in RTS's and i havent seen any other RTS's do something like that but i may be wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
They should pull and inverse Tremulous: an RTS with a little bit of FPS thrown in, instead of (like Trem) an FPS with a little bit of RTS thrown in.  ;)  Go play Trem and see if you can come up with an idea.  :D  XD

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Tremulus is unbalanced ATM...aliens are overpowered.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yes, I know... believe me.  ;)  Supposedly v1.2 is supposed to help fix that...  What would help, IMHO, is to give turrets quadruple the current range, quadruple the current rate of fire, and 1/4 the current hit points per shot, and 150% of their current turning rate... or something similar.  Gives the little aliens a chance to evade them, but doesn't allow the dretch to dance all around them without getting hit once, and makes it so you can strategically place them, instead of clustering them all around the base.  I mean, c'mon, these are turrets!!  They aren't crossbows, and even crossbows have more range than the current incarnation of the turrets.

[/end rant]

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yes, I know... believe me.  ;)  Supposedly v1.2 is supposed to help fix that...  What would help, IMHO, is to give turrets quadruple the current range, quadruple the current rate of fire, and 1/4 the current hit points per shot, and 150% of their current turning rate... or something similar.  Gives the little aliens a chance to evade them, but doesn't allow the dretch to dance all around them without getting hit once, and makes it so you can strategically place them, instead of clustering them all around the base.  I mean, c'mon, these are turrets!!  They aren't crossbows, and even crossbows have more range than the current incarnation of the turrets.

[/end rant]

Not to mention that the human weapons really aren't powerfull at all. 7 Mass driver shots in the head of a Dragon and it's still merrily pouncing on me????

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
If the server or your ping is over 100, you have to adjust accordingly.... and, the Mass Driver has different aiming spots depending on the distance involved.... if you notice, there is a tiny dot (actually a small dash) on the top of the reticle, in the center.   This is used for extremely long range.  (shoot the wall from across the map to see).
    _
  \   /
    O
    |

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If the server or your ping is over 100, you have to adjust accordingly.... and, the Mass Driver has different aiming spots depending on the distance involved.... if you notice, there is a tiny dot (actually a small dash) on the top of the reticle, in the center.   This is used for extremely long range.  (shoot the wall from across the map to see).
    _
  \   /
    O
    |

All shot were scored at close range and I didn't have a high ping.. :blah: