Author Topic: A Truly Difficult FS2 Challenge....  (Read 1785 times)

A Truly Difficult FS2 Challenge....
I'm looking to set up a keyboard-only control configuration for FS2.

A little background:  The last time I went on vacation, I installed Descent II on my ****ty, old Gateway laptop.  I rather surprised myself with how easy it actually was to ditch the joystick in favor of keyboard-only, after more years of play than I care to admit to.  That same summer also marked the death of that laptop's keyboard.  It finally had the courtesy of putting itself out of my misery, which made it pretty easy to rationalize the purchase of a new laptop.  It's no gaming rig, but it's easily got enough graphics processing power to run retail FS2.

Problem is, the controls for Descent II don't even compare to what's necessary to fight effectively in FS2.  Without posting that enormously ugly D2 config, it centered around WADS and exploiting the fact that the cursor keys on the old laptop were right next to a few other keys (Control, Shift, and End).  While the new keyboard's cursor keys are located around a similar number of keys, I'm not sure that's necessarily enough.  That led me immediately onto the path of WADS + JILK, or something similar, but it starts to get complicated when both sets of flight controls have other critical functions competing.

Translating my usual number-pad controls, but the right-hand side of my keyboard needs to pick up all of the functions I would usually place on a joystick.  That's a lot of competing, very oft-used functions....  Two keys for maneuvering on each of three axes (pitch, yaw, and roll), and then you get into weapons, both firing and selection.

To clarify, yes, this will be a mouse-less configuration.

Blah, blah, blah, external mouse, blah, blah, USB peripheral, blah, blah.

Shuddap.  I'm not looking for product recommendations.

Anyway, I'm just seeking some guidance, regarding where to go from the starting point of my D2.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: A Truly Difficult FS2 Challenge....
The only way I've ever gotten a workable Laptop KB-only config is by re-mapping most of the KB, sacrificing things like "Cycle Primaries Backwards".

On the other hand, I play fine with just my laptop KB and the built-in mouse (Thinkpad Trackpoint) without any loss of functionality, which makes it easy to play on the go.

EDIT: However, If your laptop has a full-sized KB, it's a whole different story.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Actually, the new laptop is an IBM Thinkpad X60, so your note about the trackpoint mouse intrigues me.  I rather discounted its usefulness for gaming wholesale.  Seems like providing the constant pressure that maneuvering requires is a good way to snap one's index finger off at the bottom knuckle, but I might need to reconsider its utility as a mini-joystick....

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Actually, the new laptop is an IBM Thinkpad X60, so your note about the trackpoint mouse intrigues me.  I rather discounted its usefulness for gaming wholesale.  Seems like providing the constant pressure that maneuvering requires is a good way to snap one's index finger off at the bottom knuckle, but I might need to reconsider its utility as a mini-joystick....

It works surprisingly well once you get the sensitivity to your liking.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

On the other hand, I play fine with just my laptop KB and the built-in mouse (Thinkpad Trackpoint) without any loss of functionality, which makes it easy to play on the go.

good, somebody in my situation! where did you put the Spin (?)(=rotation on nose-tail axis)  button?

:nod: :nod:
and, after some time, the poor button looses its sensitivity (and  don't know how to repair it)
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
good, somebody in my situation! where did you put the Spin (?)(=rotation on nose-tail axis)  button?
I never use the default bindings for [ and ], so I put it there, as my hand's already there for full speed and full stop.

:nod: :nod:
and, after some time, the poor button looses its sensitivity (and  don't know how to repair it)

I know you can buy replacements for the rubber part. I've only used the classic and the soft dome, but the soft rim looks interesting. 6 heads for $10 doesn't sound too bad.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 03:37:06 am by Turey »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Whats wrong with the default config?  I played throught the FS1 demo all the way to SCP Derelict and WC Saga prologue on original KB config and i've got no complaints at all :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Laptops don't have numpads.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I use a mouse and keyboard, but my keyboard mapping does not include the numpad.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]