Poll

What is your favorite destroyer you where stationed on?

GTD Galatea (Orion class, destroyed by Lucifer during the Great War)
GTD Bastion (Orion class, Self-Destructed to collapse a Jump Node and prevent the Sathanas fleet from expanding further into GTVA space during the second shivan incursion)
GTD Krios (Orion class, destroyed by GTI Fighters during the GTI Rebellion)
GTD Soyakaze (Orion class)
GTD Aquatine (Hecate class)
GVD Psamtik (destoyed by SJ Sathanas nr. 2, the second shivan incursion)

Author Topic: Favorite Destroyer (but somewhat different)  (Read 9703 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Re: Favorite Destroyer (but somewhat different)
And besides, what good is not being a pussy if you're DEAD? I mean, me personally, I'd rather be alive and a pussy than dead and not one.
So, you're not keen on the whole liberty-or-death, die-for-a-good-cause, all-for-one-and-one-for-all thing?

No, it's just that the Bastion wasn't needed. As seen in the last mission of FS1, the Lucifer would have been destroyed even if the Bastion hadn't followed.

With that said, I can use this argument: do you really define "not be a pussy" as a cause worthy of dying for? :nervous:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:47:25 pm by thesizzler »

Offline Kie99

If the Bastion had entered the node, the Lucifer would have surely just turned round and annihilated it, it wouldn't have done any good.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Somehow, I can't picture something the size of the Lucifer being able to pull a 180 in the midst of an interdimensional corridor. :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I don't think that the ship who is the subspace's "center" would be able to move at all...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It could, however, launch hordes of fighters / bombers... :rolleyes:  But the same goes for the Bastion.  And without shields, the Lucy would be pretty vulnerable to the Bastion's turrets.  Capships without shields is what they were designed for, after all... :drevil:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It could, however, launch hordes of fighters / bombers... :rolleyes:

Which is sort of what it did. It launched fighters.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
How much less hitpoints did the Bastion have than the Lucifer? Using just the Bastion's turrets would take way too long and all of the fighters would be stuck protecting the Bastion, and with all of it's fighter compliment out, the GTA bombers wouldn't stand a chance. But without the Bastion, as seen in the last FS1 mission, they would view the hostiles as less of a threat, and sortie less craft.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Bastion has 100,000 hitpoints, the Lucifer has 800,000.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
That was a rhetorical question :nervous:.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So kill me.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
*eyes sodium chloride shaker*

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Whenever I play FS, I imagine that the player character is always the same person, regardless of the campaign played (I have never ever played JAD though, so that one probably doesn't count.)

Be it FS1, FS2, Inferno, Transcend, Sync, whatever.

"The year might be 2400, but I WILL CONTINUE FIGHTING FOR ADMIRAL WOLF!!!"

:lol:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
*eyes sodium chloride shaker*

Geez what do you think the tungsten carbide shells are for? :rolleyes:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Soyakaze, but, admittedly, more for what I have done with it then what was done with it in any canon, and I suspect ST:R.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Soyakaze, but, admittedly, more for what I have done with it then what was done with it in any canon, and I suspect ST:R.
Eh?  What have you done with it?

And what do you mean, you "suspect"?  You're a beta tester!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Still do not see bits. :p That and I wasn't willing to go back and check...

Anyways the Soyakaze is supposed to play a semi-central role in my next campaign, but due to irreconcible table problems (at least I think they were with the tables, but they happened in FRED; you lost the cursor, but only seemed to occur with some tables) I've had to start over.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

i find this whole arguement about the bastion and the lucifer quite funny. did you forget what happened to the subspace corridor when the lucy blew? if the bastion was in there then the GTVA would be missing the destroyer that saved them from the sath fleet. then what.

Then they'd use another Orion, maybe?  It's not like there was some colossal shortage of them or anything.  Just right off the top of my head, I know the Messana was still floating about by that point in the campaign.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think it was a trade off between being realistic and protecting Earth. Yes, they could send the Bastion after the Lucifer, but against the beam cannon on the Lucifer, it would last something like 3 shots. The difference between Destroyers in FS1 was far far greater than in FS2.

The fact is that, if the attack DID fail, they needed something in place to stop the Lucifer getting back out again, there's only one way in and out of the Sol system via subspace, so the only way out for the Lucifer was back along the route it had come. This meant another journey without shields, whereby the Bastion would have another shot at taking it down.