Author Topic: Insert CD? I have free version!  (Read 16697 times)

Offline Werewere

• Whoa! How long has THAT been there?
Insert CD? I have free version!
 :mad: *various, very loud swearing in 3 languages* :mad:
I expected death to be less death-y

Offline Werewere

Re: Insert CD? I have free version!
i have the free version and when i try to start the campaign it says "please insert CD 2" :confused:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Where'd you get it?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
In what way did you install fs2 and how do you run it? After knowing this i can answer your question.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Werewere

i used winRAR to decompress
everything was perfedt until i tryed campaign and it wanted a cd

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

Where'd you get it?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/Downloads/HotUv1.20Pack.rar

I'd also like to know where you got it from too.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Werewere

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=38283.0.html
right on this website
thats why i posted question here
the F&Q in the download didnt tell me anything so its probably an isloated issue

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That version is very, very old. ShivanSPS made quite a few mistakes in the way he packaged things in the v1.0 download (Not including a hacked executable for FS2 which doesn't ask for the CDs is just one of them.)

My advice would be to use Turey's installer to update it to a full SCP install as you'll probably have problems with the version you have (I believe that it ran on 3.6.7 which is so full of bugs compared to 3.6.9 that you'd be silly not to upgrade for that alone!). You should also rename your Data folder to something else and make a new one with empty folders as  if I remember correctly that was a source of a lot of the bugs.

Incidentally though the reason it was asking for the CDs is cause you're running the wrong file. Freespace2.exe  and FS2.exe are the Retail versions. You want to run launcher.exe to get the SCP running.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer

Be more descriptive in the future. We're all use to many locations to get fs around here. So it really helps to tell where you got it from as opposed to us guessing (because we will not guess). Even the way you installed it, there's the fso-dvd, shivansps pack, turey's installer, fs2 retail install, and the hotu version which i would stay away from. That you used winrar to decompress....yeah i decompress lots of files for fsopen as well, but since i don't know which one you're running or even get a hint for how you installed it to even point to some evidence as to which of the various methods you used to get fs, then we at hlpbb still can't help.

But, the number one way i recomend that wont ask for cd's at all is Turey's online installer to get you the latest and greatest in everything fs2.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:11:43 pm by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
and the hotu version which i would stay away from.

OI! Don't have a go at the HotU version. If you're planning to upgrade to SCP and have no interest in retail, v2 is actually the best way to get FS2 retail onto your PC. Download, extract. That's it.

v1 on the other hand was a pain in the arse.

Offline Werewere

It shows me this really super duper long error message if i try to run it

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm... can you d'l hip63's DVD, + the 1.01 patch, and install them?  I'd do that, if you don't have high-speed internet on the computer you're trying to install to.  If you do, of course, then use the Installer.

Only thing: if you use hip63's DVD, after it installs & you run the patch, rename the folder FS1_port_3 to fsport or it will not work with other campaigns.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Hmm that's an old version of FSOpen you're using? From the 25th Jan 2006 from the title of it? Try using the 3.6.9 version as it is more stable and less buggy! As said use Turey's installer in jr2 signature or the post above to upgrade to all the latest stuff!  :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That error is caused by trying to run FS2_Open without running launcher.exe first if I remember correctly.

Offline Werewere

ty for all your help
unfortunenately i got a virus from a torrent i downloaded and to make sure it was dead and gone,  i decided to delete my torrent reader
if theres a non-torrent version i would be happy to download it

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Lol, sounds like what happened to me one time. The big mistake was that i didn't download my preferred torrent client from the makers official webpage. I downloaded it from somewhere else, where some cheesey guy repackaged it with some spyware and trojans.

So yeah, download software only from the makers webpage. And that'll save you a lot of trouble.

And yes there's a non-torrent way of getting fsopen. Turey's installer!!!! It's like i mentioned this earlier in the thread or something. But turey's installer is really just a checklist of what you want to build your own customized fsopen on your machine. After you checked off stuff on the checklist to give you a fully working fsopen with whatever campaigns, it just connects to the server where all of the data is and downloads it to your machine. It'll take it's time, but as long as you have highspeed internet you should be good to get the game in 4 hours or so. Don't badmouth the installer, it's really easy and efficient, and great to get with it downloading when say you're away from home or not going to use your computer for a while (such as overnight). It's not that tureys installer is slow;it's not. It's that fs2 open is 2.2gb total in size and bigger depending on what extra stuff like campaigns you want to get along with it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:41:37 pm by S-99 »

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
OK, get your torrent client here:

http://www.utorrent.com/

You can get either the stable, stand-alone version, the stable, installable version (I recommend this one), or the experimental new version.  Huggybaby recommends uTorrent, and, having used it, I do now also recommend it.  I used to use Azureus, but it's too bloated now.  :(

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I recommend bitcomet. BITCOMET THE ****Z. That's the one i recommend. Doesn't take much resources, it's very fast, and has support for dht like no other torrent client out there. In fact if you want to only download from dht peers without using any peers that are on trackers, you can do that as well with bitcomet. Dht networking is trackerless, and is therefore untraceable. With bitcomet, you can download only from dht, or only from trackers, or download from trackers and the dht network for extra peers and faster download. But, yes, bitcomet, you might like it. It runs great in wine too since ktorrent sucks for dht.

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
uTorrent runs at about 5MB mem usage, I think... I'll have to check how it is when all torrents are active.  but it's better than Azureus, at 140 MB!!