Author Topic: Request  (Read 5934 times)

Since as Goober says you guys are starting the voice acting part of the campaign, I'd like to just make a humble request to fix one of my ultimate gripes with voice acted campaigns: volume. The majority of voice acted campaigns I've played, while it was nice to try and voice act it, its useless if I have to put my head next to the speaker during the briefings to hear what the guy is saying. If there's some unavoidable reason for this I apologize, but otherwise it just doesn't make sense to have voice acting so quiet that it may as well not be there.

So for the love of God, please ensure that the voice acting is actually on a regular volume *goes to cry over all the "silent" voice-acted campaigns he has*

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yes, I agree, make them the same volume as the retail voice acting personas so that you don't have,

We are here to protect the cargo. Make sure nothing happens to it. (mission message)

I CAN'T HOLD THEM OFF MUCH LONGER! (built-in message)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, we have taken note of this. :)

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Don't fret, Snail. I have no doubts that the ST:R crew can pull that off. That's easily accomplished, anyhoo. Compression, y'know. Oh ya, a bit of distortion as well. Just to give it that CB-radio feel. ;)

A minor aside, tho. Are you going to go w/ the retail line of 8-bit, 11.025 Hz wav files? As long as the distortion/compression ratio is precise, there ain't a person on the planet that can tell whether it's 11.025 Hz or 22.050 Hz, much less 8-bit or 16-bit. (I've been doing audio engineering for major productions close to 25 years now and you'd be amazed what some people with "perfect hearing" have to say about audio. Expert: "Oh, you've used analog reverb on this, haven't you?" Me: "Yeah. Sure. Whatever." For laughs and verification, check out the story of Lee Sklar's "producer switch".)
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I guess we'll fiddle around with it and see what sounds best.

Offline Topgun

heck, for voice you can use 2k OGG, and it will still sound ok.

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
OGG don't work with retail.
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

And while you are at it, trim up the volume of the derelict campaign to ;).

No, really. It is not so hard to speak a bit louder, and if that doesn't work out,  there is always a increase volume button in your voice recording program (even windows has that feature in its own!). but when I look at some of the voice-acted campaigns I have played, those buttons seem to be overlooked.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Make sure you compress / normalize all voice files first before increasing the volume... I might give this a whack myself & upload it for you guys.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If a particular campaign's voice acting is too quiet, it's not all that hard to hit F2 and adjust the sound balance accordingly.  It would be wonderful if every voiced campaign out there had perfectly normalized, crystal-clear audio, but unfortunately that's not going to happen, so one must compensate for it.

Offline Topgun

Yes, I agree, make them the same volume as the retail voice acting personas so that you don't have,

We are here to protect the cargo. Make sure nothing happens to it. (mission message)

I CAN'T HOLD THEM OFF MUCH LONGER! (built-in message)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Question: where might I find the source .wavs for Derelict?  I'm going to modify them & see if ppl like it, but I'd prefer to use the source .wavs.  This is prolly not the right place for this, but there is no Derelict thread.  Who do I get ahold of?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd assume that Blaise Russell still has all the source files; if he doesn't, you'll have to get in touch with everyone who did voice work and hope they still do.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
i could work wonders with alpha 2's famous quote, and the song whip it. sound editing galore!

"when a problm comes along, you must shove a piece of ductape FZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

(fizzing mine)

it could be the next great hit, next to "bite me jason"!

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Snail

• SC 5
When I make Admiral, heads will roll.

That means you, Topgun.

If a particular campaign's voice acting is too quiet, it's not all that hard to hit F2 and adjust the sound balance accordingly.  It would be wonderful if every voiced campaign out there had perfectly normalized, crystal-clear audio, but unfortunately that's not going to happen, so one must compensate for it.

derelict problem: to make sure you hear the voices good, you will have to set the voice volume to max, the effects volume to 1/2 and the music to 1/3...

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
anc even then you cannot understand some lines.

Still need voice-actors?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.