Author Topic: Fly/command a Ravana and its' squadrons :)  (Read 15435 times)

Offline Mav

Fly/command a Ravana and its' squadrons :)
...as originally posted here.
I just figured that even interested people might miss it if I don't do a little more "advertising" for it. I hope the admins won't consider it as spam...  :shaking:

So... right, this mod does just what the topic-title says :D ; though there are some issues left (of course; I only worked about 2 and a half days on it so far... and some things might need SCP-help to really work... :( [see todo list inside the zip] ) .

The download and some notes are here, and some more notes are in the above-mentioned thread (but you still should read the readme...) .
(and while you're at it, you might also be interested in the mod that that topic was originally about, i.e. flying Shivan fighters in multiplayer?? ;) )

Make sure that you try the b or c mission first, as the a mission will crash a non-inferno build upon launching fighters, because it has a bit additional ship(s) and thus overshoots the limit.
With an inferno SCP build, mission a might work properly, but I haven't tested this yet ( what's the nearest inferno build to 3.6.9rc7dot9x ?? with no additional errors, if possible? ).

[edit: @SCP staff: A "create-wing-from-ships" SEXP or Lua function would also be nice, in addition to what's in the todo-list... just a humble request :) ]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: moved list of SCP-requests up here, actualized and colour-coded it :

(about colours - just the usual: red - high priority, orange - medium, yellow - low, purple - outdated and green - not really meant seriously; white is for comments and such)

@SCP-staff:

{
-a way to create (and later adress) WINGS of ships;   and/or to assemble already created ships to a wing
OR
  {
-a "get-created-ship"-SEXP / a create-ship-SEXP that passes the created ships' name to some variable
AND
-a "create-wing-from-ships" SEXP or Lua function
  }
}

-count beam shots/hits/kills for player statistic

-count turret shots for player statistic   (once I had above 4000% efficiency while testing this - that simply shouldn't happen :wtf: )

-make the weaponbank-cycling really work with four secondary banks (actually, I thought this had been done a longer while ago, but when I tried, I couldn't switch to the next bank before depleting the currently selected one :( )

-enable objectives HUD-panel for bigships; at least I haven't seen them in-mission   (shiptypes.tbl ?? But there's no entry for that yet...)  (will look into this again shortly; maybe I just forgot to use them correctly, sorry :nervous: )

-allow player capships to warpout like ai capships   (i.e. with far above oclk velocity; the way it is now it takes ages [oh well, minutes I have to admit, but that's still too much] for the Ravana to warpout)

-flag for turrets to make them use the ship's main weapon energy

-validate ALL AI-goals for the playership, especially "AI-dock" (now, what could this be used for, huh? ;) )

-"is-secondary-bank-weapontype"-SEXP and "is-secondary-bank-dualfire"-SEXP; lest I should get these replaced via scripting (should be possible, but it'll take me a while to learn - if it would be easy to implement these SEXPs, things might be speeded up quite a bit :) )

-multiple spawn-types for missiles (i.e. make one missile able to spawn 2 or more types of weapons)

-SEXPs for manipulating all properties of an object (especially speed, heading etc. [needed for proper replacing when captain's ship is launched/landed])]

-solve glitch where firing points are somehow positioned off-way in shipselection view   (has to do with the different centers in pof - tech center and the other one... somehow the wrong one is used for those indicators)

-option to turn off the "screen going red"-effect upon the player being hit   (it's really annoying to get this effect when you're just hit by some lasers that you should merely laugh at....)

-making player-fired slash-beams to actually slash as they do on turrets would be nice for effect-reasons   (they would be less combat-effective, yes - but that's anyway the case when they're mounted on turrets)

-missile-shields

-"add-comm-option"-SEXP for adding comm-options at mission start purely as triggers for other SEXPs as far as I understood it, that's already somewhere on the roadmap more or less - right? :confused:

-"ship-real-invulnerable"-SEXP so ship also doesn't get damaged by shockwaves, EMP and such; just needed for a nice little toy that came to my mind ;)

-"sinus()"- and "cosinus()"-SEXPs, for another "little toy" :)

- additional SEXPs to control the firing of the primary beams;   OR an improved beam-code that already accounts for fire wait on player beams (no need if I should get the already existing SEXP to work, but would still be nice :) ) if the idea about "$shots:" doesn't solve it already...

-implement X3-like turret control ;)   (hey - one's allowed dream, right?)      [though I think I already heard it was already possible with Lua...  - well, then I'd have to learn Lua it seems :nervous: ]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 06:55:06 pm by Mav »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Fly/command a Ravana and its' squadrons :)
Hey do this for the HTL Lucy too. :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Sounds very cool. A few people have made half-hearted jabs at capital ship command, but this looks interesting. The only problem is that the ZIP is corrupted and I can't download.

Try Hades Combine- www.hades-combine.com . That's the community hosting service.

Offline Topgun

Sounds very cool. A few people have made half-hearted jabs at capital ship command, but this looks interesting. The only problem is that the ZIP is corrupted and I can't download.

Try Hades Combine- www.hades-combine.com . That's the community hosting service.

not really but almost.

Offline Hades

I also saw you other stuff. :yes:
Try to put a third arm on HTL Lucy too. ;7 :nod:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mav

So, first to say, I've continued developement a little, and most importantly fixed the bug/exploit that you could launch fighters near-infinitely (of course only as long as the game didn't reach it's max number of ships and crashed) while your "launch bays" (i.e. secondaries) were reloading...

So, I'll try to get v1.1 uploaded today :) .
[edit: Uploaded :D . Visit the GW-topic through the link above, AND FROM THERE THE UPLOAD2-PAGE WHERE THE ACTUAL DOWNLOAD IS LOCATED :) .]

Next planned feature would be squad launching - which I'd need to learn scripting for (and thus also propably wait for the severest bugs [e.g. pilot corruption] in the HEAD branch to be solved).
For other planned changes, look into the included todo.txt :-) .

Oh, and - any info about the inferno-build I was asking for? Once I get to implement the Colossus (not that this is very high on my priority list, but it'll still be done at some future point of time) as player-controllable, I'll desperately NEED an inferno-build... (what was it - 144 fighters? ;7 )

@ any SCP staff-member that might drop by here...:
I could really need EITHER a SEXP to lock/unlock primary firing OR an improvement of player beams so they respect the fire wait-time (that's another severe exploit the mission currently has) - would some of you please make one of these (whereby the second option would be preferred...) ?

Sorry, I should've mentioned that... :o The link over at GW leads to a html site of the filehost (upload2.net) that you'll have to visit for downloading.
I guess you just did a right-click and then "save as" ? In that case you might try opening your "zip" with an internet browser...  ;)  (just joking about that with the browser - just visit that html page via the DL link, wait for the 1 minute countdown, and then download the file :) )

Hey do this for the HTL Lucy too. :P
Inclusion of more ships is planned :D .
Currently, it's just a test to work out all problems that might occur. I already included some more beams (only in the tbm, not in the mission yet) and more ships will most propably follow :-) .

I also saw you other stuff. :yes:
Try to put a third arm on HTL Lucy too. ;7 :nod:
Thanks... :) But really, I don't think I'm all too qualified for any HTL stuff yet :( (but we'll see - if I should feel like doing it at some point of time, I might just try ;) ).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:55:12 pm by Mav »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Aha... makes me feel like a noob. Godamn complicated download sites. Just some advice, it would be nice if this came VP-packed or organized into data folders. More convenient for everyone else.

If you want the SCP features to be implemented, you'll need to either PM a source code team member and/or make a post in the SCP forum. Noone looks at the feature request wiki page, apparently. Coder requests are frequently ignored unless you really get the point across, so do more than just post in this thread, IMHO.

This is a very interesting project. As soon as I get home, I'll take a look at the mission and see if I can do anything on the to-do list; if you want any work done, let me know.

Haven't tried the mission yet, but its downloading fine this time.  :yes:

Offline Mav

Nice to see your problem resolved :) .
Possibly you should try the old missions too (the names of which end with an a), as in the actual one there's a not-yet-working turret control system half implemented that'll result in a permanent beam-lock for your main beam turrets (but not your primary beams, so the mission is still far too easy...)

And I will post in the SCP-related threads at some point, but currently they seem to be pretty busy squashing bugs and such, which is generally good, and also should help me a bit - I then could switch to using newer releases :) .

Right now, I'll do a bit more myself - and except for the SCP-part, that todo-list is also mostly a note towards myself, as well as to show people what I've planned yet  [so in essence it's a progress-o-meter ;) ]  (actually, there's another nice but not-so-FS-related effect that I might implement next that isn't mentioned there... but let's see ;) [hint: it has to do something with the model that I just posted pics of over at GW ;o) ] ) .

It's really nice that you're volunteering for help :) , and if I will need some, I'll remember your offer; but at the moment I'd rather go on alone for a while... But thanks still :) .
Oh... I just remembered - at the moment this is just a tech-demo mission mostly, so if you want to help, you might try thinking about how it could be used for an interesting and balanced mission/campaign - I might make up something like that myself later on, but I'm neither at storytelling nor at balancing very good, so for the moment I'll focus on the technical aspects.

So... for the moment, I'll try to see what I can do with my current SCP-version, and once I have the impression to be too near to a dead end, I'll move on to post in the SCP-related topics about it (and if this mod should meet a lot of interest in the meantime, that might increase the chances of my requests being actually considered by the SCP-staff ;) ) to ask for new features.
Currently I just placed that note there in case an SCP-member might take interest in this mod...
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

One of the reasons I'm interested in this is that I'm doing almost the exact same thing with a Fenris. It's a story-based campaign. I'm a decent writer and FREDer, so if you need help in that department, we should complement each other pretty well. Just don't worry about mission design: overload people with new models and new features, and they'll love it no matter how crappy your storyline is.

*cough*INFERN-*cough*

Offline Hades

:lol: :lol: Cough Inf sucks Cough.  :nervous:
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mav

Can't really judge any mod-campaign yet, as I rather rarely play them (yes, I know I should, but well... :o )

Only played a small bit of inferno so far, as that mission to capture the Sol jumpgate usually insisted on blowing up the Vasudan longrange-beam ship, and I insisted on not lowering the difficulty too much... after about 20 or 30 tries, I only managed to get everything done when THE LAST HOSTILE SHOT killed the Vasudan ship again... since then, I sort of could think of better things to spend my time with then repeating the same mission.

Oh, about repeating missions... Anyone got to actually succeed in capturing the HoL cruiser in that FS1 mission? After about 30 tries (on one of the upper three difficulty levels, don't remember which one though - though the default 3/5 is the most likely), I managed to get most things done - the HoL cruiser was still alive, and the Taranis kept a distance from it (don't ask me why, though...) . And most battles were over... a while later I saw a few wings of Nephilims heading back for the Taranis (for rearm&refuel one might guess), but also didn't care too much about the HoL...
Only problem was that, as it seems, the capturing-transport had jumped in at some time during the fighting and got blown up without me noticing NEITHER its arrival NOR its "departure"... :-P . So later I somehow ended the mission - don't remember how, though.
I was still running something like version 1.0 at that time, and in total that last try needed about 2 hours, I think... also didn't really feel like doing this again back then.

One of the reasons I'm interested in this is that I'm doing almost the exact same thing with a Fenris. It's a story-based campaign. I'm a decent writer and FREDer, so if you need help in that department, we should complement each other pretty well. Just don't worry about mission design: overload people with new models and new features, and they'll love it no matter how crappy your storyline is.

*cough*INFERN-*cough*
Yes thanks, that sounds good :) . With story I certainly might need help. What have you done so far? Maybe there's something I didn't think of yet...
Another note - I'd think there might be some nice multiplayer modes based off this - let's say just like the usual "defend your corvette and destroy the hostile one", just that the team leaders actually control the corvettes ;) .
So... I still do have enough to do on it, I'll certainly report again when a v1.2 is ready. Just be warned that I'm not online too often, a week is more like the minimum you should usually calculate for an answer of mine :-/
(I DO try to work on this, but so far it hasn't helped very much... :sigh: ) .

Other than that... the overloading with new models thingy is rather impropable - it sort of takes me a long time to get those finished, usually (look at the thread in my sig for further reference).
While a mission editor is something I can just patch stuff together in to see how I can improve the game (which is mostly the reason why I started a rather ambitious Warcraft 3 mod... just by the time it's finished, there's likely to be Warcraft 12 or so... not to mention Machina Terra 3 :lol: :lol: ;) [just adding this for reference as I myself have joked enough about MT's progress so far - not that I intend anything bad with it :) , I DO know that I'm usually even slower :sigh: ]) ... modeling on the opposite usually needs a lot more planning which I somehow fail to do :(  most of the time.
Oh, and noticed that BoE-link in my sig? First time I started up Fred2, I tried placing something like 10 Colossi and Sathani in one mission... needless to say, Fred crashed ;o) . I hope I'm a little bit beyond that by now, but if you tested the Ravana-mission (especially mission *aaa - DON'T launch fighters there, the shiplimt already hit the roof ;) ), you should see I can't get rid of that infection completely ;o) .
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 07:16:48 pm by Mav »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Oh, about repeating missions... Anyone got to actually succeed in capturing the HoL cruiser in that FS1 mission? After about 30 tries (on one of the upper three difficulty levels, don't remember which one though - though the default 3/5 is the most likely), I managed to get most things done - the HoL cruiser was still alive, and the Taranis kept a distance from it (don't ask me why, though...) . And most battles were over... a while later I saw a few wings of Nephilims heading back for the Taranis (for rearm&refuel one might guess), but also didn't care too much about the HoL...
Only problem was that, as it seems, the capturing-transport had jumped in at some time during the fighting and got blown up without me noticing NEITHER its arrival NOR its "departure"... :-P . So later I somehow ended the mission - don't remember how, though.
I was still running something like version 1.0 at that time, and in total that last try needed about 2 hours, I think... also didn't really feel like doing this again back then.

:wtf:
You don't capture it....it get's blown by the Taranis...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mav

That's what I meant - it DIDN'T get blown that one time :D ... though I'd be pretty hard pressed to reproduce that, agreed... (and I posted my version at that time for a reason - in later versions the mission WAS impossible to win, there was some entry in the changelog about that)
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Mav

Hi :) .
Just so you know I'm still working at this... (I seem to have introduced a plenty of bugs - at least 2 or 3 CTDs :( - so no new download for now...) :

Captain's fighter mostly implemented by now, though I'd have to to think of something new if you want to be able to select it's type (for now I'm going with Mara terrans).

I seem to start getting a grip on player-control for the turrets, but it's still messy. Should I get it to work properly, I might even include some sort of control over your "point defense"-turrets.

I also got a little start in scripting. Will need to learn a lot more it seems, as currently I can only produce CTD's :( ... (or is that because of me still using 3.6.9 rc7dot9x ??)

A try to implement 2 new weapon types (and I just recently got an idea for a third one), though they both don't quite work yet.
One is 2-phased, and both phases already worked separately, but when I put them together I must have garbled up something...
The other one is rather special and propably won't work without SCP additions anyway - mostly I'd need a weapon to be able to spawn 2 different types of weapons; and if I now say I'd also like to have shieldmeshs for missiles, some of you might get what I'm after, right? ;)
The third one I'm not saying anything about yet, except that it should be even easier to implement then the captain's fighter... silly me, I wondered for years how to do it, and now have to find out that it should already have worked in retail... :o (well, most likely, at least)

I finally found the bug that troubled me in my objecttypes.tbl, so calling fighters back for landing&rearming should be doable now... :D
(they weren't attacking anything anymore every time I used it... seems that wherever I got my sample from, the "actively pursues" was missing - found that out when I compared it to another example from a different place. don't remember where I got the faulty one from, though)

Also I might have changed some other things I don't currently remember...

Oh, and as far as people willing to offer help goes... I noticed that a few nice 2D-effects (especially for weapons) would always be welcome :) .
And of course... could someone show me a few more scripting examples? Mostly I'd need functions with which to check for several aspects of the status of the players' secondary banks, called by the script-eval SEXP... I put some together, but as I said above, I only get a CTD... (well, I'll try a bit more, anyway; maybe even try a newer SCP-build soon)
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Lock/Unlock Primaries SEXP already exists.

And yes, I'm an SCP Coder, but I'm too lazy to DL your zip. Post the todo online please?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Mav

Lock/Unlock Primaries SEXP already exists.

And yes, I'm an SCP Coder, but I'm too lazy to DL your zip. Post the todo online please?

No problem. And happy to see you here :) .
About the primary unlock... yep, I know, but I somehow still have troubles implementing it in a functional fashion... actually it should work, I already got a controlsystem for turrets half-working and it should work the same for primaries (or so I think), but it somehow had no effect so far...  :(  Most propable it's just my fault - a few years back, a teacher in a VisualBasic class told me I'd be a "spaghetti-programmer", and I'd say that's not too far from the truth...  :nervous: :shaking:

So, here goes the todo :) (or rather, the part that's important for you coders... no need to list everything here, is there?) :

[edit: moved to first post of topic for ease of viewing and keeping actual]

Oh, and while I'm at it, I'll also better post my faulty scripting.tbl... :

Code: [Select]
#Global Hooks

$GameInit:

[

function getLaunchType1()
mn.SEXPVariables['LauchType1'] = weaponbank.weaponclass(weaponbanktype[1](ship.SecondaryBanks(ba.getCurrentPlayer())))
end

function getLaunchType2()
mn.SEXPVariables['LauchType2'] = weaponbank.weaponclass(weaponbanktype[2](ship.SecondaryBanks(ba.getCurrentPlayer())))
end

function getLaunchType3()
mn.SEXPVariables['LauchType3'] = weaponbank.weaponclass(weaponbanktype[3](ship.SecondaryBanks(ba.getCurrentPlayer())))
end

function getDual()
mn.SEXPVariables['SquadStateBool'] = weaponbanktype.DualFire(ship.SecondaryBanks(ba.getCurrentPlayer()))
end

function getTarget()
mn.SEXPVariables['SupLasTarget'] = ship.target(mn.getShipByName(Alpha 1))
end

]

#End

; and then I try to call these functions with SEXPs, which results in CTD...  :blah:

So, for current progress report... I didn't  get to do very much in the meantime, but I seem to sort of have found out the reason for my CTDs - one of course was because of my faulty scripting, but that was immediately obvious; the other 2 however were a bit nastier...

I still don't really know what went wrong, but the error seems to have happened when I exported the .pof to .cob with PCS 1.3.6, cloned some turrets with tS, moved them to new positions and then reexported with PCS 1.3.6 as .pof. I also made a global data import from the old .pof and then added the newly needed turret data.
So, what happens is that those turrets fire quite fine when left on their own, but everytime a "beam-fire" SEXP triggers, I get a CTD :wtf: . And I also get a CTD when playing with that .pof for a longer amount of time (around the third or fourth wave of enemy caps).
None of these two errors happens when I switch back to the old .pof, so the new one HAS to be the reason - I just plain simply don't understand what went wrong... :(
So, it would be nice if someone could point me at what might have gone wrong... (though I propably should just try to do the export with one of the recent PCS 2.0-builds, maybe that solves it)

Oh, and if you wondered why I should want to add turrets - it's because of the "dual-phased effect" mentioned in my above posts... the Starwars-TC and TBP might already have something like that (I don't know, but at some stage they propably will have to... ;) ), but I found a way that *should* work fine and easy, and just wanted to include it for making this here a bit more... colourful ;7 .
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 11:58:10 pm by Mav »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

That's what I meant - it DIDN'T get blown that one time :D ... though I'd be pretty hard pressed to reproduce that, agreed... (and I posted my version at that time for a reason - in later versions the mission WAS impossible to win, there was some entry in the changelog about that)

Many moons ago..... I got into the same spot, all my wingmen were dead, and both ships were disabeled and disarmed, they just flew in circles around each other.  no capture ship comes, and if you disable the HOL ship.... I cant remember what happens, I think you get traitor status for firing on the HOL ship....

its been a while since I played, there is this whole no computer thing and this whole "Iraq" thing.  I just need to fix one :snipe:

I remember the first thing I did in fred was set Alpha one as a luci, after that an arcadia :nod:
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You can blow up the Ramses if it takes too long.

Offline Mav

Many moons ago..... I got into the same spot, all my wingmen were dead, and both ships were disabeled and disarmed, they just flew in circles around each other.  no capture ship comes, and if you disable the HOL ship.... I cant remember what happens, I think you get traitor status for firing on the HOL ship....

Well, for me it was a bit more strange... the Taranis did still have guns, but it just sat around doing nothing...
Oh, and I didn't know about the "K"-key at that point... :shaking: I had to specialize 2 of my wingman for taking care of the Taranis for me, and after they were gone, well... Maybe that's also why it took me that many tries to get this far.
Disabling the HoL won't help much, or does it? Disabling the Taranis might, but if I remember correctly, it automatically jumps out if you damage it's engines too much.

I'd guess that's because the Taranis' objectives were somehow deleted - maybe because the capture transport was blown up or something; will really have to view this mission in FRED to figure out what happened... :confused:

Btw. I think the version that made this mission definately un-winnable was something like 1.02 or 1.2 ... don't exactly remember though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 11:13:48 am by Mav »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Is there a place where I can download this ? Cause on the other links it doesn't work ...