Author Topic: New ship, the GTCn Pilum  (Read 8886 times)

New ship, the GTCn Pilum
Designed by my close friend ShadowGorrath. Designation Cn stands for Cannon. It's over 5 kilometres in length, and can kill a Sathanas in a single shot, powered by twin meson reactors. The name 'Pilum' comes from the ancient roman throwing spear.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Re: New ship, the GTCn Pilum
so it's just one big gun? nice. Does it fire a beam or a projectile?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

So, basically, it's a super-version of the Archangel dreadnought, but without the anti-fighter stuff? :p
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
It fires a beam . And I never heard of any Archangel dreadnought . :p

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
So it's like the Gorgon in derelict, only it's a new ship and not just a bunch of stock ones stuck together, and it's more powerful. Me likey.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
For 5KM, it's a little lacking on the detail. More elaboration on the guns and engines would be nice. IMO it'd be better suited to be smaller than 5KM, but that's just me.
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

For 5KM, it's a little lacking on the detail. More elaboration on the guns and engines would be nice. IMO it'd be better suited to be smaller than 5KM, but that's just me.

Designed to take out juggernauts. Its a long range heavy beam cannon , powered by 2 meson reactors. It can take out a Sathanas with a single shot from over 50 kilometres out. It can move itself with two large engines, but it moves very slowly, and is usually warped in at its firing position. Takes a minute or two to charge up its guns.

Hey, i feed Shadow this info. ;) He's teaching me how to use wings3d at the moment lol

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Soooo, what do you use to defend this big target that has no self-defense capability?
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Wings3D Ownz.Want to see a frigate im making with it?It is this http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=99514305rx2.jpg Sill WIP.Does any one have a Greek name database or something i can find Greek names?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Soooo, what do you use to defend this big target that has no self-defense capability?

you use alpha wing , and maybe a friendly cruiser or two  ;)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Looks like the Terran version of the Gigas from INFR1.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
This ship kinda lacks detail , but what do you expect - it was a quick work . I totally made this out of one cube ( manipulated it so ) in about 10 or 15 minutes .

I made a destroyer also . It's shorter than the GTCn Pilum , but it has probably more firepower than the Colossus :p Also , it's poly numbers are over 17000 ( because of the detailed weapons ) . I'll upload a pic once I'm back home from a trip ( in one week ) , unless Vasudan Commander decides to upload it himself :P

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!

you use alpha wing , and maybe a friendly cruiser or two  ;)

Just alpha wing will be enough. Remember, its alpha 1 we're talking about here.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Can we PLEASE shut up about Alpha 1? After 1 year I've seen so many "oh may gawd Alpha 1 pawns he can take out the entire Shivan fleet aw may gawd" jokes that it gets old. Freakin badgers.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nice...but 5km soundsa bit too much...you really don't need it that big...look at the size of normal beam cannons.

3k is more than enough to pulverize the sath (if you calculate hte volume increase of a cannon = damage increase)

If we assume the avarge beam cannon is 100m long (and I think it's smaller) than a 3000m long one would have 30x30x30 times the volume..that's basicly 27000 times the damage... it would allready be insanely powerfull
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Ugh maths.

The Pilum looks like an experimental heavy duty mass driver. You know, those type of weapons that use opposing magnetic fields to accelerate a mass to beyond supersonic speeds? Thats what the Pilum reminds me off. Especially that long section; reminds me of a capacitator barrel for a mass driver.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
You  mean a railgun, or is this different?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Railgun uses magnetic fields to convert electric energy into kinetic energy IIRC.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Yea not a railgun. A mass driver.

Its an idea i'm thinking about if i ever do a mod ...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Railgun accelerates the "bullet" between 2 long rails... A coilgun accelerates it tough several rings (coils) - but in essence they use the same principle of aceclerating a object trough magnetic fields.

Thus, you're thinking of something like a gigantic Maxim gun (alltough according to the description, the Maxium should use ammo!)

EDIT - anything that shoots an object with mass (projectile of some sorts) is in essence a mass driver - bow and arrow, ballista, musket, pistol, chaingun, railgun...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!