Author Topic: Some Non-FS models  (Read 40021 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Why non-FS? That would look brilliant in-game.
Agreed.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Like I said, if someone wants to convert it for FreeSpace, just ask and I'll post the model in some simple format.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
 :bump:

I'm making a gunship, for no particular reason. So far it hasn't got any guns, though.

"Bloo Gunship" by Aardwolf

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Aardwolf I love your work and I'm definitely interested in using some of it but have you even had one of your models successfully imported?!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Screw the necro warning, my thread needs me!

Interestingly enough, by bumping this I have moved the thread from the second-to-last page in the board to the first.

I'm working on some sort of alien warship.

A while ago, I had taken the Malia (from INFR1, but I used the Blue Planet version), and made some changes to it. I did a few revisions on the idea, trying to make it sufficiently different from the Malia, and about a week ago I started this version:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:11:29 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Droid803

You know, I think ASW might have a use for that if you put some more detail into it :D

EDIT: I phrased that horribly didn't I. I didn't mean to sound like a pompous git.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Heehee.

I don't really know what I want to put in the center; the current little diamond thing was just so that there'd be something, but it doesn't look very good, and I didn't expect it to.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Heehee.

I don't really know what I want to put in the center; the current little diamond thing was just so that there'd be something, but it doesn't look very good, and I didn't expect it to.

how about some sort of over sized doomsday weapon?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

how about some sort of over sized doomsday weapon?

Probably not. I might just have to experiment with things.

Update:

Here's an idea I'm trying out. An Enterprise/AWACS -ish dish in the upper rear of the ship:

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 05:01:20 pm by Aardwolf »

I really like this ship. Which end is the front? Those four pointy parts feel like the most natural front to me. And I don't think you need to put anything in the middle, since the shape is strong enough without it.

Offline Droid803

I think it feels more natural with the pointy parts better as the back.
Then again, it's because I'm too used to seeing the Akrotiri with its graceful curving pointy things at the end...and no place for engines.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Pointy = back

Also note that the left and right pointy things meet in the center, like with the Malia. So the cross section at the center is just a point there. The whole model's center yz cross-section, at least in the rotating-thing version, is just an ellipsoid and two points.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I've started on a new model, experimenting with a new technique for modeling it. I started with a rounded box, and then replaced that with a number of smaller rounded boxes. Then I went in and added better approximations of the final shape. Basically, it was to be a way to model without doing any 2d concept art in advance.

Obviously, I haven't finished the 'better approximations' step. Once I finish with this step, I'll probably go back and tweak/redo some parts.

I'm thinking about putting a fighterbay in that exposed region on the underside.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
from that point of view looks like a deimos of some kind.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yeah, I noticed the rear was starting to look a bit like a Deimos, and I liked that, so I extruded out the back a little to make it more like a Deimos.

Edit: Some work on the front, as well as a touch-up to the main engine part (top rear).

The little elbow things were hidden for this screenshot, as they are still ugly.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:58:12 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Looks like a Deimos and Bellerophon had a baby. 

I like. 
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Droid803

Four beam cannons at the front? :P
(´・ω・`)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Four beam cannons at the front? :P

That was the idea, yeah. I've been working on a redo of the front, though...

The red areas are placeholders. It was hollow there so I had to fill it or it wouldn't make sense, visually.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 07:47:57 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
A lot more done on this one (beyond even what I've got in the topic I started on scifi-meshes.com! )...

And I programmed something to render and screenshot, turntable-like. Here's the result: