Author Topic: Some Non-FS models  (Read 39918 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Very nice. Also, very Deimos-y. We can haz replacement Deimos?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Looks great.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
:yes: Looking good!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
As built by forerunners :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
deimosy indeed. whats the polycount?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
deimosy indeed. whats the polycount?

As of right now...

Un-triangulated :
Triangulated :

But she's still very WIP, so that is almost definitely going to go up. And that's without the turrets and the awesome greebleature I hope to give her.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
This is gonna be cool, great start.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
This is looking quite good, Aard.

She does look pretty squat, though. How long is this ship? Actually, what's the size in general?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The dimensions, as of the latest version... which IIRC is the same as the one I made the animation from:

Width :
100.2 meters
Height :
89.8 meters
Length :
185.7 meters

For comparison, the Aeolus is 273.0 meters long, the Deimos is 705.6, and the Hecate is 2156.4, whereas most fighters are less than 20 meters in length.

Although I am thinking of scaling it up a little bit, just to make the hangar have a wider clearance.

3.6.10 mediavps version

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
 :wtf:

It's a little small for a hangar at this point, Aard. This definately needs a scale-up unless you intend it to remain as a small cruiser.

Actuallly, scaling this up might make for a good alterantive model to SteveO's futuristic Terran cruiser...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Then I shall have to illustrate:

Here's a top view just to give a general sense of scale. All ships are on the grid plane. Note the grid units; each square is 100 meters on a side. Of these ships, the only one with a fighterbay is the Moloch. Let's move our fighters in for a closer look...

Not too spacious-looking, from the top...

I've also provided a side view... look at the heights of these fighters compared to the fighterbay.

Finally, just for fun, have a look at the Erinyes placed inside the fighterbay. The camera is actually positioned inside the ship, as this was the best position I could find to show how much space there is. Admittedly, the Erinyes is of course one of the narrowest fighters, so this is a bit beyond what would be necessary to make my point, but whatever...

To get some empirical data, that hangar is wide enough to fit the length of a Poseidon (about 50 meters), and tall enough to fit the width of an Ursa (about 35 meters). The only plausible reason for there not being fighterbays on cruisers in FreeSpace is the gameplay implications (and perhaps some overestimation of how big a hangar must be, as you have done, and as I did in the past)...

The opening to my cruiser/carrier's fighterbay is about 12 meters by 22 meters... a bit under half that size, but still big enough for an Erinyes.

Nonetheless, I reckon it is indeed too small even for my purposes, and I'll very likely scale the ship up sometime soon -- scaling the entire mesh should be a fairly painless process.

However I should also mention that this ship is not primarily intended for the FreeSpace universe (although I suppose seeing it in-game wouldn't hurt anybody)... I am seriously considering making the hangar be primarily for retrieval, and using launch tubes (like in BSG) to sortie the fighters. This would prevent the issue of "debris on the flight deck" preventing launches (something that plagued the Terran capital ships in FreeSpace 2), and would mean fighters can enter the fray quickly, rather than having to first navigate through a clogged hangar. It'd also be much harder for enemies to disable each and every launch tube than it would be to take a single exposed hangar... although I did make sure that the hangar entrance was placed in a fairly sheltered location on the underside, just to be safe.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:17:16 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
You should make it at least Deimos-sized IMO. (Maybe 500-600m?)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Actuallly, scaling this up might make for a good alterantive model to SteveO's futuristic Terran cruiser...
:confused:

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
UEF Sanctus? Not sure what cruiser you're referring to...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
:confused:

Ah, my mistake. I was thinking of Stratcomm's GTC Hyperion class. Here's a link, if necessary:

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTC_Hyperion

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Ah, that. Does have a bit of resemblance on the front.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Ah, my mistake. I was thinking of Stratcomm's GTC Hyperion class.

Oh... that was actually what I thought you meant at first, but then I saw Steve-O and was like... Steve-O didn't make the GTC Hyperion, what's he talking about? Anyway, that clears things up.

I can sort of see the resemblance there...

Edit rather than double-post:

Here's a visual comparison of the current size (185.7 meters long) versus the Deimos. The Deimos is just a screenshot taken in PCS2, scaled to matching size...

So yeah, it's too small.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:00:28 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline watsisname

Indeed, IMO the scale should be increased maybe about 3x.  Sweet design and concept though.  Do you have ideas as for its armaments yet?

In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I breathed while I burst into laughter at the same time and started coughing like mad after I saw that comparison image. :lol:

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Indeed, IMO the scale should be increased maybe about 3x.  Sweet design and concept though. Do you have ideas as for its armaments yet?

Originally I was planning on giving it 4 forward-facing heavy weapons of some sort, with something equivalent to beam cannons. However, that was back when the front section had a diamond-shape, and now it's triangular... so I might give it 3 of something.

Also, I was thinking of using this ship in a Newtonian-Relativistic game (I wouldn't mind making the game that proves once and for all that a realistic space sim doesn't have to be un-fun :D), and as such, I figured that one aspect where realism and gameplay don't get along is infinite-range instant-hit weapons... beams. There's no real reason for a beam to have a limited range, except that any directed energy weapon would dissipate as it travels... this reduces the effective range, but does not make the weapon suddenly 'vanish' at an arbitrary distance. Nonetheless, the effective range for anything that can legitimately be called a 'beam' and not a 'fwoosh' is still too great for my comfort. I like the idea of a weapon with an "effective range" however, and better yet, something where the player(s) in fighters could reduce this effective range... perhaps warship torpedoes of some sort, which could be shot down by the fighters.

It will probably also have numerous turrets, although how many and of what sort I have not yet decided. I'll probably want to think about the weapons before I start placing anything, though.

I breathed while I burst into laughter at the same time and started coughing like mad after I saw that comparison image. :lol:

Haw. :p