Author Topic: Some Non-FS models  (Read 40025 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Almost looks like it could be TOS Cylon.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Keep in mind, Aard, that WWII bombers are not all too large...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
When I said "WWII bomber" I was specifically thinking of the "Flying Fortress". According to wikipedia, the B-17 Flying Fortress had a wingspan of 31.62m, and a length of 22.66m ... and had a crew of 10:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Pilot, co-pilot, navigator, bombardier/nose gunner, flight engineer-top turret gunner, radio operator, waist gunners (2), ball turret gunner, tail gunner

My "Skirmisher" has a wingspan of 34.8m, and a length of 19.3m ... also it probably fills the AABB volume better than the B-17. Of course, it's not done, and I might make some tweaks that might change the dimensions slightly, but whatever.

Comparable.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
It's not the ship that's more realistic. It's the setting I plan to use it in... although some aspects of the ship design have been set up accordingly. For example, my decision to make this, the smallest manned combat craft, be more akin to a WWII bomber (in size and crew) than a fighter.

I like the idea, I'd really like to see more WWII-style bombers. Any chance to see this one ingame?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It's not the ship that's more realistic. It's the setting I plan to use it in... although some aspects of the ship design have been set up accordingly. For example, my decision to make this, the smallest manned combat craft, be more akin to a WWII bomber (in size and crew) than a fighter.

I like the idea, I'd really like to see more WWII-style bombers. Any chance to see this one ingame?

Possible, but don't get your hopes up. As you may have noticed, my projects have a habit of not getting finished  :blah:

Anyway, I've done some fine-tuning of the wing shape, and I put in some preliminary markers for where I reckon the RCS thrusters will go. I'll upload some newer screenshots once I've got a bit more done on her.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:57:53 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
:bump:
Because nobody noticed my "stealth update"

Front ortho:

Left ortho:

Perspective view, above/rear/left:

I've gotta fill in that gaping hole in the front. Somehow.

@TrivialPsychic: Yeah, it was inspired by the BtRL/Diaspora colonial trainer drone, which was in turn inspired by the TOS Cylon raider
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:03:25 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The thrusters (or whatever those cylindrical things are) could use a bit of detailing.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Cylindrical things? Those would probably be the main guns; that's the front :p

And yeah, I know they could use some detailing. What's there is basically just placeholder geometry. The engines are the big flat dark surfaces in the rear... not to be confused with the slightly smaller dark surfaces in the front, which are where the missiles will fire from.

A little description of the armament in general:

• There are four main guns, which are forward mounted. They probably shoot some sort of particle cannon. The advantage of these is that they're powerful and can't be shot down by turrets, and their power supply (or whatever they use) can be replenished. The disadvantage is that since they're forward-mounted, you have to point your ship at the target ... a little bit in front, actually.
  • There are also two banks of missiles (one on each side), which are blastier than the main guns and don't need you to point them at the target in order to track it. As a disadvantage, however, they can be shot down by turrets, and you can only launch as many missiles as you've got on-board.
  • There's a torpedo/bomb bay on the underside. Torpedoes are even blastier than missiles, but they're slower and easier for turrets to detect. Not meant for use against small targets like Skirmishers

• Turrets: they shoot down missiles and torpedoes.
  • Countermeasures: flares? Something to get an enemy missile to leave you alone.

At some point I'm also going to have to figure out where countermeasure launchers will go... I'm not sure if that's something that can be controlled in the FS2 engine (or whether a ship can have multiple countermeasure launch points / AI-controlled countermeasure release?) but if/when I put this into my own game, that's one thing I want.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Is the "front" of the ship the same end that the turrets are pointing towards?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yes......

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Sorry, I had it in my mind that that those black barrels were engines.  I guess those turrets were a dead giveaway.