Author Topic: Fighter02  (Read 27230 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Polies should be spent mainly on edges, 3D details (like guns) and things that can't be done with a normal map.
Flat surfaces can use normal maps, so they can stay flat with the exception of the extrusions visible from behind.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Better normal maps are better! This is the same geometry I just showed you, btw.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Kolgena

Much sexier. Still ugly as ass though, due to weird fighter design :P

The join between the diagonal fins and the rear cockpit bubble looks really weird. Especially at the very front of the edge where they meet. Retail's like that too, so I don't know what to say.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I still feel the barrels could use some detailing, and those vents be modelled in, they look kinda...comical right now.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
And you doubted me.

This is in the Ship Lab and in-game, using substantially the same geometry. Though I hope you guys like the cockpit and sensor dome.  ;7

[attachment deleted by ninja]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Wow!
Very very cool. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Great stuff.

**** the haters. ;)
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Hey VA, I'm having a little trouble getting the cockpit/glass/hull draw order correct. What's the right way to do things?

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Damn, good job.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
That poor doomed vasudan makes all the difference :D
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
 :eek:

I wants it!
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Wow looks great Galemp!

The top bubble is the cockpit? :eek2:
I would have never guessed.
Again looks great.

VA's right though,  seeing that vasudan makes all the difference! :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:36:22 am by Darklord42 »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Makes sense, looking at the pilot I don't think he would fit in the other section.

Offline ION3

I'm having a little trouble getting the cockpit/glass/hull draw order correct.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Blender_to_POF_Conversions

Guess you read the part about cockpit glass already. Transparent objects have to be drawn after solid objects. And they have to be sorted so the nearest ones are drawn last. Most engines figure that out on their own, fso doesn't. By making the glass a subobject you tell the engine to draw it after the fighter.

But you have two glass parts and i guess you have to settle with one drawing order. So, one of them will always be invisible or cause rendering errors when seen through the other one.

Can any of the more knowledgeable people confirm this?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
As far as I'm aware, yeah that's quite correct. There will always be 1 glass chunk drawn after the other, so from some view angles that won't work properly.

Looking at the second of the two pics though, it does look like the render order in relation to the hull is what's not quite right.  If you've already separated both glass sections and called them detail0-trans though, send me the .blend and I'll see if I can spot anything; cos by that stage it should be working fine. :\
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Also look at the textures in PCS2. I found out recently that the glass (or whatever texture your using on your detail0-trans) texture also must be ordered last here as well.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
WOW! nice fish pilot there :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
As far as I'm aware, yeah that's quite correct. There will always be 1 glass chunk drawn after the other, so from some view angles that won't work properly.

Looking at the second of the two pics though, it does look like the render order in relation to the hull is what's not quite right.  If you've already separated both glass sections and called them detail0-trans though, send me the .blend and I'll see if I can spot anything; cos by that stage it should be working fine. :\

Huh? It looks fine in both pictures...

Edit: never mind, I now notice I can see out the back of the cockpit where there should be opaque stuff... Maybe that's just an aspect of the model though?