Author Topic: World in Conflict  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I'm sure we're all well versed in this upcoming RTS, but for those uninformed...

The premise of World in Conflict revolves around the Soviets giving it one last hurrah before the Warsaw Pact collapses:

Quote from: World in Conflict Plot
With the Warsaw Pact on the brink of collapse, the Soviet Union decides on a bold strategy of blackmail; unless the United Nations agrees to support the faltering Communist economy, the Red Army will invade Western Europe. The UN ignores the ultimatum and the Soviets make good on their threat, assaulting NATO positions. However, in order to keep America from intervening with the REFORGER convoys, which in the event of war were to reinforce Europe, the Soviets open a second front by invading America, by hiding inside disguised freighters. The assault is preceded by an air-and-sea borne attack on the city of Seattle...

Some trailers:

GC 2007 Trailer (perfect soundtrack).

Invasion Trailer.

And finally, possibly the greatest trailer ever created.

Single- & Multiplayer Demo is available here: http://demo.worldinconflict.com/us/

Think of it like a realistic take on Red Alert 2, or a modern-day Company of Heroes. Nice twist on conventional RTS gameplay, in that you receive points for combat - in lieu of collecting resources - and use the points to call in reinforcements that are literally flown in by helicopter to a point you designate. On top of that, you gain another set of points in combat (and objective rewards) to call in fire missions and air support from offscreen, ranging from localized mortars to a daisy-cutter airstrike to a tactical nuke.

Practically excretes awesome, check it out.

Edit: As an awesome little aside, the Collectors Edition comes with an authentic piece of the Berlin Wall. Big Daddy figurine eat your heart out.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:09:10 am by Mefustae »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Think of it like a realistic take on Red Alert 2

You speak nonsense. The game speaks greater nonsense. :p
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Ive been following this on the web for a while, the gameplay footage looks pretty brutal.  Makes me thankful we never went toe to toe with the Soviets, ala Red Storm Rising.  Plus it looks like they included all the NATO forces not just the US.  Ive got high hopes for this game
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
If anyone's looking for an online match of the demo, add 'Mefusta' to your friends list and i'll see what I can do. ;)

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
you mightaswell add "Ashrak" too ;)
I hate My signature!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Oooooohhhh.......

Downloading Demo right fecking now!

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
The Demo was awesome cant wait till the release, thinking of preordering then you get a bit of the berlin wall

Hope its not the whole wall that might not fit in my room...........

/Dice
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
The Demo was awesome cant wait till the release, thinking of preordering then you get a bit of the berlin wall

Hope its not the whole wall that might not fit in my room...........

/Dice

They're giving out pecies of the Berlin Wall in a game? :wtf: That isn't really right...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Why not? I'm saving up for a house.....

Boom-Tish....

Seriously though, it's as good a marketting ploy as any.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
i know theyr special edition has some history channel documentary as bonus but wall?
I hate My signature!

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=B647100A

To quote:

The World in Conflict Collector's Edition contains:

Authentic Piece of the Berlin Wall: An authentic piece of Cold War history, taken directly from remnants of the famed Berlin Wall that once divided Europe along the lines of Superpower control.

“Modern Marvels©: The Berlin Wall” by The History Channel®: Learn the definitive tale of one of the most hated symbols of oppression in history and hear stories of those who braved the deadly No Man's Land between East and West.

Behind the Scenes DVD – Explore the making of World in Conflict with extensive interviews with the development team, critically acclaimed cinematics, gameplay trailers and more.

/Dice
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
thats actuyally pretty cool, if it didnt cost so much and if it was pre orderable for me, i would do it
I hate My signature!

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Sure, it looks pretty. But it's just another RTS made for those hyperactive ratmasters. I don't mind real time, as long as the scale is manageable and small enough to be interesting, or that the scale is large enough and the units aren't complete dumbasses (like SupCom).

This seems to do all the same mistakes that I've seen over and over. Infantry stand in open ground when they are shot at. They should at least git tha **** out and seek cover, instead of relying on the grass to protect them. GRASS!
Special abilities that need to used by me. ME! The commander of the frigging platoon!

"This command to corporal Jack. You now have permission to run for cover"
"Thank god. We wouldn't have made it in time with our present speed."

"This is command to lieutenant Bill. Deploy your anti armor missiles against enemy tanks."
"About time command, they've been shooting us for ten minutes already!"

And stupid life bars on tanks. Were they needed in Faces of War? Hell no! Infact, this does nothing better than FoW. No, that's not right. I enjoy watching A-10 strafe tanks...
But other than that, the Russians win this one with FoW. Again.

If WiC would at least allow issuing orders during pause, I wouldn't be whining at all.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

Think of it like a realistic take on Red Alert 2, or a modern-day Company of Heroes. Nice twist on conventional RTS gameplay, in that you receive points for combat - in lieu of collecting resources - and use the points to call in reinforcements that are literally flown in by helicopter to a point you designate. On top of that, you gain another set of points in combat (and objective rewards) to call in fire missions and air support from offscreen, ranging from localized mortars to a daisy-cutter airstrike to a tactical nuke.

Practically excretes awesome, check it out.

The gameplay is neither special or new, it's simply the same thing Massive did on Ground Control 2, that said it's not a bad one. I have high hopes for this game since its Massive that its doing, I really liked GC 1 and 2 and they said this would a espiritual successor, so far everything looks great. My only hope is that after it, they finally do Ground Control 3.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Good god, I just watched the last trailer. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

:lol:

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
The gameplay is neither special or new...
But I didn't say it was special or new. Therefore, I win!

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
But I didn't say it was special or new. Therefore, I win!

Wrong! I said it wasnt new or special because I was pointing that Massive was simply using something they already did (lazy people :rolleyes:) not because you didnt say it. ;)

I WIN! :D

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
You guys are idiots.

Prophet wins! :ha:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
You guys are idiots.

Prophet wins! :ha:

:rolleyes:

*shoots Propeht, Prophet dies*

Like I said, I win. :blah:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I certainly felt the 'Ground Control'ness of the game while playing it. It's a nice game, but a little difficult sometimes to pick up on particular units. Also the habit of centering the map on your target in mid-mission briefings can be annoying if you are in the middle of a firefight at the time.

That said, it's only a Demo, and a good one, I'll be interested to see how the final version plays.