Author Topic: Revived: The FS2 Turret Project (a multi-community effort)  (Read 6224 times)

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Revived: The FS2 Turret Project (a multi-community effort)
Rejoice for out of the ashes of deletion I have started the project again from scratch. Not only that but recently Axem and Scooby_Doo are on board also and have nearly doubled the original content. (Thanks guys!)

While this was a major setback as I have to break down the original model yet again, the sheer number of new combinations is staggering! As is the project has achieved what my original goal was, but I will continue to seek more content while the bulk of it is still under construction.

Here is a preview pic of contenent by the authors, imagine switching bases or arms or barrels and you can already feel the possabilities!

Promotional Pic (a small fraction of total content)

Once I am finished re-sorting content, the majority of the models still need mapping (we have generic plates). The idea is that although you can customise the turret with each of the three sections having it's own texture, you can use one for the whole thing to save a texture slot. Insome cases that means even existing textures will be reworked to be a FS2 stock texture or one of the generic ones included inthe project.

For render purposes, high poly turrets have been included as well as any textures that originally came with them. This project is oriented toward gaming, but not limited to just that.

It is my hope that more modelers in the future will donate unreleased, or green light their existing works to this effort as well as people who can map meshes.

As of this moment we have these people to thank!
ALL meshes are identified with a 3 initial code:
--------------------------------------
Axel (HW2 Modding) - AXL
Lord Ravensburg (Sci-Fi Meshes) - LRB
Axem (FS2 Modding) - AXM
Trashman (FS2 mOdding) - TRA
Scooby_Doo (FS2 Modding) - SCO
Ancient Angel (SFC Modding) -AAG
WHY? (Klingon Academy Modding) - WHY

Any individuals who can assist in those two roles I specified PLEASE let me know here or via PM.
(Others need not message me, and NO, meshes will not be released [or in some cases re-released] publicly till the project is fininshed ).  :p

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Getter Robo G

Re: Revived: The FS2 Turret Project (a multi-community effort)
The work continues even more slowly as I have been taking time off from my projects due to my skill limitations. Before I go back on hiatus I wanted to show off what I consider the crown jewel of turrets in the project (IMHO). All the pieces are Axel's, and to me, best captures a military feel.

This is the deluxe version that weights in at just under 600 polys. There is also a singe barrel slotted version, and on both of these the barrels, arms, greebles, and accessories are optional so removing or changing them will reduce poly count.

This one has top armor plating, rear antennas and side mounted sensor. Some or all of these can be used on the other turrets in the project with moving or resizing.

While not suitable for release, I wanted to let people know it existed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:03:47 pm by Getter Robo G »
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

I really like that last one.... big and mean.

You can add this one to the mix
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Getter Robo G

Awesome, two questions one comment.

Do I have that one yet?

Are those protrusions behind the swivel points part of the turret arm and move, or the base? If they are part of the arm they might dig into a ships hull or the part that the turret is mounted on (consider dropping them off after the round arm cap).

Comment, a sensor on the front would be good for auto tracking versions.  ;)

I missed your link to textures earlier, can you show me what page that's on?.

The textures can be found in my "additional.vp" file, http://scoobydoo.freespacemods.net/Finished_Mods/Additional-12-02-07.rar.
You'll want to extract the textures that you need.

As for the turret, it was based on a Transformer minicon, I imagine it'll need to have a "neck" otherwise it'll hit like you say.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Do you guys have any textured, usable turrets right now? Like ones that I can just pin to a model, turret in PCS and whatever?

Do you guys have any textured, usable turrets right now? Like ones that I can just pin to a model, turret in PCS and whatever?

Here you go for my stuff: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,45239.0.html  They just need some touching up in truespace, the turret0X-destroyed is missing and a few have "arm" instead of "turret0x-arm".  But thats easily fixable.

Offline Getter Robo G

In Addition to Scooby, Trashman did post some for DL (have to search for link I'm afraid).

At this point I've had the most success with getting 3d contributors (we have ATM several meshers). Most however are NOT textured. Also in the process existing ones might need to be altered so no guarantee on the final results. We will need two people later on.

One: for orienting correctly and adding proper axis on key pieces.

Second: for texturing or re-texturing the final pieces as needed. The goal will be for a use of three textures or less so either the user can customize and use their own textures (like the base ship ones its going to be placed on in some combo that works) or a core of three to be use interchangeably or just one of them. This is to reduce texture usage as much as possible due to the lower texture limit FSO has now imposed on models. (back in the day I could convert a ship with like 41 textures and now these won't work anymore  :sigh:).

Aside from what the contributors release on their own, nothing from the project itself will be released by me until it is completed to my satisfaction (barring new additions which will be placed into future "packs").

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Here's a few...terran only...I can add some vasudan ones to the mix:
http://www.ferrium.org/trashman/Stuff/Turretz.rar
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
For those of us who (like me) have absolutely no modeling skill, could these turrets be placed in FRED, perhaps an extra drop-down menu in the weapons editor?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
no. Turrets are part of the ship model..they are not separate entities and cannot be attached in FRED.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

For those of us who (like me) have absolutely no modeling skill, could these turrets be placed in FRED, perhaps an extra drop-down menu in the weapons editor?

Could that feature possibly be added in the next SCP build, or is that impossible?

Offline Getter Robo G

Hey Retsof,

I know 3d programs can be intimidating for some (like me), but I am striving to make this as easy as possible even for complete neophytes.

When this initial part of the project is done you will have an assortment of prefab turrets so you can open TS and replace existing ones merely by moving into position and resizing. For more advanced people they can go back into the resources and mix and match the various elements (turret barrels arms for the most part will be oriented and pre-axeled/light glued already).

It will take more work on the end users part but will give you a wide range of turret combinations.

Of course simple replacement, or advanced mixing, will still need set up in PCS1 or 2 so FS2 recognizes they are turrets.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
I have a barrel I just made this evening if you want to toss it into the turret parts bin.
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Getter Robo G

Bumped by me...

1.) Reminder this project still exists.

2 .) Still in need of a modeler with time who knows proper set up of multi-part turrets.

3.) More critical, need a UV mapper, emphasis on adding 1 texture to all the raw meshes (still just show white on most of them even with a metallic test texture in the slot). A modeler who can do both is gold...

Interested parties can reply here or via PM, however, only do so if you actually have time to commit to this. [pls no "like to help, but can't" messages"] These are relatively simple procedures as most of the mesh work is done and consists of adding the generic texture and position the arms/joint to the base and sizing. (still beyond me at this point).

While it is acknowledged talent is scarce, this worthy goal remains on the back burner until someone steps forward. Regardless, I will continue to keep this project alive and focused on the original premise until it can come to pass. (and keep reminding people as we get new members).

If anyone have new turrets or turret parts (Base/Joint/Barrel) and you would like me to consider throwing in the project future releases let me know.

We have plenty of material that needs to be worked on for release1, any new finds will be slated to release2. Future packs will keep same naming convention and part categories (bases/joints/barrels) thus adding many more combinations to old and new inventories.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
:bump:

Hey, the turret from my Battlecarrier model is up for grabs. It's in separate files in the archive I uploaded in the related thread.