Author Topic: Need advice for new AGP graphics card!  (Read 5659 times)

Offline Roanoke

Re: Need advice for new AGP graphics card!
Just treated myself to an AGP 7600GT for just over £65 and some cheap system RAM. That'll do me as it should be plenty for MAX & most games. Haven't bought a new PC game for a few years now....

On a not-really-related note, how do I tell if my USB is v1 or 2 ? The rig about 7 yrs old, give or take.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Plug in a device that is USB 2.0. Windows will tell you that it will run faster on a 2.0 port, if you are below that.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Roanoke

Plug in a device that is USB 2.0. Windows will tell you that it will run faster on a 2.0 port, if you are below that.

so a USB2 device is backwards compatable ?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Yup.

Offline Roanoke

Cool, ta.

Offline Roanoke

Well, got my 7600GT running without either killing my PC (as yet) or burning down the house. Haven't really pushed it yet but it's gotta be a good sigh when the outgoing card is almost half the physical size of the new 'un  ;)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
What card did you have?

trying to get a x850XT platinum edition for about 90€... this will do for a while in my system I guess....  :cool:
anyone has expierences with this card? 350W will be enough ?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Depends on what else you have (processor, HDD, etc.). That currency symbol you showed means Euros, right? I'd go with something more powerful, if you had at all any money. An 850 is worse than my 9550/1050! For instance this card is WAAAAAYYYY better, and for the same price.

EDIT: I forgot that you need AGP. Here is a WAAAAAYYYY better AGP card:

w00t
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 01:11:05 pm by colecampbell666 »

Offline Roanoke

What card did you have?

Geforece4 MX 256mb

Could do with a new rig but it's not a priority for now.

Offline Roanoke

does anybody know what the power requirements are for a 7600GT ?

Since installing my new GPU my pc has developed a habit of rebooting when I fire-up applications. The device manager states windows is unable to drive the device due to registry issues but I'm wondering if it's getting enough power.

Don't really want to buy a new PSU as my budget upgrade is becoming less and less of a budget job  :blah:

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Quote from: NCIX.com
Performance
   NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
   560 MHz GPU
   12 Pixel Pipelines
   400 MHz RAMDAC

Memory
   256 MB, 128 bit DDR3
   1400 MHz (effective)
   22.4 GB/s Memory Bandwidth

Interface
   PCI-E 16X
   VGA, DVI-I, HDTV
   SLI Capable

Resolution & Refresh
   240 Hz Max Refresh Rate
   2048 x 1536 x 32bit x85Hz Max Analog
   2560 x 1600 / 1600 x 1200 Max Digital

Requirements
   Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp Amps.)
Minimum 400 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps.)

Offline Roanoke

Bloody hell, I can get a 400w psu for beer money. Be stupid not to.

Is it a big job to swap over ? Never tried it before.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Well, you don't want to just get anything. There are many good 300W/15A power supplies that will power such a system fine and also many low quality 600W/30A+ ones that will explode on it. Around here, the Antec Earthwatts models are the ones to get if you're on a strict budget (the 380W one is under $40), but the prices may be different over there.

A 7600GT's power usage is quite low anyway and the power supply might not be your problem given that driver message. Do the reboots only happen in 3D programs? Do they occur every time and right when you start the program?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
You had a list of power supplies that you gave me a while ago, that might be beneficial.

Offline Roanoke

A 7600GT's power usage is quite low anyway and the power supply might not be your problem given that driver message. Do the reboots only happen in 3D programs? Do they occur every time and right when you start the program?

Dunno know what's happening with it right now. Ran fine last night. It rebooted after launching Project IGI and Quake2 this morning (between leaving windows and the game actually kicking in on screen). Manually Rebooted and tried again: same thing. Manually Rebooted and IGI ran, albeit choppy. Rebooted again and reinstalled the drivers and DX9 (from the GPU CD).
Then windows wouldn't start-up. It just froze before the Windows loading screen.

Two things: Hardware device manager states the 7600GT is owrking correctly (ie no repeat of the previous error)
And the pc fails to Autostart. "Disk boot failure - boot from ATAPI CD Rom, insert Boot CD and press enter"
The boot CD has been long been lost so I just whacked enter and boots from the ATAPI, whatever the hell that is.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That sounds pretty messed up. I don't know how it's booting from a CD if there is no bootable CD in the drive. :wtf: You probably need to reinstall Windows to fix it for good. You might also want to try popping the old card back in and see if it still behaves weird.

Offline Roanoke

well, after more auto-rebooting I tried physically reinstalling the GPU and noticed some fluff 'n' stuff in the AGP slot and it immediatly starting working (albeit still with the start-up hiccup)so fingers crossed. Staying out of Max till I'm sure anyway.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Make sure you don't have a CD in the drive, see if that works.  If it doesn't, hop into your BIOS setup and set it to boot the hard disk first, then floppy, then CD-ROM.