Author Topic: Z-95 Headhunter  (Read 28136 times)

In all honesty, I think that's a good thing, as it's just one of the many little things that makes it look less advanced compared to the X-wing.

You do know that aerodynamics doesn't matter in space, right?
That´s why the Borg fly in a cubus.  ;)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
You don't need to bother counting the polies in the cockpit as they'll be detail boxed, and thus won't really affect performance until up close.  A general rule is that your polycount is the total number of polies minus the number of polies which will be in detail boxes.

Secondly, I think at this point we've almost thrown poly counts to the wind.  Do what you need to do, we'll tweak LOD settings later.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually, if we're lucky, player cockpits will be a separate POF, and then you just have to worry about the cockpits everyone else sees.  Those could possibly just go in the normal LODs, although having a somewhat nicer one that pops up closer than LOD0 might be nice.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline maje

So, here's a little WIP update of the textures.  There are a few things that bother me and the flight group design is still in the experimental stage.  Also need to find the correct balance with color variation and panel line depth.  And then of course dirtying everything up. :nod:

Oh yeah, belated Happy Thanksgiving! :D
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Holy goat that's good
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Why green? Why not red?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline maje

I chose green instead of red to give some variation.  Red and Yellow (Gold), aren't the only colors used in the Star Wars universe.  Besides, this Z-95 doens't belong to the Rebel Alliance, but to a smaller unaffiliated rebel cell whose colors are represented by a dark Forest Green, (the flight-leader's Headhunter is all black with lighter green markings to help with contrast).

Don't worry though, I'll give the Z-95 it's traditional red Alliance markings.

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well I think it looks great!  Love the colour scheme, except I'd think of adding a bit more saturation on the green, I'd suggest more of an olivy colour just to make it stand out a bit more from the panel lines.  As Content moderator, you get my red stamp of approval

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Spectacular Maje. Looks like that color scheme is that of CorSec.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline maje

Here we go.  Experimented more with flight group colors and dirtied up a few things. :)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Damn, this is awesome :eek2:

Outstanding work :yes:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
One thing about the texturing, it looks like it has detail, but it's just not clearly defined.  It's sort of hazy or something.  I would hope for something a little sharper, maybe this will happen with the normal maps and it goes through a render with them in use, I don't know.  I just think the panels should be a little sharper.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Here we go.  Experimented more with flight group colors and dirtied up a few things. :)

Oh, so dirty...  ;7

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Agreed, looks as if the dirtying has blurred the panel lines quite a bit

Offline maje

Yes, proper contrast has never been my forte.  I'll see what I can do with the burn and dodge tools.  I'm hoping to have the color map completed today and then get to work on the specular and normal maps.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
You should really leave the Panel lines on a separate layer, and once they're done, not touch them again with any other tools.  Dirt, sand, etc, don't change the grooves of the ship itself.  Add your weathering effects to a new layer on top, but leave the panel lines alone.  This'll also help you when it comes time for those normal maps

Offline maje

here's a render with spec and normal maps

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Is my monitor going dodgy, or does that look all... blurred? Like... cross between motion blur and I-need-glasses blur? Are you sure all your maps are lined up pixel perfect? I can imagine getting an effect like this if the normal map was displaced one pixel over from the main texture.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:08:24 pm by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
it looks blurry to me as well.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It looks to me like it has sort of a hand drawn sketch effect applied to it during or post-render.  Or there's just some wierd compression artifacting.