Author Topic: linux install help  (Read 2234 times)

Ok....I just started messing around with Ubuntu 7.10....used the nifty web installer to download everything, and now i've got the tar.gz file and not a clue as to what todo after that. Didn't see any threads that had instructions for the common n00b, so I figured I'd ask.

-VMaN

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Not sure what you got there, but you can do this to get the stuff out:
gunzip file
tar -xf file

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
if you got the linux binariesc through the executable, they should have been unpacked for you already.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

lol i thought i had to do some fancy install procedure to get them to work xD

I didn't realize that you just unpack and run the file lmao

Is there someplace where I can add the fancy launch options like how I did in windows?

Offline MikeRoz

You add them at the command line.

For example, here's what I routinely use:

Code: [Select]
./fs2_open -spec -glow -env -mipmap -missile_lighting -cache_bitmaps -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -mod mediavps -fps -jpgtga
The other graphical options are configured in a file located at ~/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini

Here's what mine looks like:
[Default]
VideocardFs2open=OGL -(1280x1024)x32 bit
VideoApi=OpenGL
LastPlayer=rozS
ScreenshotNum=1
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Yea I'm just gonna copy my launch options from the windows install and see what happens :)

-noscalevid -spec -glow -env -mipmap -spec_exp 11 -spec_static 0.8 -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -rearm_timer -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -alpha_env -fps -mod mediavps

:D

Will report back tomorrow with some issue lol

I made a very simple script for me:
#!/bin/bash
pushd /home/schoeggu/games/fs2/actual/code &>/dev/null
PARAMS=""
PARAMS="$PARAMS -env"
PARAMS="$PARAMS -spec"
PARAMS="$PARAMS -nograb"
#PARAMS="$PARAMS -window"
[...]
./fs2_open_r $PARAMS ${*} -mod mediavps
popd &>/dev/null
I all the params took from ./fs2_open_r --help where most options are displayed. With a good editor (vim, emacs..) you can change that to the PARAMS="$PARAMS -[option] very fast.

Then I commented out all the params I didn't want (like in this example the -window option).
Now I can easy add an option by removing the '#' at the of the line, or remove one by adding a # at the start of the line..

Of course, when calling the script I can also add options: fs_open -window -mod superduperfreespacemod (fs_open is the name of the scriptfile ;) )

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Remember too that you can also make use of the cmdline_fso.cfg file for specifying cmdline options.  Any options that you use by default for all mods you can add to ~/.fs2_open/data/cmdline_fso.cfg.

You can also have a "local" version, which is under data/ of the game directory, if you happen to make use of per-mod directory locations (like I tend to do).  That "local" version would then be used only by that one mod, allowing you to easily have per-mod options without having to edit anything.