Author Topic: Speaking of Call of Duty 4  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Inquisitor

Speaking of Call of Duty 4
Holy **** is this a good game. Yet another CoD game with more "oh ****" moments and frantic wartime story telling.

Spoiler:
I thought it was gutsy making me "play" the president who gets shot in the face, but wow, the nuke at the end of hte marine segment, I spent the helicopter ride thinking, ok, I'll live, then the world goes black. I was stunned, they just killed me with a nuke halfway through the game! And then a few minutes later, you "play" the mortally wounded marine crawling out of hte wreckage and the last think you see over the blasted landscape was the mushroom cloud. I was stunned. Literally. they killed me, then they made me play out the last things I saw before actually succumbing to my wounds. Gutsy way to tell a story, IMHO

Its missing a cover system ala Rainbow, Gears or GRAW, and where is the fracking coop, but apart form those two "problems" its pretty pitch perfect, at least in single player. At least as good as Bioshock, possibly better depending on your tastes. Not tried multi yet.
No signature.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
Re: Speaking of Call of Duty 4
yeah its briliantly well done :)
I hate My signature!

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Is the single player campaign good? I heard it was only a 5-6 hours in lenght and to me that strikes as really short.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
im still not done, have been doing since release, on veteran though
I hate My signature!

Offline Inquisitor

It was longer than 6 hours on Normal for me, I want to say 10, but I just finished it last night.

Veteran I imagine takes ALOT longer.

The campaign is excellent. I thought CoD 2 and 3 had weaker campaigns than 1, this is just as good if not better than 1 IMHO.
No signature.

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
The en was really good wont say any thing else...
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It was super short, but very well done, and the multiplayer is very good.

Offline Inquisitor

The end was very cool.

And the bonus level after the credits is neat too.

Will dig into multi tonight I think.
No signature.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm sad to say that, after browsing the 'Action' section of Steam, I still find a lot of these games are just the same thing going on in different environments.

Maybe it's just me, it's like I've never been big on Sci Fi, but can happily read 'Sword and Sorcery' stuff (However, when it comes to movies, I'm more Sci-Fi, though maybe that's because so few decent Fantasy movies have been made), I suppose all books are just words on paper, so it's the story that makes them important.

Offline Inquisitor

The CoD stuff seems to be less about the "game" and more about the "wartime experience."

They do some pretty gutsy things with story telling in this one, stuff you do not expect, and there is alot of the frantic feel of a really well done war movie, an incredible sense of scale (you are frequently pretty insignificant, just another soldier in a big conflict), really eschewing the whole "one guy saves the world" schtick of most FPS games.

There's a tone to the CoD games you just don't get in many (if any) other titles. My spolier above is just one example. You just don't see that kind of departure from the norm all that often. Even "perfect" games like Bioshock, you are the superhero, saving the day, and you'll live through it (probably) because you are the hero.

CoD doesn't let you make that assumption ;) And I think that makes it worth playing :)
No signature.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
thats why i uninstall bioshock after 3 hours of playing, all this solo pwnage crap is getting old, played through HL2 both eps because i had backup  :) and played HL2 just to get the storyline :)

and cod4 rocks, too bad i havent had time to play in the last few days.
I hate My signature!

Offline Inquisitor

Bioshock had a very "deep" story, that's what kept me in it.

Played a fair bit of CoD multi last night and some this morning before work. It's pretty good. Looks like they borrowed the Halo party system, and alot of objective based game modes. I had to play to unlock anythign but the DM and TDM modes, but that went pretty quick. So far all variations on controlling checkpoints, Headquarters is my favorite I think, so far in terms of gameplay. The whole "level up to unlock stuff" is a little annoying at first, but at least you are not completely gimped to start ala an MMO. Some of hte support actions are neat, calling in airstrikes and gunships is a hoot and mixes up the map tactics.

I found myself wondering why I would play this rather than R6 at times, not sure. I guess comparing an excellent game to an excellent game I should have worse problems ;)
No signature.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Sorry to bump this but I just got hold of it myself...

Wow.

I have to go with Inq. I've also just finished the marine segment. Incredible stuff. I'm also impressed that the graphics seemed to have been tweaked since the demo since I was having trouble squeezing a decent frame rate out of it then.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
i just finished the game, and god did i love the final sequence, i think i shed a tear :D
I hate My signature!

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
Picked up my copy on thursday - just finished Act 1.

It's everything the others have said, frantic, affecting and unconventional.  And on medium settings, I get better visuals and framerate than GRAW has ever given me with no stability issues whatsoever.

The only thing that seems to be missing (and this may just be to do with the loose nut at the keyboard) is that there's no selective-fire option on any of the automatics.

Regardless, me likes. 
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline Inquisitor

Yeha, the final sequence I was sure was gonna end differently aftere the way they handled the marines.
No signature.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
A quick question about the enemies... do they re-spawn or is there a maximum number that are steadily trickled out as you fight?

I ask because there have been times when I've simply run through a firefight and out the other side and the enemies haven't followed or anything, its just let me move on...

Offline Inquisitor

CoD has alot of "invisble triggers" you have to reach a certain condition or cross a certain line somewhere on the level, until then, you could easily face infinite enemies. Once you cross that "line" it transitions to the next series of events.

Its their way of making sure you don't "play it safe" all the time and just clear the level before moving to the next objective and making sometimes less than linear levels more linear.

It can get annoying at times, suppresses the realism achieved by other elements of the game.
No signature.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Looks like I'll have to get this game at some point. I see a lot of people saying good things about it.

CoD has alot of "invisble triggers" you have to reach a certain condition or cross a certain line somewhere on the level, until then, you could easily face infinite enemies. Once you cross that "line" it transitions to the next series of events.

I noticed that many times in COD2 as well. In some sense, the game actually rewarded you for running in with all guns blazing instead of staying back and firing from cover.

Bioshock had a very "deep" story, that's what kept me in it.

Only compared to other recent games, which isn't saying much. :p

Offline Inquisitor

It certainly never seems like a reward :)
No signature.