Author Topic: Imperial Star Destroyer fighting a GTD Orion  (Read 20661 times)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Imperial Star Destroyer fighting a GTD Orion
Alright . I successfully ported the Imperial Star Destroyer from Imperial Alliance mod , to FreeSpace2 SCP . The model looks weird at some parts , but has it's weapons working . Some of them didn't work , so I doubled all it's gun firepower . Shields were also working ( with no impact effect though - but they were working  :nod:) .

Now , you look at the video , and see for yourself , which is better .  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKSkfqAe6QI

Expect next one with GTCv Deimos' .  ;7

EDIT: P.S. I apologise for the kinda-low framerates on the video . FRAPS was being a pain along with Windows Movie Maker . They somehow managed to mess up the video , that I had to slow down 4 times to make it look normal .  :doubt:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 01:47:56 pm by ShadowGorrath »

Offline Shade

Re: Imperial Star Destroyer fighting a GTD Orion
Always fun to watch ISDs blow up. Still, given the size, I'd have had it down for living rather longer than it did. Did you set it up for shields to block beams? Given how much of their survivability a SW ship owes to its shields, that might account for something.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
No shields block photons , as photons are light . You won't find shields blocking light , now would you ?  :)

Though it was invulnerable from any other attack ( blob lasers for example ) . Only beam cannons could dent it .

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
This was an excercise in futility.

You have way too much free time on your hands :P
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Does give a nice feel to how the Engine has improved though, those lighting effects just keep looking better :)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
This was an excercise in futility.

You have way too much free time on your hands :P

I disagree with that . School takes up most of the time . I make videos when I get some free time . :D

You might try a massive space battle next time, as I cant FRED with my mac. o.o
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
5 ISDs fighting a single Orion ? Cause if any more , it would become too much .

I was thinking of sending in 1 or 2  GTCv Deimos' against an ISD .

I thought about hundreds of corvettes, destroyers and other capital ships attacking other corvettes, destroyer and other capital ships.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
DO YOU WANT MY POOR OLD PC TO GO NUCLEAR ?!  :lol:

Seriously . I hate missions when there's hundred ships attacking another group of ships , all in the same line , etc.

I believe those are called Battle of Endor type missions ?

Anyway , let's get back on topic .

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!

Still to small :D

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
MetalDestroyer - are you the one who made a Star Destroyer model ? If so , can I have one  :D

Oh , and an Orion is 2 kilometer long . A Star Destroyer is 1.4 KM long . So the size is correct on both vids .

But remember - beam cannons can slice through shields like a hot knife through butter , since no shield can stop photon ( which is a light ) attacks . ^^

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Nope, the models are from EvilleJedi (Star Wars Warlords mods for Homeworld 2).

But remember - beam cannons can slice through shields like a hot knife through butter , since no shield can stop photon ( which is a light ) attacks . ^^
What if the Star Destroyer was wearing a giant novelty pair of sunglasses though?
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
What if the Star Destroyer was wearing a giant novelty pair of sunglasses though?

More beams - call in the Sathanas ! ^^

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Photons are also not visible. Beams are visible.

Conclusion -> Beams do not consist of photons. They consist of some charged particles that emit photons around them.

If the beams were true photon beams, you could only see bright light at the hit point and probably some vaporizing metal, and possibly some diffraction/glimmering from gas and dust particles on the beam's way through the battle area, but not the solid light brite show we have in FS2.

That's the physical approach anyway, in the same sense that the argument of shields not stopping photons relies on physics...

I know they are called Photon beam cannons in the first mission of FS2 Campaign, but physically it is not "possible" that they would be just photons.

That said, the match between ISD and Orion really depends of how someone wants to balance the ships. It's just up to whichever is preferredf to win by the mission designer. If someone thinks Star Wars shields can't stop beams, that's a valid approach. If someone thinks Star Wars shields do stop beams, there's no evidence to the contrary either because there's no canon interaction between the universes (thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for small things).

IMHO, it's probable that SW shields would hold against beams since they do hold against turbolaser shots, which are essentially much closer to pulsed beams than FS2 turret blobs... If you look at the New Hope trench run, the TIE fighter shots look more like Minbari Nial's neutron beams (fast, repeating lances of light) than the relatively slow flying neon tubes from X-Wing series of games.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
There has been a long discussion on all this recently, link here. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,50114.0.html

Question, how do I get the link to work on a word or two, instead of pasting in the entire URL?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
This text...

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.google.com/]Hypertext link for Google[/url]
...will look like this: Hypertext link for Google
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Hard Light =/= Space Battles

Please don't bring up the Star Wars universe in this context again.