that works as well, but if you want ONLY a specific ship, and not the entire campaign, follow the following steps.
1. Get VPView32 or any other program that can view VPs.
2. Check in your FreeSpace 2 -> data -> tables for a file named "Ship.tbl". Don't have it?
3. Then go back to the main FreeSpace 2 folder and click on Root_fs2.vp. Open it.
4. Extract "Ship.tbl" to the tables file.
5. Leave the file for now, and now open the vp file for INFR1.
6. Find the vp which contains the wanted ship (a pof file).
7. Can't find it? Then extract the ship.tbl file of INFR1 to DESKTOP NOT TABLES FOLDER
8. Double-click on the ship.tbl from the desktop. When windows asks you what to open it with, click Notpad.
9. Find the ship you want. (Example: Vesvius)
10. Copy vesvius table entry to the ship.tbl in the tables folder. Paste it somwhere between the right categories (e.g. Destroyers, fighters, bombers)
11. Locate the table entries ship model, and locate that file in the INFR1 Vp.
12. Extract the pof to models folder.
13. (I doubt you know how to do it)Copy the textures of the ship to maps.
Ok, you may ignore what I said, this makes no sense to you right? Well, a shortcut: Just tell me what ships you want, and I'll arrange the files for you. Keep this for future reference if you want to learn modding.