Author Topic: Original BSG mod release Alpha  (Read 16493 times)

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Re: Original BSG mod release Alpha
The perfect program for doing Cylon voices. http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/cylonix.html It used to be a commercial program but is now unsupported freeware.
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok, I have gone through and done some editing of my own.  There's a lot of warnings with a debug build, but nothing that stops the game, and it works with a regular build too (3.6.9 even).  You won't need the cache files from this post if you use my models, you'll need to make new ones or use the ones I'm posting now.  You will need the first and third files in this thread though.  I put them all here for easy access.

Make a folder in your FS2 directory (named TOSBSG or BSGAlpha or whatever you want).
Create a folder inside of it called 'data'.

http://rapidshare.com/files/85382078/RaptorsBSGAlpha.rar.html - Extract this into the data folder directly.
http://rapidshare.com/files/85502489/RaptorsBSGAlpha-icons.rar.html - Extract this into the data folder, and move the icons.tbl file into the table folder.
http://swc.fs2downloads.com/files/bsg_data_20080123.7z - Extract directly into the data folder.
http://swc.fs2downloads.com/files/bsg_data_cache_20080123.7z - (Optional, but loading times can be painfully long without it if your pc is a bit older) Create a folder called 'cache' inside data, and extract this directly into it.

Now just select the first folder you created as a mod in the launcher.  To use it with Fred 3.6.9, create a shortcut to the fred build, edit its properties and add the options -fredhtl and -mod <folder> at the end, so that it looks something like this (mine is just an example):

D:\Games\FS2SCP\FreeSpace2\fred2_open_3_6_9.exe -fredhtl -mod bsgalpha

If you have quotes around your path to fred, put the options after the quotes.

There is one test mission, with every ship in the pack playing dead, and you flying a Mk2.  I used it for testing for holes in the ships.  The Protector and the Cylon AF currently have a few areas with issues, I reconverted all the models using Bob's latest (1/21) PCS2 build.  If he fixes any more issues I'll redo it.  I was considering editing the pof data and adding subsystems and such, but I just didn't have the patience to do that right now.  Someone else can, or I'll do it later.  Have fun.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Raptor

[joke]Thank you all for making me feel like an idiot [/joke] ;)

Honestly, It's been so long since I did anything with FS that I'm not surprised that I missed things that are needed.

http://rapidshare.com/files/86188925/maps.rar.html
Here are 'Pulsar-base' & 'Pulsar-Barrel'.  'HTLViper' shouldn't be needed.  It's an old version of 'HTLViperA'.  And the Scorpion shouldn't need it... :doubt:

I freely admit that my POF converting is seriously lacking.  I cring whenever I look at how big some of those .pof files are (Protector... 6.74Mb  :shaking:)

There are all sorts of issues that I haven't a clue how to deal with.  One is the engine wash thing (it strikes badly on my GTD Hera too)

@ GRG, RE Protector: Well, when you consider that the starting model was this:

I think I've managed to cut things down ;).  Besides, ATM it's only LOD0.  LOD1 would be the plain hull (the pale parts) without the darker addon's. Look at the Guardian for an example.

Chief1983:  I'd be very interested in those resaved models.  I used PCS(1) to convert them.  If the new files are smaller and/or more stable, then things would be a LOT better :nod:
Note to self: must look into getting PCS2...

In fact... If you could post/attach/send me the files, I can add the subsystems.
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
How... many... polygons...  :eek2: ?
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Raptor

389082.  And that's one of his lower poly models!

He makes models for rendering you see.  AND he likes to fillet EVERYTHING.

Here.  This is a wireframe view of the leading outer corner of his Protector's landing bay:

Last I heard, he was modeling Atlantis (as in Atlantis from Stargate: Atlantis), and the total poly count had readed 2-3 million! :shaking:
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
The only use I can think of for models like that is for rendering textures for lower poly counterparts. Still - that is quite useful. As long as the model is accurate in the first place. Which shouldn't be assumed. Number of polys doesn't translate directly to accuracy.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Water

I have a part re-uvmapped version if anyone wants to pick the model up and continue where I left off. But texture maps for the battlestar are impossible to come by.
Yeah if you could post a link would be cool.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

Chief1983:  I'd be very interested in those resaved models.  I used PCS(1) to convert them.  If the new files are smaller and/or more stable, then things would be a LOT better :nod:
Note to self: must look into getting PCS2...

In fact... If you could post/attach/send me the files, I can add the subsystems.

It's in the last post, the last two links (not the ones you already posted).  First one has the models and tables, second one has the cache files.  Sorry I didn't explain that very well in my post.  PCS2 is currently at RC2, although I think Kaz and Bob need to correlate a few spare pieces of code.  I've been using the build in Bobboau's signature.  I still wouldn't consider it quite production ready though, but it's getting really close.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Raptor

It's in the last post, the last two links (not the ones you already posted).  First one has the models and tables, second one has the cache files.  Sorry I didn't explain that very well in my post.

Ah, good.  Only snag... I don't have 7zip on my PC, so I can't open them.  Could you either repackage and post them as rar's, or post a link to 7zip?

Offline starlord

what was the attack star vessel raptor?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
http://www.7-zip.org/

It's probably the most 'free' archiving utility out there, and 7z compression (LZMA) has proven better than zip or rar in most situations, sometimes getting double the compression or more.

Offline Raptor

Excellent...

Attack Star?  Don't recall naming one that... :doubt:

Both the 'Guardian' and 'Protector' designs should be credited to 'chap who runs this site' here (I can't recall his name, and I can't find the email I got back from him granting me permission to use his ships):
http://ravensbranch.allen.com/colonialshipdescriptions.html

Not all of those will be used however.  I'm not so keen on his Cylon designs, so their fleet list is much less defined.  [HINT]Suggestions (with design sketch/simple mock up) would be most welcome!

Still - that is quite useful. As long as the model is accurate in the first place. Which shouldn't be assumed. Number of polys doesn't translate directly to accuracy.

Meh, know what you mean.  The number of 'wrong' Battlestars I've seen...

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Yeah, if it isn't size it's shape of the head or detail of the engines or look/distance angle of the pods.
The errors (I mean re-interpritations) are LEGION!  :lol:

Wait till you see the Warstar!  ;)

Anyway I just got a NEW (thata's right) computer!

Acer dual core 3.0 ghz
1Gig DDR2 MB

also had to buy a MSI 8500gt 256MB PCI-E with shader4.0/Dx10 ready

I hope I did the right thing cause now I am poorer than KENNY!  :hopping:

:P

SCP prepare to show me your glory!
(Great God almighty I am free at last!)

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Raptor

Yeah, if it isn't size it's shape of the head or detail of the engines or look/distance angle of the pods.
The errors (I mean re-interpritations) are LEGION!  :lol:

Yes, the 'head' seems to be the area most often messed up, at least on all the one's I've seen.  In fact, IPAndrews one is the closest.  Right shape, just need to re-work the 'notches' a little.

And about size...
http://ravensbranch.allen.com/galacticasize.html
Same site as above, only his examination of clips from the show to work out the Battlestar's size.  After looking there, I've gone for a length of ~1.2km for our Battlestars.

Offline starlord

could you give us a link to your old TOS BSG MOD site?

Offline Roanoke

He makes models for rendering you see.  AND he likes to fillet EVERYTHING.

Here.  This is a wireframe view of the leading outer corner of his Protector's landing bay:

Last I heard, he was modeling Atlantis (as in Atlantis from Stargate: Atlantis), and the total poly count had readed 2-3 million! :shaking:

and he does that in TS ??  :shaking:

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Meh, know what you mean.  The number of 'wrong' Battlestars I've seen...

That's a sad truth.

I'm somewhat hesitant to post this, but that's my WIP battelstar I started over the Christmas holidays:

It's based on these blueprints: http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1723/battlestarnovapreview07mh5.gif  (which in turn are based on Jim Creveling's awesome 1:1 studio scale model)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff

Whoa.  Seriously, you should never use those models in a game, unless you render sprite versions of them and use them in your game.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Damn looking good Col! Keep us updated...  :yes:
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Raptor

That's a sad truth.

I'm somewhat hesitant to post this, but that's my WIP battelstar I started over the Christmas holidays:

It's based on these blueprints: http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1723/battlestarnovapreview07mh5.gif  (which in turn are based on Jim Creveling's awesome 1:1 studio scale model)

AT LAST! Someone models the Battlestar head correctly! :eek2:  AND it fits with the detail I've left on SteveW's based models!

You have any plans to finish that?  If not, you willing to let the Mod have it?  Pretty please? :nod:

@Roanoke: Never actually said directly, but as all his models are save in .cob format... then yes.  TS ain't that bad.  I use it.

@Talon 1024: Well as he only does high quality render images, then it's okay for him.  Us, well what do you think has been hold this project up?

On a related note:

I've been doing some more work on the Protector, sorting out the LODing.  Both LOD0 & 1 will use shared parts, with LOD0 having an extra layer of detail objects.  I think the 'detail box' system will be needed here...