Author Topic: unusual visual effects noted when running FSO....  (Read 2674 times)

Offline nijineko

• Two strange quarks short of a graviton...
unusual visual effects noted when running FSO....
i have noticed some unusual visual effects when running the FSO. please note that i am a newbie here at these forums and with using the FSO, which i was ecstatic to find, and promptly told many of my friends about. i apologize if i tread on any conventions... just looking for some help and advice. i have read over the stickied threads here, and played with the game settings, and have attempted keyword searches here on the forums, and still am needing help.

i have been able to install and launch the game with no issues. (yea!) in running the training missions, however, i have noticed that the stars look blocky, the nebulas display odd visual artifacts depending on the angle that i am facing them, and many of the ships have the textures offset by about 300 units or so. the weapon hits, however register just fine. the only thing i am seeing of the ship in the correct physical location are the engine exhaust and some structural components plus running lights and the like. the majority of the textures are offset by a good distance from the actual model.

also, some of the ships display what looks like an advertisement or sticker instead of engine exhaust. it is round and has something written on it, but i don't recall what it is from the one time that i flew within 30 units to see what it was.

i have turned down the video settings, but this does not seem to affect these issues at all. although it does speed up slightly. ^^ the game otherwise seems to run just fine. no issues with sound, none with the in-game settings or menus, everything else about the training modules seems to run just fine. please advise!

here is the system i am running this on:

Model Name:   MacBook Pro 15"
  Processor Name:   Intel Core Duo
  Processor Speed:   2.16 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   1
  Total Number Of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache (per processor):   2 MB
  Memory:   1 GB
  Bus Speed:   667 MHz

ATI Radeon X1600:
 Chipset Model:   ATY,RadeonX1600
  Type:   Display
  Bus:   PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  VRAM (Total):   256 MB
  Vendor:   ATI (0x1002)
  EFI Driver Version:   01.00.068
  Displays:
Color LCD:
  Display Type:   LCD
  Resolution:   1440 x 900
  Depth:   32-bit Color
  Built-In:   Yes
  Core Image:   Hardware Accelerated
  Quartz Extreme:   Supported

Arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshouka?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: unusual visual effects noted when running FSO....
Set your display to 1024x768 before running.  Currently only 4x3 resolutions are supported. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Set your display to 1024x768 before running.  Currently only 4x3 resolutions are supported. 

Hmm ... I have been able to play in widescreen just fine with no problems except for a stretched (and occasionally misaligned) hud.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I can use wide screen on one computer but not the other and they are both using the same monitor.   It's the first thing to try as it's not supported yet.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It's the Maaaaac.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
It's the Maaaaac.

Its not just the fact that its a mac.  I run widescreen fine on a mac.

So change it to 4:3, and just see if that fixes the problem.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
I had blocky stars too before my old x1300 died...  :blah:

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
The fs2_open 3.6.9 build is not well working on an intel Mac and Ati X1x00 graphics.

Try this (works for me MPB X1600 X10.5.2)

Download the latest build for MacOSX here

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,50959.msg1030014.html#msg1030014

but use the "window" mode option if you are on a intel Mac and or 10.5.x

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,50959.msg1043911.html#msg1043911