Author Topic: Something that's nearing completion ... is released  (Read 26790 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: Something that's nearing completion ... is released
Since this got bumped, I might as well mention that I've updated the download link with a new VP, which includes Herra's very cool normal, height maps and tweaked shine maps.

Available here.

You might as well drop the height map from the VP since it's effect isn't really all that notable and it adds another texture to be rendered. I included it as an optional/experimental content, but for a VP release, I think it'd be better to keep it out because it's more difficult to activate/deactivate when it's in the VP and people whow want to deactivate it will be... inconvenienced.

Also, the download link gives a file named WDQNQMANQ0HVI2U2L4ZM8E5T0QIR7373FWQ7J1T0. Without extensions. I could guess it was a zip file at second try and it opened normally in 7zip after renaming itto GTB_Rhea.zip, but it will most likely confuse the heck out of a lot of people.

At least that's what it gave as a downloadable file with Firefox. Didn't try other browsers. I've personally found MediaFire.com to work pretty painlessly for boy uploader and downloader, if you're looking for an alternate place to put files to.

EDIT: false alert. It was just the Free Download Manager screwing things up... Firefox itself could handle it normally.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 01:43:47 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ok, I've removed the height map from the VP, I couldn't judge its effect, since normal/height maps are not supported on my oldish GPU.

About the weird link, the gibberish is the direct link to the download, which is hosted on the online storage service of my ISP, but when you click it it should save with the correct name.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
So the starmap ain't in-game, huh? Pity.

*bumpage*

Now it is.

...or rather, almost. I haven't placed any baked-in stars onto this nebula texture (it isn't impossible to do so, though) but aside from that, I have devised a cunning plan to use global nebula texture while retaining sharp stars like in the recent MediaVP's. Basically what you're looking at is two skybox spheres, the outer one having the stars and the inner one having the nebula texture.

In-game it looks very close to that custom background. Perhaps the hue is a bit different, but that can be fixed relatively easily now that I've got the stuff actually working.  :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I don't care if it's imperfect. Please upload it to FSMods. :)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:42:25 pm by Herra Tohtori »