Author Topic: Alternate Universe campaign...  (Read 4175 times)

Offline Dranon

• 158th On Station
Alternate Universe campaign...
I was wondering if anyone had done something similar to this...  I haven't been able to find any myself, but i haven't been around fs2 that long...

Basically it starts 5 years after The Capella supernova.   Alpha 1 is assigned to a research station to help test new technologies (after all Alpha 1 is such a cool and elite guy... :D ).   During the testing of an improved jumpdrive (much more compact, less power required, for cap ships) something goes wrong.  The ship jumps (which happens to be the Aquitaine), but does not come out anywere near where it is supposed too.  In fact as far as command can tell, it does not come out in terran/vasudan space at all.  There has been no contact from them since the jump.  

Alpha 1, being his elite special self, is ordered by command to take a squadron of fighters with him in a modified freighter, which has the improved jumpdrive on it as well, and find the Aquitaine.  The exact settings of the first jump are recreated and the freighter jumps, with Alpha 1 aboard.  When the freighter comes out of subspace, it seems to be in the same place, but no station, and no contact with command.

It turns out that the jumpdrive caused the ships to jump to an alternate universe, where the Lucifer was NOT destroyed, and the remnants of the Vasudans and Terrans are on the constant run from shivan ships.

This campaign would require minimal mods (a new beam (primitive terran/vasudan beam), a new fighter or two (for alpha 1 of course), and modified ships (weapons changed)).

Let me know if this is a decent idea...
Steak for Mayor!!

Offline Neon

Re: Alternate Universe campaign...
It's a good one, though lot's of campaings based on alternate universes and dimensions are on mission designers mind :)

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Might I remind you that they knew how to kill the Lucifer and even if it had survived to wipe out Earth they woulda just killed it on its way back to DS.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline ^Graff

Not necessarily.  The PVD Prophecy could have destroyed the Bastion, and with it covering the jump node, no other GTA of PVN ships could have entered the node to kill Lucy on its way back.  Plus, there was probably another Shivan destroyer in the area(where do you think that all those shivan fighters were coming from as you ran for the node?)
Originally posted by Anduril:
Dang, Graff, you good.  :)

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
It woulda been taken out sooner or later. They coulda just crashed a destroyer into it in subspace.
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

Offline ^Graff

True, but maybe Lucy would have called for reinforcements if it was heavily damaged by the Bastion's strike force?  Then you might have had another one to deal with.
Originally posted by Anduril:
Dang, Graff, you good.  :)

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
Re: Alternate Universe campaign...
Originally posted by Dranon
I was wondering if anyone had done something similar to this...  I haven't been able to find any myself, but i haven't been around fs2 that long...

Basically it starts 5 years after The Capella supernova.   Alpha 1 is assigned to a research station to help test new technologies (after all Alpha 1 is such a cool and elite guy... :D ).   During the testing of an improved jumpdrive (much more compact, less power required, for cap ships) something goes wrong.  The ship jumps (which happens to be the Aquitaine), but does not come out anywere near where it is supposed too.  In fact as far as command can tell, it does not come out in terran/vasudan space at all.  There has been no contact from them since the jump.  

Alpha 1, being his elite special self, is ordered by command to take a squadron of fighters with him in a modified freighter, which has the improved jumpdrive on it as well, and find the Aquitaine.  The exact settings of the first jump are recreated and the freighter jumps, with Alpha 1 aboard.  When the freighter comes out of subspace, it seems to be in the same place, but no station, and no contact with command.

It turns out that the jumpdrive caused the ships to jump to an alternate universe, where the Lucifer was NOT destroyed, and the remnants of the Vasudans and Terrans are on the constant run from shivan ships.

This campaign would require minimal mods (a new beam (primitive terran/vasudan beam), a new fighter or two (for alpha 1 of course), and modified ships (weapons changed)).

Let me know if this is a decent idea...

Heh, sounds familiar to me.
Several months ago I had been thinking along similar ways.
Nothing so fancy as your experiment, but just the end of the 2nd war gone wrong. Nobody stopped the shivans at Capella and they came through. The GTVA trying to delay them to get as many people out as possible... You get my drift.

You idea is better. Go for it I'd say.
You'll only have to make sure that there aren't lose ends on your alternative timeline.
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Lets just say that I'mm completely right and leave it at that. :D

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
the first bit, at least, sounds farmilaier to farscape, lost in space, some space game with a 'X' in it. Pretty common...
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I had a similar idea a few days ago, but mine worked through an experimental Ancient knossos varient that the GTVA uncovered. It would lead into a universe where the Vasudans had won the TV war, the GTI had never encountered and provoked the Shivans, and the Great war never happened. The Vasudans were now running the galaxy, trying to fend off Terran rebels, completely unaware of the Shivans existence. Their weapons were a sort of cross between FS1 and 2, no beams, but a sort of VSL (Vasudan Super Laser) and some very powerful, huge missiles (like ICBM size). The arrival of a fully operational, fully beamed hecate messed things up a little, though. The crux was of the campaign was to be thus - The dimensional knossos dropped them off in some out of the way system, and they begin exploring, eventually running into hostile vasudans, who they absolutely destroy with beams and advanced fighters (Ares, Erinyes etc.) They then meet some terran rebels, who assume they are some sort of new rebel faction, and they ally with each other, the rebels intending to use beams to overthrow the Vasudans, the GTVA crew hoping to find a way back home. The player then goes through a series of missions, both for the rebels and the captain of his ship. Eventually, they return home through the Gamma Drac Knossos, but this alerts the Shivans to their prescence, and they begin pouring into the GTVAs dimension. Eventually, GTVA command decides to destroy the interdimensional knossos and the campaign ends.

BTW, if anyone else wants to do this, go ahead. I'm not intending to use the idea any time soon.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dranon

• 158th On Station
I'm well aware that Command knew how to destroy the Luci.  I'm still working on this though idea though.

I will start it soon, but as i'm currently also working on 158th, it will be a bit before i start it.  This will give me time to work out the idea more.
Steak for Mayor!!

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
you know, if you want the campaign to be part of the 158th collection, i can help you with it and so can the rest of my staff if they havent signed up for your campaign already.  Plus i got some very talented people from Ursa Pride Productions who can take care of a lot of the voice acting and some animations.  (im also a modeler so i can make the fighters you need)  just a thought.

Offline Dranon

• 158th On Station
I'll wait for a little bit.  I want to at least get most of the ITN stuff done before i start on my own stuff.  Maybe in a month or so i will start it.
Steak for Mayor!!

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Idea's good, reeeeeeeeeeealy good!!! :D

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Hah! Found it! This is the other 'Alternate' campaign I'd remembered. Shazam. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Re: Re: Alternate Universe campaign...
Originally posted by Neon
It's a good one, though lot's of campaings based on alternate universes and dimensions are on mission designers mind :)

Yeah, thank you very much dude! :P

Yeah, my campaign also goes around alternate universes, but it is much more complex, and tries to explain some things that happen in FS (*HINT* Capella *HINT*)... :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Dranon

• 158th On Station
I will be starting work on this in the next week or two.  I'll probably have a website in the 158th area for it soon.
Steak for Mayor!!

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
This sounds like a good idea to me.  Do I get issued my Perseus yet or do I have to wait in line?
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It's kind funny, X: Beyond the Frontier had you be the person that warped accidentally:D;):p

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Dranon
I will be starting work on this in the next week or two.  I'll probably have a website in the 158th area for it soon.

You don't say! Wow, that's neat. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.