Author Topic: BHX  (Read 3318 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
There has been a flurry of people asking me about BHX over the last few days. In response to that I thought I'd just take a few minutes to fill everyone in on what happened regarding BHX and where it is going.

Development of BHX stopped about a year ago. About the same time that most of the TBP team vanished. With so little support pushing TBP towards a final state I was happy with sapped all of my time and left none fot other projects.

When I left the campaign the backbone of the campaign was basically working. You could select two races and play through a war. The concept also had proven basically sound. It was mostly fun to play, although the missions were a bit generic and dulled by the lack of diologue.

I was experiencing quite a few problems with the game engine. Missions used a lot of SEXPs and pushed the game engine to the limits of what it was capable of doing. For that reason the lack of a stable build caused problems. For that reason I also made a decision it was best to delay development of BHX until such time as there was a stable game engine build and TBP build.

The future of the campaign is uncertain. Now we have a stable game engine and stable TBP build it's something I could pick up again. But in the short term I want to write a new Crusade era linear campaign first. After that though? We'll see.

If anyone is desperate enough to see BHX that they want to pick it up themselves try to run with it then feel free to ask me about it. I can supply code and heaps of advice. But I'd warn anyone that you need to be pretty expert with FRED or the BHX code will drive you insane.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

:D
great, great news!!!

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
cool!  :D great news!
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I'm fascinated. What exactly is great news here?
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Shade

I'm puzzled as well. As I read it, you said nothing about actually completing it, but rather that it's definitely not going to happen in the short term. Do people actually read the posts they reply to? :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
WHAT? You are not going to release tomorrow? Mhm, must have got something wrong...  :ick:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
It was a long post, and a bit dull. Maybe they got bored half way through.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I assume they're happy that you're not jealously sitting on the missions refusing to let anyone look at them in case they might actually be able to

a) Understand them.
b) Finish the campaign.

:D

While certainly good news it doesn't mean anything is going to happen unless someone actually steps up to work on them. I would, but BtRL is keeping me far too busy. I'm more than willing to offer similar help and support to anyone willing to do it but having seen the BHX missions in early development I know that whoever takes this on had better be very good with FRED.

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline tomcat

• Dark Lord of Truespace
It was a long post, and a bit dull. Maybe they got bored half way through.

You still have time man... :)
Truespace is the path of the Dark Side
-----------------------------------------------
Dark Truespace Master Tomcat

the great news it that you at least are thinking about complete it,
the last thing i read about bhx its that you not have plans to complete it.
so this are grat news  :P

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Er, what does "BHX" actually stand for?
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Birmingham International Airport.  :rolleyes:

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I'd like to see BHX released one day, the beta version I played some while ago was ****in' rad :)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Behold, I officially announce the release date of BABYLONIAN HISTORY X:  30th February 2021 !

Guys, play it low. The project MAY be revived next year or so but pay attention to the choice of verbs  :rolleyes:
Seriously, did anybody read IP's posts  :lol: ?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Behold, I officially announce the release date of BABYLONIAN HISTORY X:  30th February 2021 !

wow closer that i spected!!! im specting it in late 2259