Author Topic: TBP 3.4b release candidate feedback  (Read 11122 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: TBP 3.4b release candidate feedback
Confirmed.  Briefing voices play but not the command briefings. 

Just took a look in FRED.  While the sound file are referenced they are not in the VP.  So they are either missing or were never made. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 08:13:10 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Ok I have no confidence in this release candidate anymore. Pulled.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Tiponey

Yeah i confirmed the missing voices too. I noticed one thing too I can install all the game even if the installer says i haven't enough place(i only have 2.5g of free space when i do it).And for the planet in Drum of War i can send you the fixed planet becoz i redone the the vp core (becoz i got an old fx 5200) to check the missing mipmaps the problem i'm too lazy to check the filename

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
hey guys, the EMW command briefing voices did not play since 3.3  :rolleyes:   I never even knew they had voice-files:lol:

FUBAR, what do you mean by shockwave flag? Under special explosions? If yes, problem is I also have some extra sexps creating more shockwaves which are not displayed...
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Yea that is the flag I meant.  I never tried using the sexp.  If there is a problem with that add what it is doing to my Mantis report.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
hey guys, the EMW command briefing voices did not play since 3.3  :rolleyes:   I never even knew they had voice-files:lol:

Ah, then my memory wasn't failing me. What seems to be the problem, are the files not included in the VP or in the wrong directory ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I took a look in both the EMW VP and the Core VP and didn't see them in any directory.  I guess that would make them MIA.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ok, I'm digging up my old backup CDs with R1 and R2, they have to be somewhere.

EDIT: I checked R1 and there are no CB voices as well, so there probably never were any and my memory was tricking me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:43:21 pm by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I just checked EMW version 2.0 and there are no command briefing sound samples. The command briefings are text only.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Reinstated downloads since at this time we only have one trivial bug (shockwave).

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
so are we gonna fix the shockwave bug or no?

hip63 :p
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline gerrish

Hello, not sure if this is the right thread to post this on but I've got a problem with the 3.4b release in that the game freezes shortly after the arrival of the breaching pods, in the 2nd (boarding party) mission of raider wars. I've tried reinstalling it, and tried using the TBP 3.4 release but the same thing occurs.
    I would be really grateful for any help as shooting bad guys in outer space is my favourite pastime.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
does it freeze every time (PLEASE TRY BEFORE TELLING ME "YES, IT DOES")
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Just gave that mission a run through and while I manged to screw up the mission again (disabled the carrier) it didn't crash.

If you do crash again post you system specs.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 03:32:25 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
so are we gonna fix the shockwave bug or no?

Well Kara didn't send me any code. I don't have time to set up CVS and become a proper coder. Kara doesn't know how to fix the bug. None of the other coders will touch Kara's TBP/BTRL specific build. So the answer is no.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If it's fixed in 3.6.10 I can probably port it. The problem with sending the code is that I'm not even certain that the null vector is the cause. It might be a completely unrelated bug.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I was doing some more thinking.   You said that the error is in FS2 as well but for some reason it works in FS2.  Could it have something to do with the 2D style shockwave effect in TBP?  The shockwave in FS2 is pretty much a sphere.  Think I'll try rotating that mine and see if it produces a different result.

Well that had no effect except changing the shockwave path.  Damage worked the same.

Does the special explosion data come from a table or is it just in the code? 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:59:59 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
If it's fixed in 3.6.10 I can probably port it. The problem with sending the code is that I'm not even certain that the null vector is the cause. It might be a completely unrelated bug.
A patch that should fix it is now attached to the bug (http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=1638).  I'm still testing it myself, so I'm not 100% sure about what breaks or not (explanation of the problem is in the bug report now).  It's not going to be an issue for retail data, just for mods, but I'm going to play wait-and-see with it before committing.  If there doesn't appear to be any negative reports in an Xt build or two then I'll commit the fix at that point.

Oh, and null vector warning will never break anything (well, there is a 0.0001% chance I suppose).  It's something that happens constantly in the code but it's really not a big deal.  It gives us clues into some issues, but the warning message is just an indicator that the code automatically fixed any possible problem already.  It's annoying, but otherwise harmless.  In this particular case it's simply an issue of the the shockwave center being almost directly on the ship position.  Just FYI. :)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
What's this ai_lethality fix Taylor? Just so i know what else we took onboard with this latest fix. ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I didn't actually include it since I didn't know what it was for either. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]