Author Topic: Wildly Fluctuating Framerate  (Read 1694 times)

Wildly Fluctuating Framerate
Hi all! 

I've been trying to get TBP running on my machine and I'm having issues keeping a stable framerate.  No matter how low I set the video settings it seems like as soon as an object comes into view (Or even one of the 2d background objects.  Planet, nebula, etc) the framerate hits the floor.  It's makes it incredibly difficult to target anything when the framerate is that random. 

I know the thing works.  One time I started it and it ran smoothly, but the next time I started it I was back to square one. 

I am not sure what the problem is.  I have a decent system: Intel Dual Core processor, 4 gig of onboard RAM, NVidia 8800 GTX, fast serial ATA hard drives... and yet the framerate is less stable than I get with Crysis...

Hopefully someone can give me some suggestions, because I've been banging my head on this for hours now.  I'm sure there's an answer somewhere on the forums or wiki, but I can't seem to find it.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Wildly Fluctuating Framerate
It's most likely your video drivers.  There have been a rash of reports with newer Nvidia drivers causing problems.  I know these aren't the same problem but it is probably the same solution:  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,53110.0.html and http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,52828.0.html You may also need to set the affinity to just one core on the processor.  May want to try that before the drivers.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Re: Wildly Fluctuating Framerate
Thanks for the tip!  You were absolutely right.  Nvidas latest release drivers are appear to have serious problems with OpenGL.  Fortunately their new BETA drivers work just fine.  Everything is nice and smooth!

Thanks again!