Author Topic: Name that rifle  (Read 5384 times)

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
There's a rifle/smg that's made an appearance in several games and tv series, and I've been trying to find out what it's really called.  All I find, though, are references to the games and series that I already know about.

It's been in:
Perfect Dark (As the RC-P120)
Chrome (as the Matson CAFS)
UT2K4 (Can't remember what it was called)
Lost Panet (although I think that might have been a FAMAS)
And it was also used in at least one episode of Stargate SG-1, before they went back to the P-90s.

Does anyone know if it's based on a real weapon, or is it just a cool-looking prop?
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I think they are all based on the P90.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
The Perfect Dark RC-P120 is not an actual gun.  It looks like the used the FN P90 for inspiration but its not a real weapon that I know about.

Don't know some of the other references.  Which SG-1 episode?  There is only a couple of episodes in SG-1 where they use a rifle I didn't know (that was in Avenger 2.0 and Lost City).  In Season 9 & 10 there were some appearances of a G-36 and a few MP7s.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

They look like a cross between the real life FN-P90, always a darling of the gaming industryhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_P90,  and the M-41A pulse rifle from aliens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M41a.  Both known for their futuristic design, and absurd magazine capacities.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

There's a rifle/smg that's made an appearance in several games and tv series, and I've been trying to find out what it's really called.  All I find, though, are references to the games and series that I already know about.

It's been in:
Perfect Dark (As the RC-P120)
Chrome (as the Matson CAFS)

UT2K4 (Can't remember what it was called)
Lost Panet (although I think that might have been a FAMAS)
And it was also used in at least one episode of Stargate SG-1, before they went back to the P-90s.

Does anyone know if it's based on a real weapon, or is it just a cool-looking prop?

These look like a hybrid of FAMAS and P90 to me.
Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way!!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
You're probably thinking of the H&K G36K, the compact carbine version of the G36 rifle.  It chambers 5.56mm NATO rounds.

The standard G36K (in use today) has been used in modified forms, such as that pulse rifle, in several movies and games.  It looks somewhat similar to Fabrique Nationale's FAMAS.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You're probably thinking of the H&K G36K, the compact carbine version of the G36 rifle.  It chambers 5.56mm NATO rounds.

The standard G36K (in use today) has been used in modified forms, such as that pulse rifle, in several movies and games.  It looks somewhat similar to Fabrique Nationale's FAMAS.

Heyyyy, the Aliens pulse rifle wasn't a modified G36K...or do you mean one of the other ones he provided?

The M41 predated the G36K.  It was a Tommy gun and a shotgun in a plastic case, iirc.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
All you ever wanted to know about the Aliens weapon:  http://www.m41a.com/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:53:55 pm by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I have a suspicion that we're talking about several different weapons in all of those various sources and they have just been misidentified as being the same weapon.

It does happen...many tend to look similar at first.  I thought for a little while that the rifles used in Battlestar Galactica were FN SCAR's until I had a closer look and realized they weren't.  Forget what they were actually...but I had tracked it down at one point.
- IceFire

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
IceFire's probably right.

www.carnwyffa.u-net.com/GUNS/g36ccomparison.jpg

That's the G36K on top, and the G36C on bottom.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
The G36 is a really interesting weapons family.  There is also the MG36 and the G36E (which I think is a export version lacking some features I think).  I really like the 36C...such a compact design for what amounts to nearly a full fledged rifle with some tradeoffs.
- IceFire

sorta like the AR15, M16, and M4? all are basically the same but with minor differences, and nowhere as cool a the G36
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Well the AR15 to my knowledge is just a civilian version of the M16.  The M4 is a shortened carbine of the M16...but there is no MG or sniper variation to my knowledge from the M16.  Nothing in wide use that I know about.  Most of the newer rifles are a family of variations from the start like the G36, the XM8 prototypes (canned apparently), Type 95, etc.
- IceFire

Offline Zoltan

Well the AR15 to my knowledge is just a civilian version of the M16.  The M4 is a shortened carbine of the M16...but there is no MG or sniper variation to my knowledge from the M16.  Nothing in wide use that I know about.  Most of the newer rifles are a family of variations from the start like the G36, the XM8 prototypes (canned apparently), Type 95, etc.

The AR-15 is a rifle that was considered for use by the military, the M-16 is the modification of the AR-15 that was accepted.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

Actually, the M4 is a different weapon altogether.  M16's chamber a 7.62mm NATO round; the M4 chambers a 5.56mm NATO round.  The carbine design is based on the design of the M16, but in terms of its ballistics its quite a different firearm.

The AR15 is the design prototype (AR = assault rifle) for the AR-15 civilian variant, M-16, and M-4 design, but the AR15 is also based off the 5.56mm cartridge as opposed to the 7.62mm.  Interestingly, an AR-15 is really nothing more than a high-powered .22 calibre semiautomatic rifle; 5.56mm NATO rounds are merely steel-jacketed .22 calibre rounds with extended powder capacity; the next evolution of the .22LR ammunition type.  They travel faster and farther than a .22LR round, but the actual diameter is nearly identical.

The G36 family consists primary of the G36 (long rifle), G36K (carbine), and G36C (Commado; short-barelled CQB weapon based loosely off the H&K's UMP design).  Like the M16 family, the long rifle chambers 7.62mm ammunition while the shorter carbine and commando variants are 5.56mm.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The M16 and M4 are both chambered for 5.56. Ballistically speaking the M4s muzzle velocity is slightly slower and it's slightly less accurate. Practically the M4 jams quadruple from the M16 in the field

AR10 is about as close as you're gonna find to a 7.62 NATO M16

Oh... and the M-16 has many varients Wikipedia

You can't make 8,000,000 guns over 4 decades and a dozen countries without some variation. Go look at the AK
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:26:16 am by Mars »