Author Topic: Weapons! We need YOUR help!  (Read 47114 times)

Offline bob_v5

Re: Weapons! We need YOUR help!
Well heres what I have for the emp so far.  Not sure if the bit at the back is meant to be fins or sort of round like I have done it. Any ideas? Am I even doing the right weapon? I found two versions of the emp in "sparky_fs2.vp" and another in "mv_models.vp"

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Those are the low-poly models you're looking at. For reference you really want to see the FS1 animations. Do you have them?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline bob_v5

Yea I think so.  The one for the emp has only one frame though. In fsport3_0_4?  Looks like il be starting my model again!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
No, I mean the ORIGINAL animations, from Silent Threat. Here.

"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline bob_v5

cheers.

so Galemp, are you going to keep changing your title as your projects change?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
yep. :D It's there so people will stop bugging me, asking what I'm doing, and to prove I am working.

Offline bob_v5

This is what I have so far. What ya think?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Nice work so far. It could definitely pass for an in-game model.

Try to get a few more details on there, like the little capsules around the nose. And double check the proportions on the engines, I think it's more of an X than a square.

I'm also very happy to see it textured. :nod:

Offline bob_v5

Yea, I was making it as the in game one. Figured it would be easier for me as I havent done 3d stuff for years. Is the 100 polys recomended or max? I'm at 84 faces at the moment, not sure how that translates to polys but I know its prety close to the limit. I was trying to get the x at the back and capsule things with the texture, instead of adding more faces.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Oh, that's just something rough to go by. You'll only be seeing it onscreen for a fraction of a second before it becomes tiny, after all, so use your discretion.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Oh, you mean the railgun and VLL tech models? I can try to do that, I suppose

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Those, and the Barracuda, Fang and Havoc missiles.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Alright, i'm working on the railgun now, i'll see if I can post some screenshots later today.

EDIT: Here we go. Needs more detail, I know, Tell me what you think:

Edit 2: What exactly needs to be done other than the model itself? I can export with no problems (not that it matters in this case) from SU as .3ds, and you'll texture/animate it?

Edit 3: ....And I have too much time on my hands. I'd call this finished, but if you want any details added let me know.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:45:07 pm by Hellstryker »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
That looks nice, but I think it needs a little more hardware to attach it to something. Maybe take the back end and scale it up 200%. As it is, 80% of the length is taken up by the barrel; it should be prominent, but be about proportionate to the Maxim.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
The back -does- need more, but i'm not entirely sure what to do with it. it's better than the shield breaker, at the very least.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about a belt-feed for the ammo?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Aye, that would be neat-looking (though I'm not sure they would use something like that (as far as realism))

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
AS the age-old statement said, "Who said FreeSpace was realistic?" :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
It's a railgun... railguns aren't belt-fed... and in any case, it's an energy weapon... :doubt:

Just something big and chunky, like you'd find on the back of any other Terran weapon.