Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3061826 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
Re: W-H-I-Y-L It aint NEVER Over FOOL!!!!
nuke are you secretly an electrical engineer

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
More importantly, are you wearing the correct safety gear while doing all of this. You're a mod, you set the example for us to avoid follow.  :nod:
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
If Nuke set his mind to it, he probably could take over the planet in the course of a week or two.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Steam
The best safety gear for electronics fabrication is:
Sponge
Bottle of Water
Open Window
Fan
Fast reflexes

Anything else is optional. :D
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline LHN91

The good: There's someone in one of my psychology classes who sent out a mass email with all their notes for the exam tomorrow, and they seem well fleshed out and accurate. Perfect for comparing my notes against.

The bad: They number, in total, 76 pages. Typed, 11pt Calibri, single spaced.

The ugly: Not being sure if 90% of it is useless schlock we won't be tested on, or if I should actually know (and have notes on) everything on these 76 pages.  :nervous:

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Oh just skim it.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
what kind of psychology class is it?

if it's intro level chances are you don't need to do any studying.

Offline LHN91

2nd year Cognitive. I'm going to skim it anyways, and to pass the course I need something like a 20% on the exam. Multiple choice with 2 short essay questions, so even if I BS the entire thing I'll probably be fine.

Just a bit worrying to see the sheer amount of notes, when I was feeling like the major concepts could be covered in more like 10 pages XD

The next exam will be more worrying. Sensation & Perception, much closer to actual science, and she takes off marks for anything wrong you say in the short answer questions. Actually need to spend my time off between exams studying for that one.  :lol:

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
76 pages just sounds insane. How many words would that be anyway?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
nuke are you secretly an electrical engineer

i cant say i do any actual engineering. i know how to program a microcontroller and i know what diodes to use to build a button matrix and i know what value of resistor to use for pull dows/ups, and i know the proper way to read a potentiometer. i cant really say i do any actual maths to make the ideal circuit. if i have to do something math heavy, like a switch mode power converter, **** no, not going there (though im sure there is a calculator on the net somewhere). when it comes to digital logic you dont have to do much more than wire a bunch of chips together. these days the chips do pretty much everything for you.

The best safety gear for electronics fabrication is:
Sponge
Bottle of Water
Open Window
Fan
Fast reflexes

Anything else is optional. :D

saftey gear nuke uses:

(though i do keep a wet sponge around to clean my soldering iron tip)

If Nuke set his mind to it, he probably could take over the planet in the course of a week or two.

dont rush me, it takes time to make weapons grade uranium.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:02:15 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline LHN91

76 pages just sounds insane. How many words would that be anyway?

Word gives the word count as 22,756. Yeah.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!

You mean you haven't already started? No cache?
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

You mean you haven't already started? No cache?

shhh, im trying to avoid investigation.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline watsisname

HLPers on the Eastern half of the globe (Pacific, Asia, Eastern portions of Europe) get to see a total lunar eclipse tonight.  Partial phase begins in about 2 hours.
Preview & Map
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
I've come to realize that perhaps I have self-induced insomnia
"No"

i think i just quashed the last bug in my 'convert ****ty gamepad to wireless' project. spent several hours trying to figure out why the receiver wasn't picking up any data. what it came down to is the wireless module was loose in its socket and needed to have its pins bent so it fits in a little more snugly. once i figured that out i noticed my terminal window started displaying actual data packets instead of the random noise it was picking up earlier. the problem isnt totally solved though, but i figure all i got to do is plate the contacts with solder to make them fill that ***** up. worst case scenario i can just solder the ****ing transmiter directly to the mcu.

i had to use the dead bug mentality to get an mcu board small enough to fit in the game pad. to that end i ditched the board. i had a nice piece of strip board and i didnt want to cut it up. so i took a 28 pin mcu socket. soldered a crystal, caps, a pull up resistor for the reset pin, pulldowns for the matrix input. i ran out of 1/8th watt 10k resisters, so i had to use some ****ing huge 1 watt ones instead. i also put in a 6 pin icsp header. why the **** i never put these into my previous projects is beyond me. sure beats prying microcontrollers out of sockets and breaking pins in the process. i was also amazed at how much faster my $6 usb avr programmer is over that usb serial bridge. i wanted to put a low pass filter on the analog reference, but the datasheet said it would require an inductor that i didnt have. so i guess it will pick up noise from the regulator.

last part of the project i will do tomorrow, and that is to shorten the wires i use for testing and solder them to the socket directly instead of through the bread board ive been using for debugging. one more thing to do is to figure how much power it draws and build an appropriate supply. performance isnt bad, i stepped up the resolution from 8 to 10 bits, and i get a theoretical 100 refreshes a second, but with overhead its a little less than that. definately need to tune the debounce code, right now its a bit bouncey, probibly because the delay between samples is too short. i had it set up where the buttons required 3 refresh cycles to figure out the button state but that made it unresponsive but with very good debounce. now its responsive as **** with a high likelihood of bounce. somewhere in the middle is probibly desirable. if the chip has a spare timer i could use that to sample the buttons at a far more regular rate. tweaking the delay is probibly the best bet, but make it too high and you dont get enough updates a second out of it. 

I bet you could find yourself a decent job in a garage by bringing that over to your job interview.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
why would i want a job? it amuses me to waste my talent on useless activities while simultaneously giving the finger to those capitalist whores who i will one day impale and then nuke. it will be a joyous day indeed.

i sort of finished the game pad. sort of meaning that i had intended to have an internal battery with an external charge header. however the battery pack i was going to use stopped working and will no longer take a charge, and i have no other cells on hand small enough to fit into this thing. so i just put in the voltage regulator board i made and ran the wires to the outside, where a battery pack (home made fo course with batteries from a dead laptop and no safety hardware at all) is suspended beneath the unit by velcro. the unit seems to only be drawing 300ma, if i read the meter correctly so this monster pack should last awhile.

it works but i think i may need to optimize my software some more. i setup my arduino to parrot anything that came in on the serial line and re-transmit it. communication is one way, so it doesnt matter that im using the same uart to go to and from two different devices. problem here is im getting considerable lag between when i hit a button and when something moves on the computer. i think this is happening because somewhere data is sitting in a fifo buffer and the is piling up, filling up the buffer faster than it can be emptied. data rate is only 4800 bps so a 256 byte buffer will take 420 ms to cycle every bit of data out of it.

i dont think the problem is in the ppjoy proggie i wrote to capture the serial data and post it to the virtual driver, since i explicitly set its buffer to 18 bytes (enough to hold 2 whole frames). though playing with the buffer size seems to have odd results. like drooping it below 13 bytes never returns a valid frame, setting it at 13 fails half the time but is the most responsive (of course thats 33 refreshes a second instead of 66). you can set it to 15 and it will only be bad once every dozen or so frames. but 18 seems to be the best one because it is never wrong it seems.

i may also be filling up the buffer too fast at the mcu in the game pad and its sitting in the buffer. i may just need to waste more cycles, i could add a delay at the end of each frame transmission, but id hate to stick a delay in there and waste time when i can use the time for more constructive tasks, for example take more button samples for the debouncer or wait longer between samples. thats changing a couple defines, which is easier than opening and closing the case again to get to the programming header. the arduino in the middle could be to blame as well, but it doesnt do much at all. figure out how big the recieve buffer is and take steps to decrease it.

the final thing that could be the issue is the operating system is not processing the data with any priority at all. even with the proggie at highest priority (its only a few k and doesnt use too much time) its still laggy, and im not sure changing the process priority does anything for it. its likely the roundabout way im getting the data into the computer. its not going through its own driver and the send rate doesnt go up at all. ditch the arduino for a usb capable mcu (or run a software usb stack) and go through the hid class. for now im going to ditch the man in the middle and try to control something else, like my r/c receiver board. gotta re-write its firmware to accept the new frame format though, and thats a project in of itself.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Now that I mention Virginia Tech to anyone as being my top college choice, people panic and tell me I shouldn't go because I might "get hurt."

****ing media blowing things out of proportion.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
You've probably posted this before, but what are you looking to study there?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
My Naginata equipment arrived in the post the other day so I can finally start working on all the exercises and techniques from the Definitive Guide I picked up last month.  The gear is pretty cool, in addition to my standard Kendo Bogu you wear Sune(greaves) and the Kote(gauntlets) are split finger to allow more dexterity finally the Gi has short sleeves unlike the regular Kendo version.  I've been playing around with the weapon today and I'm fair certain it is going to be a massive amount of fun to add to Kendo class.  Jeff, my Kendo Sensei, and I will start working out with it on Wednesdays putting together a curriculum for eventually introducing it in the Kendo class on Tuesdays. 

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”