Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3212139 times)

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Re: W-H-I-Y-L It aint NEVER Over FOOL!!!!
You've probably posted this before, but what are you looking to study there?

Computer Software Engineering.  According to people there, they have a programming team (as in, an actual competitive team) which regularly gets attention from IBM as a medium for recruiting internships.

Unfortunately, their engineering program requires that you start as a general engineering major and transfer into their CSE program (which is a little silly IMO, but hey, whatever it takes).
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
The general engineering part is probably going to be like calculus and physics and stuff that all the technical majors have to take anyways.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Indeed.  The first two years of any engineering program are almost identical.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I took the ACT today, and I think I utterly failed at the derivatives and second-semester Algebra 2 stuff.  I owned the statistics portions, however.

College will be fun.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
Won't your scores come out a little too late if you just took it? Then again it completely depends on your when your registration deadline is...
Can you take CLEP to avoid some classes?

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
I'm reading Discover magazine and I just read an article about neutrinos and how they are supposedly faster than light. If scientists really confirm they are faster-than-light then that would be a great assistant to SETI.

I love that idea.  :P
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
I'm reading Discover magazine and I just read an article about neutrinos and how they are supposedly faster than light. If scientists really confirm they are faster-than-light then that would be a great assistant to SETI.

I love that idea.  :P

Isn't the more popular theory that they actually travel through another "Smaller" dimention relative to ours, giving the illusion of ftl travel?
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
The more popular theory is that we don't really know what to make of those CERN results left, and that multiple repeat tests are required before we go any further. :p

There is one thing that bugs me with those FTL neutrinos.

When an object is 8 lightyears away, we see it in the state it was 8 years ago.
When Nuke travels 8 lightyears from that star to us (having constructed his own rocket), we see him as how he was 8 years ago.
But if he would travel faster then light, then what kind of nuke would we see then? A nuke that got younger during his journey?

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

When Nuke travels 8 lightyears from that star to us (having constructed his own rocket), we see him as how he was 8 years ago.
But if he would travel faster then light, then what kind of nuke would we see then? A nuke that got younger during his journey?

There is a good novel series that deals with these kind of issues - "Singularity Sky" and "Iron Sunrise" by Charles Stross
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

You would see a Nuke in the state he was when he visited the star, which means 8 years ago.  Just because he moved faster than light doesn't mean that the light got to us any faster form the star.  If he travels faster than light, we would see him as however long it subjectively took him to get to the star, plus the eight years it took the light from the star to reach us.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if i constructed my own rocket you can rest assured it will be hevily armed, bristling with gatling guns, nukes, and impaled aliens from my conquest :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I suppose I should ask "impaled how" but that seems...yeah.

Also I just noticed Steam dropped the entire Geneforge series for 19.99 after I spent my Christmas money. Dammit, Value!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!

It depends, to a degree, on how much faster than light he was travelling. Faster than light still doesn't mean instantaneous, so you'd still see him travelling, but he'd... sort of stretch. If Nuke managed to travel at almost exactly C (add +.00001km/h or some similarly negligible difference so you can technically call it FTL, but only just barely, as far as the F is concernet) and you had a telescope that was capable of resolving across an eight light-year distance, what you'd see is, essentially, a spaceship working its way up to speed in the distant system, accelerating to C, and then instantly appearing right near you, where, since Nuke's the one piloting your hypothetical ship, it proceeds to bombard you with C-Sabot munitions, wiping out your whole planet. Alternatively, if someone else was piloting, you'd see it accelerate out of its starting star system, and blur into an almost invisible streak (difficult to see due to doppler shifting of emissions) which matches the streak that was left behind the streak the ship left when it started decellerating a reasonable distance, depending on propulsion mechanisms, outside your current star system, and hopefully misaligned from the plane of the ecliptic, in order to minimize potential... incidents.

Ninja'd:
if i constructed my own rocket you can rest assured it will be hevily armed, bristling with gatling guns, nukes, and impaled aliens from my conquest :D

Please, Nuke, you've got a supra-luminal drive. At those kinds of relative velocities, you don't need to bother with nukes, since you can get more damage with a simple solid projectile - a dinner plate would hit with a force measured in the kilotonne to megatonne range, depending on your china pattern - gatling guns seem even more outclassed as far as external mounts are concerned, and any aliens you've encountered in a hostile fashion should be ... I want to use the word 'vaporized,' but there wouldn't be anything left to precipitate into a vapor, much less impale on your hull.

(edit to show my work: F=M*A . M, mass of the projectile (depending on type of dinnerware, whether you're just throwing the plate or tossing in a full tablesetting, etc.) ~ 1 to 10 kgs. A, acceleration assuming that the plate comes to a complete stop from luminal speed and disregarding various relativistic effects for the sake of efficiency of calculation, will be about 2.9*10^8 meters/second. Anything where you're multiplying by ten-to-the-eighth is going to be really big.)

Also, I suggest the Joshster read Hawking's 'Universe in a nutshell.' It's got good comprehensible explanations for what you'd see, according to the best theories available pre-current-cern-thingey, which are still the only theories we (by we I mean humanity, not some secret clique of scientists that Dr. Hawking and I are in. I don't think our secret organization has formalized a secret position on this yet. I'll check with Dawkins and get back to you.) have as far as macroscopic objects are concerned.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:44:54 am by LordMelvin »
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
Oh HLP
The place where Global Dominations are started
"No"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Please, Nuke, you've got a supra-luminal drive. At those kinds of relative velocities, you don't need to bother with nukes, since you can get more damage with a simple solid projectile - a dinner plate would hit with a force measured in the kilotonne to megatonne range, depending on your china pattern - gatling guns seem even more outclassed as far as external mounts are concerned, and any aliens you've encountered in a hostile fashion should be ... I want to use the word 'vaporized,' but there wouldn't be anything left to precipitate into a vapor, much less impale on your hull.

(edit to show my work: F=M*A . M, mass of the projectile (depending on type of dinnerware, whether you're just throwing the plate or tossing in a full tablesetting, etc.) ~ 1 to 10 kgs. A, acceleration assuming that the plate comes to a complete stop from luminal speed and disregarding various relativistic effects for the sake of efficiency of calculation, will be about 2.9*10^8 meters/second. Anything where you're multiplying by ten-to-the-eighth is going to be really big.)

Also, I suggest the Joshster read Hawking's 'Universe in a nutshell.' It's got good comprehensible explanations for what you'd see, according to the best theories available pre-current-cern-thingey, which are still the only theories we (by we I mean humanity, not some secret clique of scientists that Dr. Hawking and I are in. I don't think our secret organization has formalized a secret position on this yet. I'll check with Dawkins and get back to you.) have as far as macroscopic objects are concerned.

i admit that ke weapons are pretty badass but i find that they dont make my geiger counter make that awesome clickey noise. the gatling guns are just for point defense.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance

i admit that ke weapons are pretty badass but i find that they dont make my geiger counter make that awesome clickey noise. the gatling guns are just for point defense.

lawlz.

Nuke, just find a neutron star. That's all you'll ever need.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:56:37 am by FlamingCobra »

Offline Aardwolf

Burned some food showing my dad the Thunderbolt from Quake. Now the house is full of smoke.

Also, my laptop went to sleep while Quake was in fullscreen mode, and now everything but the cursor is dimmed  :sigh:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
just shaved another 100ms of lag off of my wireless gamepad conversion. it still has bouts of lag, for example when i get a swath of checksum fails. it actually only took the realization that it takes 15 ms to transmit a frame, and the gamepad was trying to transmit a continuous stream of bits, so buffers all the way down were overflowing. i just gave the debounce code an additional 17 ms to work, it can now collect an extra sample and spends a bit more time between them. i lose a small fraction of my theoretical throughput, but its worth it if the thing doesn't lag like a mother****er. now to figure out why im getting so many bad frames.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
had a derp moment when i connected my unprotected lithium battery pack to my unprotected voltage regulator, backwards of course. thats another part for the trash can. to think this could have been avoided by a 2 cent rectifier diode than i ripped out of a stereo i found in the dumpster. new regulator, and a diode and im back in buisness.

Nuke's Scripting SVN