Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3061799 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over 1000!!!!! (pages)
Never been drunk, but I'm sure the sleep deprivation I've felt before has been close.

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
I've been tired to feel heavy, but I'm two years illegal for a drink. :p
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i found a half burned out 7 segment display in my junk box and im testing it for power consumption, and brightness at various duty cycles. also learning about the shift register im using. its a 74hc595. it has a bunch of features that i dont really need (like output latches, 3 state outputs), but this particular chip is dirt cheap on ebay (5 for $0.99 and free shipping to boot), and so i have several of them. it seems most of the features can be switched off though, so i can keep my interface pincount somewhat low. my project will use a lot of these and i need to verify that my pin count is n+2 (where n is the number of chips, and +2 are shared control pins, driving an entire bank), more pins will require a bigger mcu and im trying to avoid having to buy an $8 mcu just for the extra pins, and i really dont want to have to source more parts if i can use my current inventory.

anyway i hooked the still working pins of the 7 segment display (i burned out a couple segments testing it, and just bypassed those with similar rated red leds), found a large number of 120 ohm resistors to keep the segments from burning out, shift register, and some pullup/down resistors for the unused pins to keep the chip happy. i hooked the whole thing up to my arduino for now, and will now hack together some code for testing. 

has anyone else ever been so tired you felt almost exactly as though you were drunk? 

somone once told me that sleep deprivation causes hallucinations, 3 days later i was tripping balls. you get to a point of delirum long before it degenerates into outright schizophrenia though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:28:40 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
Another FANTASTIC day at the restaurant
Never knew Redbull, Rootbeer, Ice Tea and Pepsi could make such a great drink
"No"

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Another FANTASTIC day at the restaurant
Never knew Redbull, Rootbeer, Ice Tea and Pepsi could make such a great drink

That does sound pretty badass - Yay for mixing soft drinks! (My only drink-related joy at parties since I'm virtually teetotal)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
welp i got my single digit 7 segment display working on this shift register (except for the segment that burned out and the one that seemed to burn out while i was testing it, i bypassed these connections with red leds and those work fine). looks like i can do n+2 with this particular ic. so with only 10 pins i can drive all 8 shift registers. i could probibly use even fewer pins if i cascade the registers. im also rather impressed with the fact that even with a 10% duty cycle the display is still quite bright, which means i can really reduce current draw. the circuit also runs cooler now, it was a small heater before when i was doing a 1/4 cycle.  giving this information im just going to power the displays in 2 banks, so 2 transistors will switch these on and off and provide the necessary current.  this ads another 2 pins to the 10 from before. with cascading i can get it down to 5 pins.

still another pickle ive run into is the number of current limiting resistors i will need. 32 to be precise. ive seen resistor bars for bus pullups/downs and other stuff like this, which have a common ground/vcc pin and multiple resistor pins. i will need to order some of those. while i have a large number of 120 ohm resistors i doubt i have 32 of them, and if i did wouldn't squander them all on one project. after some tweaks in eagle cad im also starting to not like my chip count. i might go back to the one shift register for all 8 displays, and use that 3-8 decoder and 8 transistors, and also only 8 resistors. after all the pins saved on the output section of the circuit, thanks to cascading will allow it. and the display test shows that a 7 segment display is reasonally bright with duty cycles around 1/8th. update the shift registers fast enough and you probibly wont be able to tell than only one display is on at any given time. so i can drop 2 ics. im still not happy with my input though. it might be better to just use 4 piso shift registers instead of 1 piso and 4 buffers, i can dump another chip that way, and cascade them to reduce the pin usage. i would have to disable the outputs while i scan the inputs. this is easy to do. but i would rather not disturb the outputs unless im writing new data, end even then its a pretty quick switch.

you can probibly tell that im designing this thing as i post about it. so yea, thats it for now. the **** ive learned in the past 4 hours have really simplified my project. i might even get away with using the 2313 i had intended to use with the keypad, but thats a fairly cheap mcu. it also has 2 uarts iirc, so it would give my project an extra com port for keypad, and for the later project, sd reader, for transferring files over the parallel buses and into what ever piece of chip i need them in.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
has anyone else ever been so tired you felt almost exactly as though you were drunk?

Yup, was like it today around about 10:00 due to just not being able to fall asleep last night. On the upside, Caboose makes more sense if you watch RvB when in a similar state.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline watsisname

somone once told me that sleep deprivation causes hallucinations, 3 days later i was tripping balls. you get to a point of delirum long before it degenerates into outright schizophrenia though.

Most I've done is 3 days (not even on any drugs, aside caffeine and video games!).  And yeah, the mind just goes totally loopy before you really hallucinate anything.

24 hours:  Eyes hurt a bit.
36 hours:  Over the first day hump, this isn't so bad!
48 hours:  Did that shadow just move?
72 hours:  MOUNTAIN DEW IS THE BEST SODA EVER MAAADE

Somewhere on the third day I was inside a cartoon, stared into my cereal for 45 minutes and just randomly started laughing maniacally.  At that point I decided I should probably pass out. :V
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Oh yes... last semester had me awake for periods of over 24 hours as well. I recall driving home when I could, seeing "sparks" or specs advance across my vision. I'm very thankful I got home safely.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline watsisname

Oh yes... last semester had me awake for periods of over 24 hours as well. I recall driving home when I could, seeing "sparks" or specs advance across my vision. I'm very thankful I got home safely.

Those sparks you saw is mindcrab semen.

Careful, it is explosive.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
Most I've ever been awake for was 52 hours. If I was doing something that required moving I'd have been able to go longer but I was just debugging a project for my data structures + algorithms class. I'd doze off in the time that it would take to type `fg #' and look for the line of the program that the bug was on, so I gave up. Granted, I hadn't had any caffeine from about hour 40 on so that may have had something to do with it too.

I'd have thought this experience would make just one all-nighter seem easy but honestly I haven't been able to do one since. I can get to 7:00am all right but by then I start to get so uncomfortable that I need to take a nap or something.

Offline watsisname

I desire to go see a superviolent martial arts movie, so I'mma go see this.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I desire to go see a superviolent martial arts movie, so I'mma go see this.

I highly recommend Enter The Dragon for this purpose.

Granted, I watched it for the first time in my life after having watched twelve hours of bad 1970s-1980s martial arts movies, but my god. I can see why people say it's arguably the best martial arts movie ever made.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline watsisname

Just got back from Raid and what can I say?  FrikkinBRUTAL.  As expected the script isn't anything special, but holy **** the action made up for it.

I'll see if I can grab Enter The Dragon somewhere, sounds like a good one indeed, and I'm surprised I hadn't gotten around to seeing already.

Other martial arts / action film's I've greatly enjoyed lately are Chocolate, which is basically the perfectly-executed equivalent of RIVER TAM BEATS UP EVERYONE, and 13 Assassins which is insane beyond description.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Hungarian girl I've been seeing and I just formally announced to the world that we're in a relationship - Not much point hiding it with the photos her friends have been taking on the sly to show the world that she'd finally got a boyfriend >.<
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
I'm still keeping my relationship with the Hobart machine on the downlow. We've hit a rough patch, but I'm hoping her and I will get through it
Just keeps plugging while I'm giving her a water change man, ****ing annoying
"No"

Performed some research for an Access Control class on botnets.

Wow, those things can be scary...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Hungarian girl I've been seeing and I just formally announced to the world that we're in a relationship - Not much point hiding it with the photos her friends have been taking on the sly to show the world that she'd finally got a boyfriend >.<
Hope it goes well for you mate!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
yay! i made some progress on my hex dohickey. i found enough mosfets in my junk box to drive the displays. these are needed because the 3-8 line decoder can only supply 30ma, where the 7 segment display can eat up to 300 ma. the mosfets i have can handle about 400ma, so a good margin of error. the line decoder turns 8 pins into 4 pins (or 3 pins if i want to keep one on at any given time, but i want to be able to turn them all off so i can tweak the duty cycle, to change brightness or reduce power consumption).

all my shift registers are now cascaded. in two banks, one for input using 4 74hc165 piso shift registers. these are simple and dont come with any latches. but input data need not be sampled quickly (though i may make it possible to record whats going on with the bus to an sd card). usually these will only need to be sampled relatively infrequently (on the order of ms), so as to update the display. though i could probibly do a high speed capture mode in software.

the other for outputs, 5 74hc595 sipo shift registers (with output latches), 4 for each port and one for the displays. for the 4 ports the output latches come in handy. when you load the shift register one bit at a time, these registers are invisible to the outside pins, they have their own flipflops (memory), so when i cycle one of the clocks, it copies the shift register to this memory, which means you can update all the pins simultaneously instead of one at a time instead of one at a time. this chip also has an output enable pin to put the outputs into a high impedance state, effectively disconnecting them. this provides a mechanism for switching the port from input to output mode. of course the output ports can be read while outputting data, so that data may be verified (yay another feature to write code for!). this will help debug any noise i may have on any bus i am analyzing.

these features aren't really used for the chip used to update the 7 segment displays. i simply tie the output enable to ground (its active low) so outpit is always on, and the latch enable shares a toggle with the other 4 chips and i can just update them all with one line. the outputs of this chip is connected to all the displays in parallel. the common annodes are connected to the source pin of a set of 8 n-channel mosfets, one for each display, and the drain pin is connected to my 5v line. and the gates are each hooked to a pin in the 3-8 line decoder. the value on the 3 input lines (a binary number from 0-7) determines which of the 8 transistors is switched on (and there is a 4th pin to turn them all off), and thus which display is getting power, and the data output on the shift register tells it what to display.

the mcu will spend most of its time shifting redundant data into and out of shift registers, and a little bit of time incrementing the value for the line decoder. i really dont need a lot of cpu power or memory for this task, so i want to use the cheapest and least powerful chip possible. not to say i dont want any other features. i was thinking about alternate functions for the thing. debugging busses is one thing but i can use it for general output tasks. i can output binary, decimal and hex data. i also worked out a way to display the english alphabet. though with some substitutions, as some characters cant be displayed on a 7 segment display, like 'k' or 'x' (youd need an alphanumeric display for that), so i use different symbols to represent those letters. i cant do caps and lowercase, so it will be a jumble of whatever will work. also a small set of punctuation characters and brackets and the like. it would need to be a scrolling marquee type display to display more than a couple words.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Most I've done is 3 days (not even on any drugs, aside caffeine and video games!).  And yeah, the mind just goes totally loopy before you really hallucinate anything.

24 hours:  Eyes hurt a bit.
36 hours:  Over the first day hump, this isn't so bad!
48 hours:  Did that shadow just move?
72 hours:  MOUNTAIN DEW IS THE BEST SODA EVER MAAADE

Somewhere on the third day I was inside a cartoon, stared into my cereal for 45 minutes and just randomly started laughing maniacally.  At that point I decided I should probably pass out. :V

my most recent run was about a day and a half. thats on top of the long day i had before i got on. i was on the long ferry ride from juneau through sitka and to petersburg, onboard the malispina iirc. i got on sometime in the afternoon, after spending the day working and smoking dope. i tried sleeping but the vibration from the ships engines kept me awake. i did some programming, played games, and spent the entire night in the bar sipping on alaskan beer (we actually have some of the best beer in the us, i think, i used to live across the creek from the brewery). when the bar closed i sat out on deck for an hour, it was in the fall i think (there were no tourists, only locals), so it was cold and dark, it started to rain so i went back in. in the morning i went and got breakfast in the galley, i played more games and went back for lunch, figuring that i would fall asleep before dinner. i watched a movie, but i forget which one. i wanted to go to the bar again but i spent all my cash on food. when i got home it was 3 am, and i had to walk a couple miles to my house, after about 52 hours of sleep deprivation. on the way home the asphalt shimmered in the darkness. the only noise were the wheels on my duffelbag, i kept seeing things out the corner of my eye and they would disapear if i looked at them. not quite tripping balls but damn close. i came in, dropped my bag said hi to the cats plopped down in my bed, i think i slept lke 16 hours after that.

Nuke's Scripting SVN