Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3061800 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over 1000!!!!! (pages)
I'd curse goober, but at this point I think the classics policy is obviously self-defeating; waiting a few months after it's over to move the thread means nobody will remember the thread, and nothing will get moved.

Surely, if it's really a classic, it'll get remembered over that period?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Surely, if it's really a classic, it'll get remembered over that period?

As I said, we've only added one thing to classics since it was created; surely the last two years have contributed something of value to the forums?

EDIT: On checking, it appears three things have been added, but one was considerably older than that. It's been around for years. This is not in the least representative of what things of major interest have happened in that time, like the return of Derek Smart.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:33:08 am by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
Southern Comfort
Extensive testing is currently underway

No idea how much I've drank, but let's see... I've mixed it with Grand Marnier, had it on it's own, put it in tea, put it in Ginger Ale, put it in Ginger Ale with the last drags of scotch...

What else can I do? Oh hey rootbeer
Man this is fun, and educational!

EDIT: That was interesting
Also, who would say doing a Let's Play HLP Worms Armageddon would be a good idea?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:26:38 am by deathfun »
"No"

Took the SATs on Saturday. By far one of the easiest tests I've taken.  :P I got to use 'Sesquipedalian loquaciousness' on the essay portion, and I knew what 'laconic' meant due to TV Tropes. The hardest part was when I had to copy down the 'I did not cheat' paragraph in cursive; I was home schooled for the part of 3rd grade when I was supposed to learn that.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The amount of people who cannot write in cursive astounds me - interestingly, my print writing is terrible. :p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
The amount of people who cannot write in cursive astounds me - interestingly, my print writing is terrible. :p
Seriously.  The moment I learned cursive in second grade, I stopped printing forever.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
cursive is an excuse to be totally incomprehensible, print fo lyfe

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
pfft noobs I only type

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Steam

Not necessarily, some people I know can't write anything readable in print OR cursive.

Cursive > Print for the sole fact that you can flow directly from one letter to the next without lifting your pen, pencil, etc.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm lucky if I remember how to sign my name in cursive; there was never any call to actually use it aside from second and third grade classes which taught it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline z64555

• Steam
Well, it turns out research shows that notes taken by hand has a higher probability of being remembered than typed notes.

And no, lecture notes are not "finished" material. You have to go back through them later (preferabbly the same day as the lecture) so that you can sort through the mess and compile something readable. This also increases the chance of remembering/understanding, because your rewording the lecture into something you really understand.
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well, it turns out research shows that notes taken by hand has a higher probability of being remembered than typed notes.

And no, lecture notes are not "finished" material. You have to go back through them later (preferabbly the same day as the lecture) so that you can sort through the mess and compile something readable. This also increases the chance of remembering/understanding, because your rewording the lecture into something you really understand.

This is probably an example of recall specific modality as well as one of processing/encoding fluency. Most tests are taken by hand, so you get mode specific recall on notes transcribed by hand. (Some of it is also probably that you spend more time on each word and sentence while handwriting, so you get a processing fluency effect.)

I always did handwritten notes because I thought they helped me a lot more on tests.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
There are people under age 50 who actually still write in cursive?  I know it's still taught in school, but I always chalked that up to the requirement to fill a certain portion of early education with useless archaic **** you'll never need in the real world and thereby avoiding teaching useful things, like how to do your personal banking, balance a budget, fix things around the house, etc.

Most people's printing is incomprehensible enough.  I suspect cursive was invented solely so no one can actually figure out what their prescription says.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline z64555

• Steam
There are people under age 50 who actually still write in cursive?  I know it's still taught in school, but I always chalked that up to the requirement to fill a certain portion of early education with useless archaic **** you'll never need in the real world and thereby avoiding teaching useful things, like how to do your personal banking, balance a budget, fix things around the house, etc.

Most people's printing is incomprehensible enough.  I suspect cursive was invented solely so no one can actually figure out what their prescription says.

Try writing your reply in both print and in cursive. Time how long it takes you for both styles. :)
chief1983

------------

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I went to Catholic grade school mang, my cursive rocks.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Try writing your reply in both print and in cursive, and then realize how little time it saves you.

Offline z64555

• Steam
Ah, like it matters anyway. Lol.
chief1983

------------

When I have to write, I use cursive.
When I have to be read, I use print.
When I have to write fast, I use cursive.

To be honest, I'm affraid that learning to write print fast is going to deteriorate its quality over time, thus losing the only advantage it gives me over cursive. That and I don't have that many occasions when I have to write stuff that needs to be read by someone else afterwards.
In any case, women seem to have an easier time reading me than men (in cursive), not sure why ...

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
it would take me FAR longer to write something in cursive due to making sure it's even the least bit readable, and stopping to remember how to do some of the letters.  i didn't finish that paragraph in the time allotted when i took my SAT.  i had to go back when i finished other sections early.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I use cursive unless i am filling out a form or am making a rough note to myself, in the case of the latter its a hybrid of cursive and standalone letters
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art