Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3061783 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over 1000!!!!! (pages)
I've come to the conclusion that most Albertan drivers are just generally unskilled, and snow exacerbates the problem.  People from here (again, I grew up in the mountains) learned to drive on flat, straight roads with wide shoulders that are salted and sanded to hell in the winter.  Therefore, the second any one of those conditions change they all panic or worse, don't change their driving habits at all.

I am constantly amazed at all the cars I see in the ditch (4 this morning alone).  If the road is glare ice - SLOW THE **** DOWN.  DO NOT STAMP YOUR BRAKES.  DO NOT STAMP THE ACCELERATOR.  USE FINESSE.  STEER INTO THE SKID.  BRAKE IN STRAIGHT LINES.  USE THRESHOLD BRAKING.  I've had advanced driver training for work but this **** is common sense.

I want to put an ad in the paper:  "Dear Albertan pickup truck and SUV owners.  Sir Isaac Newton does not care if you have 4-wheel-drive.  Objects in motion tend to stay in motion, particularly on ice.  That 4x4 does ****-all for your ability to brake, so now your better acceleration and grip on the road just ensures you're moving that much faster when your vehicle inevitably leaves it because you drive like an idiot."
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
That's why you need a pickup with Standard Transmission.  The 4WD gets you in motion and downshifting gets a nice controlled deceleration. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline LHN91

Heck, I've had almost the best luck with winter driving with my smallest cars. Slides a bit easier, but easier to get back in line. Less inertia. Had a Neon and an old 5 speed Saturn, best winter cars I've driven. Automatics aren't as nice as standards, but with some finesse you can make an automatic do similar kinds of downshifting.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
In the words of Game of Thrones: Winter is coming
Beware the idiots on the road. They've amassed ten fold

Had that date with the server gal. Went quite well (albeit short, but what are you going to do? She's really damned busy with her studies), had dinner at a nice Thai Restaurant. First time I've actually physically ate at a Thai restaurant, and that Red Curry chicken was simply delicious

We just talked for a couple hours, ate, walked around the pier for a bit, said our farewells in the normal intimate fashion

Was quite pleasant, though I am terrible at kissing
"No"

Offline watsisname

Passing out.  I hope I become a flying goat again, that was awesome.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

I just watched a few of the Epic Rap Battles of History.  How did I not know about them before? :lol:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Luis Dias

Was quite pleasant, though I am terrible at kissing

That's all about practice. You'll get it eventually.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Steam
Achievement Unlocked!  Hacker's Axe

Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Just turned in my degree eligibility form, which is required to graduate. :D

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
And power is finally back! No more freezing my ass off at night...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
after ****ing around with riscos on my raspberry pi, ive come to the conclusion that i like it. it has all the badassness of an early windowed oses like the ones on late 80s macs, which dispite being easy to use takes up incredibly little space and memory. the os is also 4x faster than wheezy. things you click on pop up immediately as opposed to in a couple seconds. its really badass.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline watsisname

Good to hear, Pred.  11 days without power, goddamn. :/
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just turned in my degree eligibility form, which is required to graduate. :D
So you're hopefully graduating soon? Nice work. :)

On another note, going back to Dimensonal Eclipse and trying to figure out the physics again is not good for your sanity when you go into a mission against six enemies...

Offline deathfun

Good to hear, Pred.  11 days without power, goddamn. :/

No kidding. I'd of gone insane
Jack Nicholson insane

Finally got around to starting the 2004 BSG series. I'm thoroughly enjoying it
Of course I watched the late 70's and the 1980's ones first

"No"

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Holy ****, what? BSG came out in '04? Where has my childhood gone?  :nervous:

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

You poor frimp, I can't believe you suffered through that load of feldergarb!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Sad and lonely.   :(

Hopefully Skyfall later will cheer me up.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline LHN91

Passed out in my parent's living room last night. So they took me down to the hospital, sat there for a few hours, and even though they are fairly certain it was just a combination of stress and starting with a stomach bug, they still have to report it to the Ministry of Transportation that I lost conciousness, and in all likelihood they will suspend my license until I can prove that it's not a recurring thing.

Now the somewhat good news is that it (according to the doctor) takes 4-6 weeks for the MTO to process the form and issue the suspension, so I can still legally drive for now and as long as I get my ass moving on seeing the Cardiologist I can get the clean bill of health before they issue the suspension and it won't be suspended as they will already have the documentation saying I'm fine before they issue it. Still, this is a royal pain as I'm going into the last month or so of my degree and can't afford to not have my vehicle to get around to look for jobs and to get to class and work on time.

Offline deathfun

Holy ****, what? BSG came out in '04? Where has my childhood gone?  :nervous:

One* of the BSG's came out in '04

You poor frimp, I can't believe you suffered through that load of feldergarb!

Honestly, it was terrible, but so terrible and cheesy that it gave some watchableness to it.
And when you've got nothing else to do...
"No"

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
after ****ing around with riscos on my raspberry pi, ive come to the conclusion that i like it. it has all the badassness of an early windowed oses like the ones on late 80s macs, which dispite being easy to use takes up incredibly little space and memory. the os is also 4x faster than wheezy. things you click on pop up immediately as opposed to in a couple seconds. its really badass.

That's quite cool. The oldest Mac OS I've ever used is OS7. Actually, It's the one I've got loaded up on SheepShaver on my computer. I'd like to say it's like wasting away hours like I did as a kid, but unfortunately many of the old programs just don't run like they ought to. It's quite a sad day when you can't get Hornet 2.0 or X-Wing to run as it should.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke