Author Topic: How to monkey yourself in ten easy posts  (Read 37543 times)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
How to monkey yourself in ten easy posts
Lulz.

I don't find what I said funny :wtf:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Monkeying people for being idiots, ban them for doing directly bad things.

You can't blame someone for being an idiot, you can only blame them for acting it.

Lol. I didn't even mean it that way XD
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI

Wasn't directed at you. If I'm talking to you, you'll know it, because it will sound like God is adressing you.

Having history with the monkey system and its abuse with how it was used on me, I find the whole concept lulzy.

Wasn't directed at you. If I'm talking to you, you'll know it, because it will sound like God is adressing you.
I don't know about you, but that sentance didn't sound like God was talking to me. It sounded more like an idiot that...

lulzy.
...fails English.

:P
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
I don't know about you, but that sentance didn't sound like God was talking to me. It sounded more like an idiot that...

lulzy.
...fails English.

:P

Uh oh Admin Team. He insulted me. Now whatchoo gonna do? Do I spam the report to moderator button? How far does that take me? Do you do something about it? Do you lock the thread? Do you monkey him? Do you do nothing and let it slide, therein enforcing no rules? Do you make a "You had it coming" or similar remark? Is it better for me to just insult him if you don't take action? Where does it end?

Here's the first public case. How do we go about solving it? Case study of a person I've baited #1: How do you handle it?

Lulz.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:54:05 pm by BlackDove »

I think it ends where I put the tongue smiley face, therefore implying that I was joking :doubt:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
No, no. Smiley faces don't make your insults okay.

I am offended.

Sure, I baited you into it, but we needed a test subject to experiment on, because in normal circumstances, there will be a lot of baiting going around, and then some sap is going to make the plunge and start with the idiot calling and the spelling and laungage insults. The people who bait sometimes even don't know they're baiting others until it becomes apparent when it escalates into one person putting the other down. Sure I did it here intentionally, but nothing I've done really is objectionable.

So case in point, we get to see how it goes down for realz. Do they sanction you for your lapse in judgment? Do they let you slide like a penguin?

Both choices carry consequences. If they sanction you, maybe they're too harsh. If they don't sanction you, then the rules don't matter, and we can all call eachother idiots and insult eachother's spelling with smiley faces until kingdom come.

What is it? That's always been the question, and all of the administrators up to now have evaded it as best possible because they didn't want to deal with it.

So. Let's see if Justice really exists somewhere around here. Or if these threads are just pointless bull****.

So it's either:

a)I'm ****ed.
b)The Admins are ****ed.
c)Nobody gives a **** and we move on.

I'd like to see how this turns out ;7
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
You do that, I'm off to bed.

Peace out.

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
I understand it fine. Monkeying people for being idiots, ban them for doing directly bad things.
If everyone who was an idiot was monkeyed, we'd have a much higher collective IQ, but the tension would be very high (if it wasn't high enough already...).  If everyone who was an asshole was banned, we'd have a much lower collective IQ (if it wasn't low enough already...), but there wouldn't be much tension.

Here's the kicker, though.  Without the idiots, the assholes wouldn't be able to laugh their asses off.  And without the assholes, the idiots would never learn.  It's a catch-22.  A delicate balance between stupidity and hostility.  And if you get rid of them both, there would be nothing left, as the calm geniuses have left the forum because nobody wants to be a regular in a forum that has a new thread once every couple weeks.

Though if I could make one suggestion, it would be to punish those who are morons just as harshly as those who are punished for being total dicks.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
[This is a test of the Smiley theory, do not be alarmed...]

"Sorry I nuked your country..."  ;7

[This was only a test, go back to what you were doing...]

Ok while it might take some of the edge off, I don't think the [smiley defense] will stand in the court of HLP...

Where's Thunder with the Dead Frozen Goat of Justice? (was it retired?)

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Uh oh Admin Team. He insulted me. Now whatchoo gonna do? Do I spam the report to moderator button? How far does that take me? Do you do something about it? Do you lock the thread? Do you monkey him? Do you do nothing and let it slide, therein enforcing no rules? Do you make a "You had it coming" or similar remark?

It's based on what the admins consider unreasonably offensive.

If someone is thin skinned enough to take offence as things that most people would ignore or laugh at that's their problem. You do not have an absolute right not to be offended. Monkeying is called for if someone is being offensive in such a way as to cause disruption to the forum.

Given that you're actually the bigger disruption to the thread it's not Haloboy who's facing the Monkeying.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Riiiiiiight, it's the distruption of the thread that's the problem.

So what you're saying is that it doesn't matter that he tried to insult me, it's my fault for "distrupting" (what the **** is that anyway?) the thread and I should be sanctioned regardless of what the point is?

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Oh be reasonable... :p

What's the logic of trying to prove the policy is not "politically correct" while your mocking the Admins? That isn't a wise method of persuasion to get your point across. 

It makes you unable to have a discussion without having bashing and flaming, which is what this policy is meant to punish.  In the end, posting here is a privilege and what they say goes.  I'm sure they'll use careful judgment as to how severe to punish, but really they don't owe us anything.
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
I am as reasonable as it gets. I'm not mocking anyone either, and I don't give a **** about the policy one way or the other.

What I do care about is what I can expect when the **** hits the fan (like in the example above). I'd like to know which direction the wind blows so I can act accordingly.

If all that's going to happen is some evasive bull**** that karajorma tried to pull here, and that's the official stance, then we're all set. There is no interest in justice or the common good. Just some overt masturbation that keeps the retarded in line and the people with access to the staff forum with as little work as possible.

This is basically saying that if I insult you, it's fine if nobody *****es about it. Given a real case other then this thread in which you did make a big deal out of it, I'm sure a fella like you would be able to brush it off and be able to laugh at yourself to be able to move on with the topic of the thread without disrupting it.

If it is a bad comment, such as racism, or something that would be largly offensive (again that the admins deem reasonably offensive, due to common sense), then action would be taken. But if all I do is simply insult you and we laugh about it and it's over with in a few posts, then there shouldn't be a problem.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
This is fun. In order to further test the justice system, I must say:

Blackdove and haloboy, you're idiots.

:nervous:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 11:54:01 am by redsniper »
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Alright. Now this is just getting immature :doubt:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.