Author Topic: Last Hope FS2 Temporal Mechanics Campaign Please Help!  (Read 61689 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Last Hope FS2 Temporal Mechanics Campaign Please Help!
You know, zip files aren't encrypted when they're password-protected.  It merely denies access based on the keyword.  In short, you shouldn't have to actually have to crack the password to pull data from the file.  In fact, disk recovery software might let you start pulling the data.

Also, 10 to 1 the password is related to the campaign - in short, a brute-force attempt is overkill because the string will not be a properly constructed password.

I'll take a shot at it.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Well I have 4 computers working on it.  Nothing so far.  I did try a few random passwords too but it would help to know something about the person to improve guessing chances.  As far as the 4 computers go I have one trying every ASCII value up to 5 characters, one trying all 6 letter lower case words and number combinations, one doing all 7 letter upper and lower case letter and number combos, and one doing all 8 letter ones.  Estimates are in years on anything over 6 characters so it doesn't look good for brute force.  Still going to let it run just in case. 

Stupid question but has anyone tried to track down the guy who password protected them in the first place?

Did a quick Google and came up with ICQ 39940258.  Who know maybe it's still valid.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 10:16:06 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
are the old temporal mechanics forums backed up somewhere?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Falcon

Ouch, I don't have access to any brute force software. I was able to find the old TM website on archive.org as well as an old TM demo.

http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.aspx?3dactionplanet%2ffreespace%2fTMDemo.zip
http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/tm/
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.3dap.com/hlp/tm/

Just by reading the website, it sounded like an awesome mod. Hope you get the password.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Following up on the ICQ I found this:  http://people.icq.com/people/full_details_show.php?uin=39940258

Looks like we are looking for one Andrew Bryant aka Optimus (think I'll try that as a PW).
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
did you try: Temporal ? just kidding
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Here is the demo, rehosted on filefront.  I gave it a skybox and the Polaris LS background so it wouldn't look so horrible.

Download.

There is an RTF in there with this contact info:

Andrew 'GriffonUK' Bryant, William 'Chucker' Vasser and
Chris 'Kellan' Reagan

Report errors to either
[email protected] or [email protected]

Alternatively, contact me on ICQ# 39940258

If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Hey there !

I' m new on the forum, but not at all on FS2 FS2Open. I still have the game box somewhere on a shelf, and play it once a year :)

I may help you finding the password, dedicating a core of my q9450 @3.5 GHz (if someone knows about a zip cracker that runs on multicores, please tell me), but I don't want to lose time searching in areas already explored.
So ? Any clue ? Did someone contacted Andrew 'GriffonUK' Bryant ?

As I've seen, you've already tried 8 chars length passwords. Should I go with 9 (it will take weeks...) ?

Feel free to contact me by mail
++EG

:welcomeblue:

hello ElGuillermo.

I honestly don't understand what's going on here, can someone explain? You're trying to get the passwords from some zip archives... that are in a zip archive? And the fact they're in an archive is messing up you're de-passworders?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
we need a complete file to match - anyone here who has one of the files?
like fighter2t-03mk2.pof or GriffOpening01.fs2

that will be a great help...

Hi

Has anyone managed to get the TMdemo.zip file ?
The readme.txt file could be the same as the one within the encrypted TM.zip... I just can't download TMdemo.zip, webarchive doesn't seem to store large files.

btw, a brute-force attack, even on a fast CPU, will take forever (I mean years), so I suggest we focus on social-engineering : find the password author aka Andrew Bryant.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
TM demo.zip is on fileplanet.  You can D/L it there.  The demo contains a readme.rtf, so it clearly is not the same file.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
Has anyone managed to get the TMdemo.zip file ?
The readme.txt file could be the same as the one within the encrypted TM.zip... I just can't download TMdemo.zip, webarchive doesn't seem to store large files.

no, the readme files are different  :(

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
You know, zip files aren't encrypted when they're password-protected.  It merely denies access based on the keyword.  In short, you shouldn't have to actually have to crack the password to pull data from the file.  In fact, disk recovery software might let you start pulling the data.

Also, 10 to 1 the password is related to the campaign - in short, a brute-force attempt is overkill because the string will not be a properly constructed password.

I'll take a shot at it.
Actually, ZipCrypto is a .ZIP encryption type.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
What about opening it up in a hex editor you might get lucky

or the password might be his HLP forum password (pretty shure the password is in a text file someware on the server  ;7)

or try the file name.  :D
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Anything personal to him or something maybe?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well if the software I'm using is working then every possible combination of 4 characters is ruled out.  That's all ASCII values not just numbers and letters.  Other stuff is still running.  All lower case letter/number combinations of 6 characters will be finished checking later today.  As for the others 7 might be done in 3 weeks and 8 by the end of the year.  I also just started an all ASCII values for 5 characters.  No ETA on that one.

If we get an organized attack going we could knock out 7 in a day and 8 by the end of the week.  I started with numbers so someone start with letter a, someone with A then someone with m, then next person split between there, etc, etc, etc. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 03:20:00 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

huh...
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
CrackTM.zip@home, powered by BOINC.

I wonder how feasible this would be... :nervous:

:lol:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
It's definitely 7+ characters long. I'm up well over 3 trillion (3000 billion) passwords by now.

Ask the admins to look into trying his forum password--it's doubtful. As it is, the password has symbols, spaces, or upper-case letters. I've been continuing an aggressive dictionary attack but it's only up a billion or so--it's the PII running it. To say the least, brute-force takes forever when you don't know what the password contains. If we could eliminate even one aspect of the password it'd be better. I'll download the demo and see if we can get any matches--unlocked plaintext is pretty much instant unlock.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:42:44 pm by Bob-san »
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.