Author Topic: What games are you playing?  (Read 9668 times)

Re: What games are you playing?
Most recently, I've been playing Portal (working on advanced and challenge maps) and Silent Hunter III (completing run through the war before picking up IV).  I've also got a game running in the Fall From Heaven official MOD for CivIV, but that seems to be on hiatus at the moment.

I also had a recent, aborted attempt to make another run through Extraction Point, but really, if you're going to play FEAR, play the original and skip the awful expansions.  It's not like they're really canon to the FEAR continuity anyway.

I might have another round of FRED and FS2 coming up this summer....  It seems that campaigning in Silent Hunter often precedes another return to FreeSpace.

I also had a recent, aborted attempt to make another run through Extraction Point, but really, if you're going to play FEAR, play the original and skip the awful expansions.  It's not like they're really canon to the FEAR continuity anyway.

Extraction Point is actually pretty good. It's more tense, psychologically than the original.
       The thing I didn't like about it is the "oh, Paxton's back and there's no real explanation for it. Just get to it".

I couldn't get the second xp to run, Perseus Mandate, but it honestly from what I knowit doesn't make sense. Another FEAR team? And this guy does slow mo too?? Eh, whatever. The whole point of slo mo was because the original guy was special. Add a second no-name to that list, and suddenly he's not so special anymore.

My feeling was that FEAR was an exceptional first-person shooter, and the expansion packs, while they would have been 'meh' on their own, are pretty bad given the inevitable (and somewhat necessary) comparison.  The level design isn't designed around the AI's strengths as well as in the first game, and the above-average plot of the original was tossed straight out the window by the time you're fifteen minutes in.  Expansion packs really need to improve upon or at least offer content of the same calibre of the original game, and the FEAR expansions are definately some big backward steps.  I don't know what else TimeGate Studios has developed to this point, but Extraction Point and what I know about Perseus Mandate don't inspire a great deal of faith in me about their skill as game developers.

Offline Davros

I guess not everyone's like that since a lot of people are listing 10 games or more.

no never.....

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
FS2
Half-Life 2
All the Episodes
Just got Counter Strike: Source/ Day of Defeat: Source
Garry's Mod
Age of Empires 1/2 (have 3, but I can't play it)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Star Wars: Empire at War/ Forces of Corruption/The Stargate Mod
BtRL
Empire Earth II
Portal
Team Fortress 2
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oni
Star Wars: Empire at War/Forces of Corruption
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Battleships Forever

That's about all the games I have and that I have played within the last year or so...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Just installed Sins of a Solar Empire, might give that a go now.

Other than that, i'm playing surprisingly few games as of late. All my game-time seems to be taken up by intertube surfing, downloading obscure movies and TV shows, and other, less important things like going outside.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Davros has about 10 games that i can't seem to hunt down in Singapore.

Playing :
Orange Box
Homeworlds 1 & 2 (btw, I just finished the Kadesh mission, I managed to swipe ALL the multi-beam frigates W00T)
Sins of a Solar Empire
Finishing up Overlord later
Bioshock'

=edit=
I missed out a few.

Forged Alliance
C&C: Kane's Wrath
DoW Series.

Considering re-installing Hellgate London, F.E.A.R. I also finally laid my hands on Oblivion.

I just finished playing UaW too.

Extraction Point is actually pretty good. It's more tense, psychologically than the original.
       The thing I didn't like about it is the "oh, Paxton's back and there's no real explanation for it. Just get to it".

I couldn't get the second xp to run, Perseus Mandate, but it honestly from what I knowit doesn't make sense. Another FEAR team? And this guy does slow mo too?? Eh, whatever. The whole point of slo mo was because the original guy was special. Add a second no-name to that list, and suddenly he's not so special anymore.

I know what you mean. I played Extraction Point mainly cause Little Mummy was helpful now. She wipes out a battalion of Replican Elites, then you can hear her voice whisper 'You're safe now.' Oh, also cause I could carve my name in the wall with the Laser Carbine W00T!

Perseus Mandate is ... Meh. Just ... Meh. The appearance of a second slow-mo guy is so weird. I thought the whole reason the Point Man was special cause he could Slow-Mo, and that's cause he's Alma's son. Perseus makes it seem like every F.E.A.R member has slow-mo.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 08:51:41 pm by Stormkeeper »
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Just played a 3 and half hour game on the smallest map I could find. This game rocks.

Just played a 3 and half hour game on the smallest map I could find. This game rocks.
[/quote]

Ah for a second I thought it was Relic's new game. Saw a while ago on, Reviews on the Run or EP that the guys who made homeworld were doing a new game in a similar vein, though they were trying to make the interface more accessible for everyone who doesn't get it.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Ah for a second I thought it was Relic's new game. Saw a while ago on, Reviews on the Run or EP that the guys who made homeworld were doing a new game in a similar vein, though they were trying to make the interface more accessible for everyone who doesn't get it.

I don't get how the interface could be more clear than what it was in HW2. I mean, they added a HUD for goodness sakes, and on top of that, practically everything was on the XZ plane. There weren't anymore formations either. Pretty much all of the complexity of the game was removed with HW2; if they made it any simpler then they'd be making like a flash game or something.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!

I still havn't finished mine on one of the largest settings. I've maxxed out the tech tree too, and have two HUGE fleets running amok around. Luckily I've cornered one of the factions in 3-4 systems, so they SHOULD be going down pretty fast.

Btw, i've been at it for the better part of a week.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
It sounds like I'll have to get this game.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

It sounds like I'll have to get this game.

Have you guys played that Galactic Civilisations II game? That looks kinda interesting, MOO1-style thing, but I didn't pick it up yet.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Hegemonia: Legions of Iron

A FS2 mod for it would be awesome.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm all supreme commander at the moment... UEF will always be the best... :yes:,  Ok 2nd best to the GTA,...Yeeah i left the V out on purpose :beamz:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I'm all supreme commander at the moment... UEF will always be the best... :yes:,  Ok 2nd best to the GTA,...Yeeah i left the V out on purpose :beamz:

Fatboys own!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Fatboys own!
Hmm, you might want to check out this thread then. It's your health, after all.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Hmm, you might want to check out this thread then. It's your health, after all.

When I said Fatboys, I was referring to the UEF Experimental Mobile Factory.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
As of this moment, Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy. Class 1 Marauder Suits > You.

Recently, EVE, GalCiv 2 Dread Avatar (which is kicking my ass), and MechCommander 1 and its expansion in prep for playing MC2 and Magic's Unofficial Expansion again. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story