Author Topic: FSO on a Pentium 3? X_X  (Read 1851 times)

FSO on a Pentium 3? X_X
Well, so my motherboard died, bought it, got 0wn3d, whatever you want to call it, and I had to downgrade to a pentium 3 1ghz CPU.  My ram was halved to 512mb, but was able to keep my ATI Radeon 9550 256mb Video Card intact.  Now, my problem is, I'm having really terrible FPS when there is a ship on screen.  I tried cutting off every option in the launcher, and it didn't do much.  I even took out the VPs except for mv_core and it still didn't make much of a difference.  When I look in direct space, I have 60 fps, but as soon as a ship enters the field of view, it drops to 2-3.  Is there any way I can get it to run, or am I just out of luck?
Eddie Guerrero R.I.P. 1967-2005

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: FSO on a Pentium 3? X_X
You may need to flush your cache folder, in the data folder!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
What's your resolution? Can't go very high with 9550.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:09:37 pm by castor »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Any rogue VP's lying around in your main FS2 folder?

Did you keep everything else like the HD and power supply intact?  Basically did you put the P3 board in the P4 case?  If so you may need to install chipset drivers for the MB to work properly with the video card.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I can tell you right now that that is the FPS you should be getting. I get 60 in open-space, 20-30 in battle, <10 in super-intense high poly uber battle, and 5 FPS whenever I look at any Terran capship in Blue Planet

Specs:

P4 1.5 Ghz
Radeon 9550 Pro 256 MB
2 GB PC133 RAM
1280*1024 resolution
3.6.10b MediaVPs, on the highest settings and including the AdVPs.

Make sure you're using OpenGL and not Direct3D.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

I'll try flushing the cache.  I'm running at 800x600 or 1024x768 I believe, like I did with the old processor when it worked fine.  I don't believe any rogue VPs are floating around, all my mod ones are in their respective folders and just the basic media vps are there (no adveffects).  When I switched over I pretty much took the old mobo out, put the new one in, and retrofitted video card and ram, and it seems compatible because everything else works fine without a hitch, as much as a pentium 3 can do.  Hell, even Oblivion worked when I tweaked it enough.  I am running in OpenGL because I remember D3D didn't like nebulas that well.  Would I be able to use the retail models and the like, yet still use the scp and mv_core?  I just want to play it and the fancy campaigns again, I'm not looking for uber visuals.  And i'd rather not reinstall, because i'd cry.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Whoever said flush your cache, I want your babies.  It works beautifully now!  Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 01:01:41 pm by MrBig101 »
Eddie Guerrero R.I.P. 1967-2005