Author Topic: A really good, high-end Joystick  (Read 4064 times)

A really good, high-end Joystick
I have a budget of $50 for this.

I will be playing FS2 with it and probably Flight Simulator X too when I get it.

It should also be Vista-64 compatible.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Newegg only has a few joysticks, and the good ones dont have rotational capability. It cant twist on a straight axis.

Thank you.
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Offline Vretsu

Re: A really good, high-end Joystick
I have a Logitech Extreme3DPro. It can twist on its axis, has a throttle, a hat, and 12 other well-placed buttons.

I highly recommend it.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Saitek EVO Force. Best stick I've ever owned. (I've had 4, two Logi**** Attack 2 s and a Force 3d. One lasted three months and the other two didn't work)

Stay away from any Logi****.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102204...

Anyone else?

The EVO Force, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102508&Tpk=EVO%2bForce is over 2x the price, with worse reviews.

This Logitech Cordless Freedom here, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102205

Looks nice and under $50. Does it have twisting mechanism to turn on axis?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Couple of things.

A really good high end joystick is not $50.  High end is CH Products.  Those are going to be minimum $150 and upwards.  A good set (stick, throttle, pedals) will cost $400.  Why so expensive?  Well the CH Products sticks will last forever...they are close to bulletproof.  Unless you're a serious sim pilot these are overkill...especially for FreeSpace.

The next brand down is Saitek which makes a good product ranging from close to high end down to much more consumer oriented sticks.  I have a Saitek X-52 which is about $150ish and its a stick with twist/HOTAS setup.  I have a few flight sims and the added keys and really exceptional throttle make the difference.  For FreeSpace its not really needed but its a great stick to use.  If thats too much money then one of the Saitek lineup like the Aviator or one of the Cyborgs is a good bet.  They are reasonably solid sticks, with good features, and prices go from about mid $20ish upwards.

Based on some personal experience and allot of forum testimonials the logitech sticks are not worth it.  Continuous use will damage them quickly.  Some folks have had several replacements sent to them after the original stick died in weeks and months and ended up buying something else.  Logitechs sticks may have gotten better recently but most sim pilots recommend that people stay away from them.  There are always exceptions to the rule so if you do get one...it might be fine.  But a Saitek can be found for similar prices and chances are will be a better longer lasting stick.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Looks nice and under $50. Does it have twisting mechanism to turn on axis?
The EVO does, and I'd heed what Ice said.

I guess I will spring up the $10 for the EVO.

Thanks.

I dont have $150-$400 for just a joystick. Ha!

Well, I do have that cash, dont want to use it though.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Get the EVO force, if you can. The wireless is a bad option, though, it will slow response times.

Just ordered the VO Force.

Cant wait!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
You wont be disappointed.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3

Thanks.

Sounds like a good choice! 

Its just that when you said "really good, high end joystick" that means CH Products and that means some serious cash spent on it.  I just wanted to be clear on what is what in the area.  Been playing FreeSpace for ages but also some other flight sims so I spend allot of time reading and listening to other sim pilots and high end is not cheap.  Some of those guys go the extra mile and make cockpits for themselves to sit in.  Yeah its true... :)  I'm not nearly that crazy but everyone has their thing.

Let us know how the EVO Force works out for you.  Enjoy!
- IceFire

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures

Thanks.

Sounds like a good choice! 

Its just that when you said "really good, high end joystick" that means CH Products and that means some serious cash spent on it.  I just wanted to be clear on what is what in the area.  Been playing FreeSpace for ages but also some other flight sims so I spend allot of time reading and listening to other sim pilots and high end is not cheap.  Some of those guys go the extra mile and make cockpits for themselves to sit in.  Yeah its true... :)  I'm not nearly that crazy but everyone has their thing.

Let us know how the EVO Force works out for you.  Enjoy!
Like the BtRL cockpit

Oh yeah.

I heard there was some way to pilot the ship *from* the cockpit.

How?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
No, they physically built a cockpit. Out of metal and wood and put a TV and keyboard etc in it.

No, they physically built a cockpit. Out of metal and wood and put a TV and keyboard etc in it.

Oh yeah. I remember that. Was on Popular Science.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I knew your budget before I ever clicked the thread (originally). Sorry but yeah--I knew because of all the "high-end computers for <$500?" threads I've visited. Anyways--I have a Logitech Wingman Force 3D, but look at Thrustmaster if you can. They're not as good anymore, but they're still decent.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3

Thats just the tip of the iceberg.  That sort of thing has been going on for years.
- IceFire

A _really_ good high end joystick will cost you 800 bucks or so.  Not 50 :(

A fully modded HOTAS Cougar with Hall Effect Sensors plus the Uber II NXT mod will cost you just about that.  Throw in a little more for modded pedals.

Once you have that, you have a high end joystick. :)

I have a logitech Wingman Light.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg.  That sort of thing has been going on for years.

Some Flight Simulator fanatics do it regurlary.

Offline CaptJosh

I just wish I could find the stick to go with the Suncom SFS Throttle assembly I acquired some time ago. The throttle's a monster, and there's no XP software for this stuff, but you don't need it. Just tell Windows you have a generic stick with the right number of axes and hat switches and it works, The throttle plugs in to your keyboard port and game port and then you plug the keyboard and stick into the throttle. Both stick and throttle are programmable without software, and you can have up to four profiles. Plus this stick has the ability, if the sim supports it, to control port and starboard engines independently.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.