Author Topic: Cockpits... and some other stuff  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Cockpits... and some other stuff
I've seen some builds like "Cockpits redux", etc, but I have yet to get them working, first of all they're not compatible with the newer MediaVPS. Maybe they'd work with an older version, but I tried anyway with the new one, and normals were broken and no cockpit. Are there any other options when I'm running the latest Mediavps with normals, using the XT 314 build? Sorry if this has been answered; I did try searching for it, but I can't seem to find anything explaining it! :-)

Also, I guess I might as well ask: One issue the XT build seems to suffer from is these so-called "hiccups", are there any other builds supporting both widescreen and normal maps? Going to try out a few more to try out a few more.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Re: Cockpits... and some other stuff
I *think* at this stage it's either a build with normal maps OR widescreen, since they're on separate branches ATM. They'll come together soon enough if they haven't already. :)

As for cockpits, those cockpit builds basically just have partial support for cockpits in that they'll allow you to use a separate cockpit model and look around inside it. We can't yet do things like customised working HUD guages and stuff on those models - but I understand that those features are in the pipeline.

Once we can do that though, you'll certainly see some kind of working cockpit implementation reasonably quickly. :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
VA got it right.  Normal maps (XT) and widescreen (should be in trunk builds) are in different branches, though I don't anticipate them being merged anytime soon.  The cockpit model thing hasn't been used yet, though the feature is available in newer trunk builds.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Oh it's been used alright: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48726.0.html

However I can't go any further with building cockpits until the HUD stuff has been finished, but once that's in I'll definitely be going all the way. I've grown to quite like the concept of 3d cockpits. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline CaptJosh

I can tell you that taylor's March 14th Xt build has the widescreen fix in it.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I've seen some builds like "Cockpits redux", etc, but I have yet to get them working, first of all they're not compatible with the newer MediaVPS. Maybe they'd work with an older version, but I tried anyway with the new one, and normals were broken and no cockpit. Are there any other options when I'm running the latest Mediavps with normals, using the XT 314 build? Sorry if this has been answered; I did try searching for it, but I can't seem to find anything explaining it! :-)

Also, I guess I might as well ask: One issue the XT build seems to suffer from is these so-called "hiccups", are there any other builds supporting both widescreen and normal maps? Going to try out a few more to try out a few more.

Charging BFGreen...

:welcomegreen:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
VA got it right.  Normal maps (XT) and widescreen (should be in trunk builds) are in different branches, though I don't anticipate them being merged anytime soon.  The cockpit model thing hasn't been used yet, though the feature is available in newer trunk builds.

Well, I want to use cockpits in combination with normal mapping.
Normal maps for a cockpit can make a huge difference, if you put some effort in it.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Unfortunately that's not possible yet :(

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well, once it is, I'll make a pretty nice cockpit. ;)

I can wait. Right now, I'm too busy to model anything anyway.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Guess I gotta ask - I'm getting some lag when big laser beams fire, I'm running the newest beta of the MediaVPS pack, and I'm not really versed in where to look first - I know the standard quirks about betas, but I'm wondering if this could be a problem with the build i'm using - The March 14 XT build. But then again, the latest version did have some "advanced" effects which were stated only to be for advanced hardware. But I'm running a C2D 6600, 2 GB of ram and an 8800 GTX(Sorry, don't intend to be brag!), and I'd imagine the ram would take care of stutters like the ones I'm getting.

Also, thanks for the welcome! Seems like those beams are not very hospitable once you fly into them! :/

By the way - It's amazing how much you guys have made for this game, looking through a lot of stuff right now.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 08:55:17 pm by Nemesis6 »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I know there is a build that has both WS and -normal support. Wether or not it has any of the cockpit stuff n it or not is another matter.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
By advanced hardware they mean a P4 1.5 Ghz and a Radeon 9800.

Are you in D3D mode? (not good) Do you have VSync on?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.