Poll

Do you really think FS2 is the best space sim ever?

Yes, it's perfect!
Yes, although it has a few things that should've been improved before the release.
Yes, but there are many things that should've been improved before the release.
I don't know what to say, I don't find it that special.
To be honest I played better sims, I like FS2 only thanks to its moddability and the SCP.

Author Topic: FreeSpace 2: the best space sim ever?  (Read 18111 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: FreeSpace 2: the best space sim ever?
Yep, you didn't specify it, that's why I had to explain.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Maybe i should have specified...I knew what i was talking about
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Not the ones i played. Untill recently, i was limited to consols - you cant edit Colony Wars Trilogy, Battle Engine Aquilla, Dropship UPF or 90%of the rest of the games i own. The only 2 games that i own that were anythinh near editable were Worms and Worms Armageddon

Funny thing that I've managed to mod 80-90% of the games I own. Probably because I shun consoles for being unmoddable.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Wing commander was the best space-sim ever. Origin cocked up when they killed off the Kilrathi, revised Blair, killed off Tolwyn and removed conversation choices. That's why they went bust :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
:necro:
:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

I actually agree with most of Mobius' original points

In fact all the other fighter sims i own had better characters than the FS games with one exception:

Colony Wars 1 - It had only 3 noteworthy characters
*The Father - only apears in one cutscene and mentioned in half-a-dozen others. According to the official website, the Father and the General from Red Sun are the same character...
*The Tzar - never seen ever.
*The Narrator - Never seen - implied to be the player character

TRUE SHIVAN

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The entire point of FS2's lack of characters is to reinforce the feeling that the player is just a cog in the war machine. V even said as much. Combined with the high wingman casualty rate, it creates this bleak, clinical feel -- as if you, the player, sit down in the ready room before every mission and see only strangers, then fly missions to protect warships that will be sacrificed in an instant by Command if the tactical situation demands it.

Besides, the ships themselves almost become characters.

And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
sorry i cant vote on this poll, their either bias to one side or the other, i don't see a middle choice. however if i had to give my view, the jury is still out on freespace 2 as this new game Dark horizon is looming, once that is done i will give my view.

in war time choices have to be made that never sit too well with either one side or the other, to say it's bleak for the sake of choice is irrelevant you have no choice when your on the battlefield, nor can you quit when you signed on for the armed forces in the first place to do so would only dwindle numbers when it came to a critical moment that could either swing the war in yours or against your favor. and thats what i like about this game, i dont focus on what anyone wants, i just focus on finding a weakness in the enemy and exploit it, like you should be doing :).
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Uh, what? Can you clarify your general statement and whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with something in particular?

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
how can i clarify anything without any real oppositon to the game? thats only going to come in the form of this new game and without any opposition i can not make a determination. but if you want my opinion of fs2, i can do that.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

I tend to agree with Colonel Dekker about the lack of immersion. Although I wasn't expecting anything like you see in Wing Commander, I found the  cold feel of the briefings just added to the lack of atmosphere. Remember the first mission of FS1 in which the guy briefing you mentions a Lt. Harbison as being your wingman? And the banter that follows in the mission? I would've liked to have heard more like that throughout both games.

I also think that because you don't take on the role of a character with any depth (e.g. Blair in WC or Ace Azzameen in X-Wing: Alliance) that also means less immersion. But I don't think it's always necessary to have the player take on the role of a character with some background behind him/her to make it feel more "real." BtRL is a step in the right direction with the pilot chatter and the briefings.  :yes:

I could go on about the ship speed, unrealistic collision damage, lack of Newtonian space physics, the plot and the FS universe's inconsistencies between FS1 and 2 blah blah blah but I won't as I'm sure it's been mentioned here already. FS just has something going for it that still makes me play it today. I do get the feeling though that I might see a new space combat sim that'll eclipse it and make me forget about FS altogether (The Tomorrow War, X3: Terran Conflict or whatever it's called...). I hope not though.

Offline Fenrir

• ?
I always found FS to be pretty immersive even though your character is sort of ambiguous. I half suppose that it doesn't seem "immersive" to many now because they've been playing it for the past 10 years and have been busily dissecting every aspect of it in the meantime. <_<

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I tend to agree with Colonel Dekker about the lack of immersion. Although I wasn't expecting anything like you see in Wing Commander, I found the  cold feel of the briefings just added to the lack of atmosphere. Remember the first mission of FS1 in which the guy briefing you mentions a Lt. Harbison as being your wingman? And the banter that follows in the mission? I would've liked to have heard more like that throughout both games.

I also think that because you don't take on the role of a character with any depth (e.g. Blair in WC or Ace Azzameen in X-Wing: Alliance) that also means less immersion. But I don't think it's always necessary to have the player take on the role of a character with some background behind him/her to make it feel more "real." BtRL is a step in the right direction with the pilot chatter and the briefings.  :yes:

I could go on about the ship speed, unrealistic collision damage, lack of Newtonian space physics, the plot and the FS universe's inconsistencies between FS1 and 2 blah blah blah but I won't as I'm sure it's been mentioned here already. FS just has something going for it that still makes me play it today. I do get the feeling though that I might see a new space combat sim that'll eclipse it and make me forget about FS altogether (The Tomorrow War, X3: Terran Conflict or whatever it's called...). I hope not though.

I will say that I found the cold atmosphere of the briefings to be one of the most atmospheric and immersive things about the game -- so perhaps it's a matter of perception and taste! Even the art design contributed to that feeling.

Are you sure it's not that very atmosphere which provides the 'something going for it' you describe? Or perhaps it's the game's level of polish?

I always found FS to be pretty immersive even though your character is sort of ambiguous. I half suppose that it doesn't seem "immersive" to many now because they've been playing it for the past 10 years and have been busily dissecting every aspect of it in the meantime. <_<

I will say that I found the cold atmosphere of the briefings to be one of the most atmospheric and immersive things about the game -- so perhaps it's a matter of perception and taste! Even the art design contributed to that feeling.

Are you sure it's not that very atmosphere which provides the 'something going for it' you describe? Or perhaps it's the game's level of polish?

Yeah I should've said that it isn't totally lacking in immersion. Maybe just lacking a bit of that human touch is all I meant. The desperation of the situation, especially in the later FS2 missions definitetly added atmosphere for me. Hmm yeah you may have a point there about the cold atmosphere providing something.

But the wingmen are very faceless, not to say nameless (well, apart from Snipes for one) and just seem to die without anyone batting an eyelid - even if the mission was successful there's no mention in the debriefings about the cost in human life involved when most of your flight or squadron gets splashed - it would have added more character if the debriefs mentioned that sort of thing (or maybe command just isn't meant to care about that stuff :doubt:). I suppose it's because the FS story experience is plot-based and not character-based, at the end of the day.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, I think it's in part because no one cares. The only times human deaths are really mentioned are when warships or transports go down.

Fighter pilots appear to be, in the greater scheme of things, expendable. Informed on a need-to-know basis and discarded as pawns, even when the game doesn't make sense.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Well the lack of proper characters in the main campaign is why i prefer Homesick, Blue Planet and Derelict. They have some good charaters, especially Leftenant "Duct-tape" Macky

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt has voted.

Whatever anyone says, FreeSpace 2 is not perfect. It has a good number of errors in it, in particular the briefing and debriefing texts. The Colossus died in a not-so-glorious way, there aren't enough missions focusing on stealth ships, I find myself flying Terran bombers most of the time, and there's only one campaign. There's no point in having a Campaign List if most people hardly touch FRED to do a campaign in retail FS2.

FreeSpace 2 is a great game, no doubt, but it has too many errors for me to ignore, so I've voted accordingly.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline eliex

Freespace retail is a great game, but it isn't a kind of game that you want to play over and over again, for the average casual gamer, because the campaign does have some things to improve, like ( according to a friend who I tried unsuccessfully to play Fs2Open )

Only 3 types of missions
- Assault
- Defend a convoy for 10 mins <  :o >
- SOC missions

The retail campaign according to my friend was so boring that he quit Fs2open totally after the Endgame.

Well he may have a point there. The retail campaign involves repeatedly blowing stuff up;FS is a bit like an FPS but in space after all. But with FRED the possibilities for making more interesting missions are there.

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Of course there are also those to whom FreeSpace simply doesn't appeal. Maybe he was one of them.