Author Topic: Freespace V.S. Star Wars Part Four  (Read 18294 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Re: Freespace V.S. Star Wars Part Four
I would have preferred a Shivan Vs. Empire rather than Shivan allied with Empire kind of story, since they both have seemingly unlimited resources, and the GTVA and rebel alliance would be caught in the middle.

Maybe because the canon information proves that SD shields can dissipate teratons of energy per second

First off energy isn't measured in tons. Secondly it's Freespace canon that beams of any kind can penetrate any kind of shields. If that wasn't enough, freespace fighters are (in general) more heavily armed and armored plus a shielding system is standard issue, whereas Tie fighters would get torn apart very quickly not only from fighters but also flak from capital ships.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

He means teratons of TNT equivalent.

Besides that, we have no proof at all FS shields for the same way as SW shields.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Does it matter what you all think? It just matters what the author thinks and what he writes. Besides, in a competition of fanboys (no offense to anyone) no one will win.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
We should just trust Shivan Emperor's judgement on balancing out FS and SW. These fanboy arguments make me sad.

Offline Gold Leader

• Gold Squadron Lives!
    • My Personal Gallery
Hi all :)

Well imho I prefer Starwars which is obvious A it's much older and B it's build up is in many cases wider, the expanded universe is just massive, where FreeSpace well just isn't comparable to it.

but on the other hand the FreeSpace series are a very good alternative I like both very much, the Wing Commander series is something better built up than the FreeSpace series though but hey, that's my little opinion there ;)
Holder of The World's Largest Descent/Freespace Collection.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
In my opinion, Star Wars is incoherent because of the EU. I mean, George Lucas had a clear vision of what he wanted to do with Star Wars. But then all these random comic writers and book authors came along and messed up his vision. They added some random crap with fifty billion Sith lords and even more Jedi masters and added random crap like the Yuuzhan Vong... IMO the only Star Wars are the first 3 movies. The rest is fan fiction.

Offline Gold Leader

• Gold Squadron Lives!
    • My Personal Gallery
In my opinion, Star Wars is incoherent because of the EU. I mean, George Lucas had a clear vision of what he wanted to do with Star Wars. But then all these random comic writers and book authors came along and messed up his vision. They added some random crap with fifty billion Sith lords and even more Jedi masters and added random crap like the Yuuzhan Vong... IMO the only Star Wars are the first 3 movies. The rest is fan fiction.
well the rest is the expanded universe ;) same thing you have with Star Trek, the Movies EP 1 through 6 are just a small glimpse of a massive as wide universe, just as an example on how the Starwarse universe is like, there were much greater events even before the birth of Master Yoda himself, the expanded universe makes the Star-Wars universe as big as it really is since there is much much more than "just" the movies. all the books of the DarkSaber series the X-Wing Series and so on they also tell apert of the star wars universe, it's much larger than you could possibly think , but that doesn't matter :)
Holder of The World's Largest Descent/Freespace Collection.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
George Lucas had a clear vision of what he wanted to do with Star Wars.

I wonder....I wonder.. :rolleyes:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I wonder....I wonder.. :rolleyes:
Well, he did. Then he became an idiot for some reason.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Well, he did. Then he became an idiot for some reason.
No, then he got shareholders.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

he was actually quoted saying that after indiana ones (the first three) They became buisinessmen, not filmmakers. Though that is taken slighly out of context, he also said that after Young Indy, they decided to become filmmakers again... now THAT is something to wonder at...
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline eliex

I prefer Episodes I-III just because it's more realistic compared to the original trilogy and more sub-stories to it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I prefer Episodes I-III just because it's more realistic compared to the original trilogy and more sub-stories to it.
So a 9 year old blowing up a military installation is realistic? :wtf:

Offline eliex

Anakin was . . . special and besides no matter how strong the warrior is, luck determines his fate.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
How was the prequel trilogy more realistic?
Some of it hardly made sense.

KotOR is awesome though...even though its EU. KotOR2 not so much, but its still decent.
It's also far off enough not to completely mess up anything in the original trilogy. (though the hardly-any-tech-development-in-10000-years thing is slightly weird).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline eliex

How was the prequel trilogy more realistic?
Some of it hardly made sense.

I dunno . . . some of the good guys actually die . . . all the sub-plots fit together to create the terrifying change of Anakin to D.V.

Like in the original trilogy, in episode VI Leia gets shot in the arm and it isn't even seriously hurt, but Han can just shoot a stormtrooper who is fully armoured and the stormtrooper dies straight away.

OK, well I guess that my view is odd, so I'm ending my case.  :p

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
KotOR is awesome though...even though its EU. KotOR2 not so much, but its still decent.
You do remember KotOR was rushed out of development by LucasArts, and so is nowhere near its intended completion state?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Saying the prequels were more realistic is like saying sugar is saltier than salt.

The whole point of Star Wars is that it's not realistic. That's what makes it fun
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Like in the original trilogy, in episode VI Leia gets shot in the arm and it isn't even seriously hurt, but Han can just shoot a stormtrooper who is fully armoured and the stormtrooper dies straight away.
Plot armor.  A storytelling device from time immemorial. :p

(Plus, Han probably had a bigger boomstick.)