Author Topic: Shooting from the hip  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Shooting from the hip
This may sound like a silly idea but is it possible to edit a missile or bomb so that it doesn't require a lock to fire? (Helios for instance)

If you can do this would it mean that the missile or bomb would not be able to work in tracking mode as well as "free fire"?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yes. There is a tag on large bombs called "No Dumbfire" that disallows firing if no aspect lock is acquired. Removing this tag allows the bomb to be fired without a lock.

Shivan bombs are identical to GTVA bombs (more or less), but the most notable difference is the absence of a "No Dumbfire" tag on them, meaning they can fire without achieving lock. So much for the use of EMP on enemy bombers to stop them firing their bombs.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Starwing

You have to fire the EMP into the fired bombs. Their engines will fail and they will sit there until someone comes and kills them.

Oh, and there is another tag called "lockarm" that will make missiles fail to arm if fired without lock.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Interesting stuff, I think I'll mess around and see what I can do. Thanks guys.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
In the case of the weapons.tbl, there are lots and lots of tags you can play around with. The easiest way is to play around with existing properties and see what they do.  

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Very true.....you can have lots of fun with it.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
What, like have a pirana fire 12 piranas?  

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm sure it can be done.  

Starwing

I always wondered what would happen then...
1 Piranha fires 12, which fire again 12 each, which again fire 12 each... I don't really dare to try that out...

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Sounds bad for the computer......
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
My thoughts exactly. It could destroy the Freespace universe!!  

Bushwacker

Ah, so we have the Chain Reaction Torpedo.  Stage 1 is a single Harbinger-looking missile, stage 2 is 2 piranhas and 3 infyrnos with long-range bomblets, stage 3 is the seeking submunitions from the piranhas and the bomblets from the infyrnos.  Loads and loads of fun to play with.  Just don't have a cluster bomb create more of its own kind, otherwise you'd have a very nasty chain reaction (We're talkin' el-smacketh-la-sathanas(eth)-la-hella(eth)-farreth-andeth-backeth...) that is provided your cpu doesn't scream in agony from a reduplicating fractal infinity complex (which is even more fun to play with..  )

[This message has been edited by Bushwacker (edited 03-19-2001).]

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I'll have to make one of these and attack the Sathanas with it  

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
how about having it spawn 3 helios and three more piranhas?

[fears for possible implications]Could it spawn meson bombs perhaps?[/fears for possible implications]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
  @ all you guys  

Seriously though, the respawning thing has plenty of capabilities. If it can be manipulated by sexps, that would be even more cool.  

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Just for sheer comedy value I tested the limits for this one...

I had a piranha spawn 3 piranhas, my computer hung after the fifth or sixth spawning  

Then I really went overboard and had a piranha spawn 50 (not messing here, it really does say 50) Helios torps.
I fired two at a sathanas at close range (note to self: have finger hovering over thrust button) and make a damn quick getaway, the light show was pretty incredible  

You've probably guessed by now that I was (still am?) the type of kid who liked to play with matches  

[This message has been edited by Maeglamor (edited 03-21-2001).]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I don't know about you guys, but I spent a good whole hour playing around with SSM.  

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Here's an idea- have a Helios spawn a single Helios, but make it's lifetime only about .05 seconds... See what happens.  

If I guess correctly, you will have one big moving shockwave.

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!