Author Topic: HLP invaded by Carl!  (Read 29195 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
HLP invaded by Carl!
See here and here for background.

So, after some consultation with Admiral Nelson and Galemp, I've been able to arrange to have the high-poly Shivan model made into a real-life plastic figurine. :)

It is made of ABS plastic (good strong stuff; the same thing that Legos are made of) and can fit into a 6" high cube.  It will arrive in time for BrickFair, so we ought to be able to kick off the HLP Carl exchange in style. :)

Now here's the thing.  Getting the model made required an investment from the HLP fund.  So, for anyone who wants to use the Shivan model for the HLP Carl exchange (or any other purpose, for that matter), we are asking for a donation to be made.  $10 is suggested.  Once the model itself is paid off, surplus donations will go into the HLP fund just like any other donation.

Thanks should go to Venom/Nico for creating the original Shivan model, to Galemp for fixing it up and exporting it to the required format, and to Admiral Nelson for finding the model prototyping site.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:08:17 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Sooooo If I wanted my own Shivan model what would I do?  (Not that I actually expect to get one).
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Nice. No LEGO-Con for me, but I did sign up already for this exchange. Carl may be getting some nice South Beach sun. :cool:
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sooooo If I wanted my own Shivan model what would I do?  (Not that I actually expect to get one).
Submit the model file here and ask for a quote.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I think he means he wants his own. To keep.

It's a bit pricey...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
how much do you need to recieve total?
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Sweet.  :nod:
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

A mini-Shivan through your letterbox...yikes. Is that the actual figurine or just the 3D model? Just wondering if it'll be made of coloured plastic. Is it posable?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
how much do you need to recieve total?

With shipping and taxes it's about as much as it costs to run the server for three months. You can find the total if you're interested.

Is that the actual figurine or just the 3D model?
That's a render of the 3D model they'll be using.

Just wondering if it'll be made of coloured plastic.
It will be solid black, but if anyone wants to paint it...

Is it posable?
Nope, sorry. Articulation is theoretically possible but only with trial and error. So far I've only ever seen ball joints done with any success, so unless you want it to flop around limply we're going for a sculpture and not a figurine.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Ummm, where can I find the file for this model? I REALLY want to start messing about with shivans :D
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Yep model source ftw :yes:

we are asking for a donation to be made.  $10 is suggested.  Once the model itself is paid off, surplus donations will go into the HLP fund just like any other donation.

FAir enough, but TEn quid each?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ummm, where can I find the file for this model? I REALLY want to start messing about with shivans :D
For the POF file, it's floating around somewhere.  For the model prototyping file, ask Galemp if he'd be willing to share it.

FAir enough, but TEn quid each?
If you want to borrow the plastic model, then yes.

$10 is about the lowest possible amount we could ask for and still be able to pay it off within a barely reasonable period of time.  Of course, we could charge a higher price and get it paid off faster, but I doubt many people would care for that.  (But we're always happy to be surprised. :))

$10 is about the price of three cups of coffee at Starbucks, or two movie tickets, or one gourmet hamburger meal.  I don't think it's an unreasonable request.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken