Author Topic: FRED2Open and mods  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Joey_X

Seems FS2Open does a great job at detecting total conversion mods in their respective .vp files. What about FRED2Open?

Say, for example, I want to script a mission using the FSPort mod. Let's say I want to involve the Apollo, Valkyrie, Medusa, and the Scorpion in the mission. The FSPort mod vp's contain a lot of information such as models that don't exist in the retail vp's. Seems FRED2Open only checks the retail vp's for data to be placed in the mission. How would I go about placing these ships in the mission without having to extract the vp information to my hard drive (thereby replicating data that already exists in .vp format)?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Create a shortcut to FRED, Choose Properties and add -mod Modname after whatever is in the target box.

Make sure the Start In Box isn't empty while you're there. It should have the path to the folder you have the game (Not the mod) in but sometimes it has nothing.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Joey_X

Offline Joey_X

What about moving ships around in FRED2Open?

In FRED2, I used to be able to click on a ship model anyplace and be able to drag it around around the mission wherever I needed it. In FRED2Open, I have to click in a certain spot in order to move it. It can get quite annoying looking for that certain spot, especially when I need to drag a fighter over large distances.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah. That is rather annoying I agree. Not something I know how to fix though.

I've just gotten used to using the editor to place ships where I want anyway. Although the sweet spot is pretty close to the name tag so after a while it gets fairly easy to find it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Alternatively, place the ships first in fred2, then add everything else in fred2_open. :nervous:

I just meddled with a custom mission just now in fred2_open. Most of it was done in fred2, though, so I didn't need to move anything.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
My way of doing it is to use either rectangular selection or the ship list (Shift-H). Then press SPACE and activate the Move mode.

I also suggest you use the Select mode by default, and switch to the Move mode only if you need it.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Joey_X

That's definitely something I'll have to experiment with. Thanks. :yes: