Author Topic: Another Trancend Discussion (WARNING! Contains Major Spoilers)  (Read 4356 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Another Trancend Discussion (WARNING! Contains Major Spoilers)
rubbish I say.

If he returned to this universe, wouldn't he be again bound by it's rules? And if he left this one and went somewhere where the rules of our reality apply, wherever he went has it's own rules. Could he even function there? The fighter? His body?
And again, how does one go "outside" the universe?

See....too contrieved for my tastes.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
He got there because of the Sync.

When he got back, he was bound to the rules of this universe, so that's why it all started to behave weird and he could have destroyed everything.

It's like this, Trashman: you try to stick something large into a box too small for it. If you push hard enough, you'll destroy the box (along with causing some hefty damage to whatever it was you were trying to stick in there). I think that's exactly what happened with the Transcendant and the laws of our reality.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What makes you think it's bigger out there? Even if it is, to enter back here, it automaticly must lose all the extra weight to get back. It cannot get back with the extra weight.
The universe is not created to be broken easily - and being broken by one guy jumping around is redicolously easy.

Long story short - you won't convince me there's even a hint of logic in there...so let's just drop this.
No sense in turning this into a debate no one wants to hear anyway.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What makes you think it's bigger out there? Even if it is, to enter back here, it automaticly must lose all the extra weight to get back. It cannot get back with the extra weight.
The universe is not created to be broken easily - and being broken by one guy jumping around is redicolously easy.

Long story short - you won't convince me there's even a hint of logic in there...so let's just drop this.
No sense in turning this into a debate no one wants to hear anyway.

You're attacking the metaphor. The Transcend story makes perfect sense within the rules of a soft-SF universe, which Freespace is. And how would you know whether the universe can be 'broken' or not?

But let's just move on, like you suggested.

Offline Fenrir

• ?
That's what I figured.

And yeah, FreeSpace is strictly Sci-Fi. But that doesn't keep a custom campaign from being whatever you want it to be. Frankly, Transcend's difference from normal FS is why it's one of my favorite campaigns.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
'Strictly sci-fi'? Sci-fi is one of the broadest fields out there. Perhaps you're thinking 'strictly hard SF', which it's not, or 'strictly space opera', which it arguably could be, or 'strictly soft military science fiction', which is probably closest.

Offline Fenrir

• ?
I don't really know the difference between all the different (sub)genres, so it's more like I don't know what I'm talking about than anything else.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
What's wrong with Fantasy Horror in a Sci-Fi setting?

I like it for being different.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

What's wrong with Fantasy Horror in a Sci-Fi setting?

I like it for being different.

I just wished the missions were different instead of the same one over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Heh. I killed the cruisers for extra kills out of boredom.
Its nice that they keep coming back. :D

But yes, Transcend's greatest fault its massive, utterly massive, chain of run-to-and-from-the-node missions.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================