SOC Developments
11 (25.6%)
Additional races.
4 (9.3%)
Return to Sol.
5 (11.6%)
Further Shivan encounters.
4 (9.3%)
Vasudan/Terran rebellion/break away group.
9 (20.9%)
Other (specify).
10 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: February 28, 2002, 12:20:09 pm

Author Topic: What do you want in a story?  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
What do you want in a story?
We've had "what would you like in a campaign", this is a little more specific - what kind of things do you want in a story - possibly to be used as a campaign, possibly not. Assume modding rules for FS2 apply.

Edit:
Just to make it obvious, more than one option can be selected in this one ;)

Offline delta_7890

• Your Node Is Mine
I got the first vote!  :D
~Delta

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
I've voted all ;)
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I'd like a new, original story, or one that explores areas that have never been touched before.
For instance, my campaign (which I'm not hyping until the first third is completed, so you probably haven't heard of it;)) delves a bit into religion. Not enough, mind you, to make it one of those wierd games made by religious enterprises, but enough to add a new development in the story, or at least a nice little pre-campaign history.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
TCs! new universes, new ships, new weapons and this sounds like a pimp!

make more TCs! There great! (and now I sound like a frosteys advert!)
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Mystery - intrigue, etc.  I liked that whole hidden agenda thing in FS2, with the GTVa and Bosch, and also with Capella.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
Yeah! What he said in a TC!! (wait that sounds mighty farmilar.......)
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
A story line that will bring the player in and (hopefully) make them starve to death because they haven't eaten in two months due to the fact that they've been playing the campaign...
and go back to Sol!
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
    • http://www.ngproductions.nl
The Homeworld UNiverse, oh wiat i'm working on it.

www.geocities.com/fs2campaign

oh a liitle spoiler, something to do with capella after NOVA
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****

Offline Anaz

I want NO MORE SHIVANS!!! I want a campaign that does not involve a massivly-overpowering force that the poor good guys eventrually manage to overpower. I have never, and let me repeat that never played a computer game that pits the player against a weaker or equally matched force in a single player game (excluding tutorials), and all of the campaigns/storys seem to be the same way, With TBP, we have Minbari, with Freespace we have Shivans, with Derelict we have Shivans. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am getting rather sick of shivans and other vastly overpowering forces.

[/rant]
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
The story can be hum drum (blow up the big ship, save humanity type), I don't mind that.  But there has to be something more.  Not a twist in the story, but perhaps actual, real characters.  People who, when they die, actually cause the player to stop and feel for them.  I want wingmen who are your wingmen, not just cannon fodder.  I want more realism, I want emersion.  The story could be dull, uninspired, but the characters, they can make up for it all.  I want to feel part of the game, part of the world.  I don't want to be Alpha One, if you know what I mean.

And I kind of agree with Analazon, fighting against unstoppable odds is getting a bit boring.  I'd also like to know there are consequences to our actions (branching missions).  SOC loops aren't necessary, but used properly can add to the story.  Mystery, not important really, but a touch never hurts.  It's so much of a delicate balance that it takes time and effort.

I really should just make that campaign.  I wish I could actually make it.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Rebellions tend to work well as they have a more realistic feel to them. (I like rebellions, as can be seen here:D)

As Analazon said, the going-against-all-odds thing doesn't make any sense. That is one of the things I liked about FS2; the campaign did not have a lot of emphasis on that.

The element of mystery is also a very good thing and serves to keep the playing thinking and making predictions. (and keep playing the campaign to confirm or disprove those predictions;))

Any novel idea that has not been thought of or tried before would also be good.;)

As for the characters, that is one thing I must disagree with. Here is something I posted on another thread a while ago:

That is actually one thing I really liked about both the FS and FS2 main campaigns: there was not much focus on individuals but rather on societies and institutions. I have seen many games that place way too much focus on some insignificant individuals who, by themselves, do not play any consequential role in the course of the storyline and whose solitary actions don't mean much in the big picture. There should be information provided on the upper-ranking military and political leaders and their actions, but I don't like having much emphasis on the ordinary people, except in masses.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2002, 11:39:10 pm by 296 »

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
I like developement of the plot in a very artistic literative way. Much like a book, the only thing the FS lacked were Character developement and more philosophy. Also a bit cliched but it worked well...
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
I would like to see the Ancients return to kick Shivan butt.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I like new things - and I don't neccesarily mean mods. For example, I'm currently working on an NTF campaign, sure, playing as the NTF has been done before, but nowhere near as much as 'find the shivan, kill the shivan'. Vasudan campaigns would be A-1-SUPAR as well, or anything that puts you away from the standard "GTVA pilot on board a Hecate in Vega". Put em on board an installation, or, if you can do it, a small corvette with a moloch style fighterbay. Basically, I like anything that let's you break out of the square.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Characters. You missed characters... you need good characters. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Any good story need the following 3 things:

• Sexy ladies[/color]
    • Space-crack[/color]
      • A kick-ass rock'n'roll theme/soundtrack
      • [/color]

[/b]And some really good SOC stuff, obviously.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2002, 11:19:56 am by 397 »
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Originally posted by an0n
Any good story need the following 3 things:

• Sexy ladies[/color]
    • Space-crack[/color]
      • A kick-ass rock'n'roll theme/soundtrack
      • [/color]

[/b]And some really good SOC stuff, obviously. [/B]
:lol:
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
i like campaing where is dark conpiracy like GTVI is the enemy
and player can play with GTVI or with GTVA and i like

campaing where you can chose side like BWO
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Lonestar
I would like to see the Ancients return to kick Shivan butt.

you will love inferno then :)
SCREW CANON!