Author Topic: Joining The Diaspora Team  (Read 79682 times)

Offline newman

Re: Joining The Diaspora Team
Awesome, we has Fury! Welcome aboard, man.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Arrowofdarkness

• Programmer
Hi, my name is Steven Meyer I'm a C/C++ coder and I have experience with a few scripting languages too (Lua included) and I was interested in joining Diaspora if you're still looking for coders. I've messed around with OGRE and Torque and I have some passing experience with straight OpenGL and DirectX, but obviously I prefer working with engines (It makes things a lot easier)

If you're still interested let me know, I'd love to join the team.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hi, my name is Steven Meyer I'm a C/C++ coder and I have experience with a few scripting languages too (Lua included) and I was interested in joining Diaspora if you're still looking for coders. I've messed around with OGRE and Torque and I have some passing experience with straight OpenGL and DirectX, but obviously I prefer working with engines (It makes things a lot easier)

I suspect they are very interested.

Offline newman

Ooh a coder with knowledge of graphics code - I think it's safe to say we could definitely use you :) I suggest you show up on our irc channel at some point to discuss specifics. Preferably when Karajorma is around, as I'm just a 3d guy and can't really talk code (I'm guessing he'll be around in a few hours from now). Our irc channel is #diaspora, it's at irc.esper.net. If you happen to log in when he's not around I suggest sending a private message through this forum to karajorma.
Thanks and good luck.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Arrowofdarkness

• Programmer
Oh, and I should also add that I also have a Mac and Linux box so I can test cross-platform compatibility with our builds if someone doesn't already have one.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I've got the mac front covered already, but all I can test on Linux is if code compiles.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Arrowofdarkness

• Programmer
I've got the mac front covered already, but all I can test on Linux is if code compiles.

My Linux setup used to be Ubuntu/CentOS setup (I used it mostly as my test webserver before pushing out any major changes to the web) but I've neglected it for a while so I'll probably load the latest version of Ubuntu/Fedora on it. This actually has a decent enough graphics card in it so it should be able to play it decently enough.

Should I PM anyone or lurk on the forums for a while? I have a lot of free time on my hands because my winter break for college is until January 19th ... so thats plenty of time to get some serious coding done!   :)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
*snip* ... so thats plenty of time to get some serious coding done!   :)

i love the sound of that!

Offline Richard

You never called back for the translations. So I guess I'm useless now. Right?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nope, it's just that translations are one of the very last things we'll do. The story has to have been finalised and sent off for voice acting before we'll consider translating it. Otherwise we'd be asking you to repeat your work every few weeks when we updated the missions.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline demnim

Hello!

I am interested on joining you if possible :).
I am a Software Engineer and have lots of experience with C, Java, Python,...
I also know a little bit about Artificial Intelligence and game programing. (As a course project I wrote a Game in XNA using several freeware BSG 3d models).

I won't be able to work deeply until mid or end of february because I am very busy with my work, but you can count on me at anytime :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I had a chat with demnim on IRC about this. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Putting out a call in hopes of attracting some attention.

As you everyone should know we've made pretty cool progress in the last few months and are that much closer on getting R1 to a releaseable condition. There's still a couple of major issues standing in the way and one of them happens to be the interface.

The good news is that a big chunk of the work is already done; I've modeled, rendered and Photoshopped together what serves as background graphics for every single menu system in the game and one of our resident coders has managed to get it ingame and working. Problem is we need more than just a single pilot selection menu for the full game. Since real life has interrupted my ability to contribute to the project in a major way, this is where we could really use some help.

There's three things we'd need from you: Good Photoship skills, some graphic desing sensibilities and most of all, the ability of withstanding a lot of boring work.

Get in touch with me through a PM if you want to help and we can discuss further.

Offline Halleck

Hello All!

I am a professional programmer and amateur game developer, and a huge fan of BSG. I saw your trailers and they are jaw-droppingly awesome. I purchased a flight stick just so I could play the BtRL demo, loved it, and I'm hungry for more. I'm working my way through the advanced FRED tutorial in the manual and planning to make a small mission based off the BtRL demo for fun. I'm interested in volunteering for Diaspora over BtRL because it looks way cooler. :cool:

I don't have a huge amount of free time due to my day job, but I'd love to put in a few hours on the weekend working on small coding projects or FRED maps if you would like my help.

My main experience is with PHP, Java, and C# but I am looking for an excuse to pick up my C/C++ books again. My specialties are back-end server software, tools, automation, and audio.
I have a degree in sound design and can help out with dialogue processing and SFX creation and editing if necessary (although I'd prefer to do coding or level design.)

I have Mac OS X, Windows 7/XP, and Debian Linux systems available for building and testing on.

I hope we'll have a chance to work together soon.
Either way, good hunting!

Offline newman

Hello All!

I am a professional programmer and amateur game developer, and a huge fan of BSG. I saw your trailers and they are jaw-droppingly awesome. I purchased a flight stick just so I could play the BtRL demo, loved it, and I'm hungry for more. I'm working my way through the advanced FRED tutorial in the manual and planning to make a small mission based off the BtRL demo for fun. I'm interested in volunteering for Diaspora over BtRL because it looks way cooler. :cool:

I don't have a huge amount of free time due to my day job, but I'd love to put in a few hours on the weekend working on small coding projects or FRED maps if you would like my help.

My main experience is with PHP, Java, and C# but I am looking for an excuse to pick up my C/C++ books again. My specialties are back-end server software, tools, automation, and audio.
I have a degree in sound design and can help out with dialogue processing and SFX creation and editing if necessary (although I'd prefer to do coding or level design.)

I have Mac OS X, Windows 7/XP, and Debian Linux systems available for building and testing on.

I hope we'll have a chance to work together soon.
Either way, good hunting!

Your application looks very interesting there - the ability to code, fred and do sfx well would pretty much ensure you'd always have something to do :) As for your day job, don't fret - most of us have those; as long as you can devote some of your free time that's pretty much all anyone can ask. Considering your skill set it would probably be best if you got in touch with Karajorma directly; you can either try catching him on our irc channel (#diaspora, on irc.esper.net) or sending him a PM.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
FIRE THE BLUE ONE!

:welcomeblue:

:yes:

That ought to shave a month of the waiting time :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
With that particular pedigree, the sound code itself might be an interesting place to look, as the OpenAL code in trunk still seems a bit shaky on some sound cards.  Could use someone with both an interest and existing knowledge in that area.  I'm sure there's plenty of other things to do too.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays