Author Topic: GVC Aten - How would you fix it?  (Read 21343 times)

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
GVC Aten - How would you fix it?
I think we can all agree that the GVC Aten is pretty much crap. As an exercise in design, what would people here do to change or upgrade the Aten to be a more effective combat vessel?

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: GVC Aten - How would you fix it?
Upgrade the aden changing it's actual form?? (mesh I think they call it).
Or you mean by adding different kind of weapons and moving the subsistems to other "less exposed" sections of the hull?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Er, right. Maybe I should clarify. Yeah, I mean changing things like weapons, weapons placement, armor and speed ratings, and whatnot.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Make all turrets flak except for the two or three with the best firing arcs and put AAAf on those.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
well for a start I would replace the two forward laser turrets with AAA turrets, and that should prove enought, unleast against fighters, and you would still be leaving a weak spot (from the bottom) from where to attack, also moving the engine subsystem to somewhere else, like from a side of one of the thrusters
el hombre vicio...

Offline Kie99

Add 4 Ultra-AAAs, 2 on the top, 2 on the bottom, Several Flak Batteries, and BFReds on all other Turrets.  Increase armour to 1000000 hitpoints.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
For a start, better AAA coverage (no extra turrets needed - moving them around with suffice)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
For a start, better AAA coverage (no extra turrets needed - moving them around with suffice)

you think?? almost all of the turrets are weak lasers, no threat at all to an ares, herc II or any kind of bomber/sub-bomber.
there's an imposible spot to hit though, the turrets at the sides of the engines are all but imposible to hit!, putting two AAA beams there will give lots of trouble to the human players.

el hombre vicio...

Vasudan ships are traditionally top heavy with weak undersides in the firepower department. If you want to start moving turrets around, make a Terran ship instead.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The main Vasudan weakness is IMO their obsession with making their ships look artistic. By doing this they increase the surface area of the ship massively, meaning they have to include more turrets to cover all the weak spots of the ship. The turret's firing arcs are also horribly effected. Then the GTVA was formed and the Terrans got affected by Vasudan design flaws. The Orion's a big brick, while the Hecate is littered with little holes you can hide in and launch Cyclopes. If the Hecate had twice the amount of turrets I guess it would be effective, but if the Orion had as many turrets as the Hecate it would be one hard bugger to kill.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The main Vasudan weakness is IMO their obsession with making their ships look artistic. By doing this they increase the surface area of the ship massively, meaning they have to include more turrets to cover all the weak spots of the ship. The turret's firing arcs are also horribly effected. Then the GTVA was formed and the Terrans got affected by Vasudan design flaws. The Orion's a big brick, while the Hecate is littered with little holes you can hide in and launch Cyclopes. If the Hecate had twice the amount of turrets I guess it would be effective, but if the Orion had as many turrets as the Hecate it would be one hard bugger to kill.

QFT. I have a Orion with 27 turrets...NOT fun to attack.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

The Hecate's design is irrelevant. It's a fighter carrier, if enemy fighters are sitting in little nooks and crannies and not getting their ass shot off by defending fighters there's something wrong.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Build the Mentu instead.

The Aten I think was meant to be an older design...it doesn't even stand up well versus a Fenris and we know how bad those are too.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Krelus

Build the Mentu instead.

The Aten I think was meant to be an older design...it doesn't even stand up well versus a Fenris and we know how bad those are too.

Agreed, the Mentu is kinda supposed to be garbage. I tell you what, though, if you fly over that thing, it will give you a nice thrashing from its dual-AAAs. And then you sneeze on it, and it dies.

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
Put a new beam (or two), SVas#weak, and two AAAf's. Extra speed and manouverability, but leave exposed subsystems to "compensate".

Build the Mentu instead.

Agreed, the Mentu is kinda supposed to be garbage. I tell you what, though, if you fly over that thing, it will give you a nice thrashing from its dual-AAAs. And then you sneeze on it, and it dies.

:wtf: Doesn't the Mentu have 60 000 hitpoints? It won't just "die".
His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline Krelus

Put a new beam (or two), SVas#weak, and two AAAf's. Extra speed and manouverability, but leave exposed subsystems to "compensate".

Build the Mentu instead.

:wtf: Doesn't the Mentu have 60 000 hitpoints? It won't just "die".

Whoops, I meant Aten... Wow, I should stop posting after 11:00.

Offline MT

The Aten won't die when you "sneeze" at it; it has 80% more HP than the Fenris. You'll need a lot of "sneezes" to blow it up. The only thing is that you usually sneeze at it with little return fire from it.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
And yet, no matter how you position them, a Fenris will almost invariably be able to take out an Aten in FS1 and there's no contest in FS2

The Aten would be fixable by increasing turret armor (even at the expense of some hull points) and additional AAA weapons. The Aten actually has decent turret placement, but could use more turrets and better weapons. A beam weapon might be nice for taking on civilian and gunship type targets (Posidens can do a lot of damage to an Aten as is.) If not a beam weapon even a Fusion mortar.

The Fenris, in spite of its comparatively weak armor, is still far more effective than the Aten in every way in both games.

The Mentu is an excellent distraction. It doesn't have the firepower to be a serious threat to anything, but it can take down a few bombs, and absorb quite a few more. It can't really take out a competent player by any stretch, I'd take two Leviathans or an Aeolus over four Mentus, which I would take over eight Atens, when it comes to anti-fighter ability anyway.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:08:01 am by Mars »

Offline eliex

Obviously increase its pitiful armour . . . provide additional AAAf beams . . . perhaps increase engine speed so at least it can complete it waypoint paths faster or only absorb 1/2 the amount of a non-slash beam.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Add additional ULTRA Anti-Fighter Beams, as well as a VSlash or SVas.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?