The Truespace Programmers...

Shouldn't be programmers
5 (25%)
are in desperate need of therapy
12 (60%)
are totally awesome
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Truesh!t Programmers  (Read 3774 times)

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
A.1 Avoid Complex Hierarchies
A.1.1 Replace Glue as Child links with Glue as Sibling links in older models
Glue as Child is functionally equivalent to Glue as Sibling, but it tends to create much deeper hierarchies. Deep hierarchies kill performance in all versions of trueSpace, so we removed Glue as Child from trueSpace altogether. If you have some models created in an older version of trueSpace that have a lot of Glue as Child links, you can improve performance significantly by ungluing them and converting them to Glue as Sibling links.

So, the philosophy over at Truesh!t (*Ahem* I mean, Truespace) is this: If we have a performance problem with a feature, remove it!

:doubt:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL Maybe if they had better programmers, they could have optimised things instead, or maybe, you know, left it up to the person using the program?

And then they wonder why Truespace will never be considered one of the 'big' names in rendering...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Maybe they removed the glue with child to huff it?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Whoever they have for GUI design will be first up against the wall when the revolution comes.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
They're owned by Microsoft now and.......

Actually I think the rest of my point can be deduced from the first line. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
But I thought Microsoft's general programming philosophy was more along the lines of, "If we have a performance problem with a feature, increase its prominence!" :p

Offline Bluecap

• There I am and - what? Now I'm gone!
Truespace has always sucked, though. I got the first copy a long time ago with a Diamond FireGL card many, many years back, and the last time I used it (back in 2005) it was virtually identical to then. Carrara is a little better as far as mid-range priced programs go, imho.
"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was 'Oh no, not again'. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that, we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now." - HHGTG, Douglas Adams

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
inst hierarchy kind of important in a modeling program? i mean it makes no sense to remove it.

i still perfer truespace 6
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Truespace can be a bit unstable at times...  But I still prefer TS over COLLADA for importing ships into the game engine.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ive hated truespace when i used 3.2, then 4, 6 was probibly as good as it got. then 7 was just total ****ing bloat. then i started using max and that gives you everything you need to make a model.

ive hated cob/scn files since day one. we need support for other formats. converting through other formats and other programs presents other issues. such as duplicate points. the best proggie i ever used for getting my old models into max resulted in scambled vertex normals and duplicate verts. while they went through pcs1/2 just fine still, truespace is mostly for primitive modeling, not meshing and freespace requires a mesher.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN