Author Topic: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED [Updated V1.4]  (Read 451583 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED [Updated V1.4]
Silent Threat: Reborn - Director's Cut

After six years, numerous rewrites, substantial feature creep, and a few premature reports of project death, the FSPort Team is proud to finally bring you Silent Threat: Reborn. :D  Containing eighteen missions, 947 voiced lines, dozens of SCP enhancements (while retaining retail compatibility), and countless hours of work, the final result is something we're very proud of.  We hope you are as excited to play it as we are to release it. :)

And in 2015, we are very pleased to bring you the Director's Cut of Silent Threat: Reborn.  This latest version features something we envisioned way back in 2008 but weren't able to achieve until now: two fully-rendered cutscenes to bookend the campaign.  The intro cutscene was originally drafted by Galemp in 2008 but later completely remastered and rerendered by MjnMixael.  The outro cutscene is MjnMixael's original work and features two brand new music tracks composed by Dan Wentz himself!

As a bonus, the Director's Cut also includes earlier drafts of what became "More Than Meets The Eye", "Ghosts", "Cloak and Dagger", and "Secrets Reborn".  In particular, this version of "Cloak and Dagger" was very nearly the one included in the final release, and it's only fair that y'all have a chance to play it.  As for the others, I thought you might like to catch a glimpse behind the scenes and compare these versions with both their predecessors in Silent Threat as well as their final versions in ST:R.  These missions are not available in the course of the ST:R campaign but can be played via the tech room.

Screenshots

Downloads

You may download Silent Threat: Reborn automatically using Knossos or the FreeSpace Open Installer, or manually via the links below.  Silent Threat: Reborn requires a full copy of FreeSpace 2 as well as the FreeSpace Port.

ST:R Core FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: eb96a9ea4f999b12a55dd114c99a297d4fc25cd5
ST:R Voice Pack FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: 8257d9057d8ba0b74ebb169ff213ce6e1a174845
ST:R Cutscene Pack FeralHosting 480p 720p 1080p

The main download provides three mod.ini files, one each for a) using MVPs 2014, b) using MVPs 3.6.12, or c) not using MVPs.  The MVPs 2014 mod.ini is activated by default.

The voice pack is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.  Several missions virtually require it.  And it also delayed the release by about two years, so we think it's well worth waiting for. :)

The cutscene pack is also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

NOTE: If you liked ST:R, don't forget to give it a high score on the ModDB community ranking. :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:16:04 am by Galemp »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED
Known Issues: (green ones are bugs that have been fixed)

1) Vasudan Command appears instead of Terran Command - If that happens for you, make sure you have both the Port v3.1.1 and a bleeding edge nightly build (something after revision 5019).

2) It's possible to begin str11, "Betrayed", while you're disabled.  This is an oversight that has been fixed in the core VP.

3) In str06, "He Who Rides the Tiger", Lambda 1 will not dock with the Ratna if you are using the mediavps and your mod priorities are not configured correctly.

4) In str06, "He Who Rides the Tiger", Lambda 2 will not dock with the Ratna under an extremely rare set of circumstances; this has been fixed in the core VP.

5) We didn't have enough time to finish adding the Vasudan speech behind every Vasudan line, so certain lines will only have the translator and not the original speech.  This has now been patched.

6) In str06, "He Who Rides the Tiger", some people have reported not hearing a crucial message.  The timing should now be fixed.

7) In str16, "Blood of the Innocents", if you're playing on Very Easy, a critical game event may not work.  This should now be fixed.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:33:20 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Wheee! :D

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Got it! :D
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Woooo!
Huge well done to all those involved. :yes:

And for those who were wondering, the HTL Hades isn't done yet. :(
A nightmare-busy semester at uni saw to that, but I'm still working on it as fast as I can!
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Darius

Had a sneak peek of the campaign, finished it recently.

Wonderful high-quality missions, storyline and dialogue. This is a piece of work the ST:R team should be proud of. Missions were impeccably paced, intense (sometimes a little too much so; those damn Lokis were the death of me for more times I can count) and varied. The final battle was especially epic. It really did feel like we were throwing everything we had in a desperate battle (it was probably the feeling of being outnumbered and outgunned that did the trick). Did I mention Lokis? They were numerous, menacing and slippery little buggers to dogfight. I think they've traumatised me to the point that I'll be twitching involuntarily in the future every time I see them in a mission.

Oh, and the Zeus was useful for once, which is always nice. I like that ship.

If I had to be niggly, I'd mention the end-of-mission dilemmas that would crop up occasionally that most likely resulted in my death or the death of that which I'm trying to protect which left me having to restart the mission all over again, but then I'd see the hypocrisy in that statement and end up retracting it :)

Another great addition to the campaigns out there, a must-play and an instant classic. This is what Silent Threat should have been.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
As I've said on IRC, you guys have a jewel out of solid rock. And not just any ordinary jewel. ;)
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Just when I was looking for another singleplayer game... =)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I played a bit this morning - its epic!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
All you have to do is play some of these missions and you can see just how much work was put into it. I really do think that ST:R is a first for FS2_Open. It is standing on the line that divides a good game from a godly one.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Man, awesome. Someone should PM FSFreak and taunt him.

I can't wait to play this. Shame I have to wait to get back to school and my good computer.

Hey, Goob, any chance you can share your VA contacts with the Blue Planet team now?

Offline eliex

This is pure campaign gold.  :D
You have put a lot of effort into this.  :yes:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
On behalf of the team, thanks to all for the great comments. :)

Hey, Goob, any chance you can share your VA contacts with the Blue Planet team now?
I just finished updating the credits sections of the web page and wiki page.  (The readme has this information too.)  If you need more details, feel free to shoot me a PM. :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Holy crap, Christmas just got awesome. :D  I'm sorely tempted to throw away the better part of my Christmas Eve sleep for this, but I'll have to suffice with letting the files tantalize me on my desktop until I can get to it.  Thank you guys so much for taking the failed realization of an intriguing idea and running with it for so long to produce something spectacular.  The whole community is better off for your efforts. :)

(Oh, and thanks for the wild goose chase, too, even though I haven't quite found the end. :p)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I threw away the better part of my Christmas Eve sleep for this. :p
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I threw away the better part of my Christmas Eve sleep for this. :p

I'm about to :P

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Okay...so maybe I'll dip into it a bit. :p

Offline eliex

I think I will too.

Offline boewolf

Call me spankypants retarded but is this "-mod fsport-mediavps,fsport-str,fsport,mediavps" what I need to add to the mod.ini file  to use the media vps?  If so where do I add it?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
add it to the command line options in the launcher
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================